What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guerlain DERBY
vintage EdT

lemon, bergamot, artemisia, peppermint, pepper, mace, pimento, rose, jasmine, leather, sandalwood, patchouli, vetiver and oak moss

proxy.php

Sorry I'm late to the new thread, but I was laid up a few days with the stomach flu and could not post.

New Year's scent - Habit Rouge EdP
Monday - Carlos Santana (saw him on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve and considered it an omen)
Yesterday - self-generated offal (stomach flu in full tilt)
Today - Yatagan

But wait, you just wore Derby!

Yesterday I wore the new/current version, from the Les Parisiennes line. I wanted to compare it to the vintage juice, which I wore today and is supposedly THE leather chypre. I couldn't find my vintage sample decant so I ordered a 50mL bottle off the bay (good price but still expensive). It came in and I wanted a back-to-back comparison. The vintage still has a fresh minty scent but there is an obvious but not overpowering leather note in the base and it's less "soapy." Clearly the better of the two in my opinion as the overall scent is still a fresh minty chypre but with a little more depth and character. I was thinking it's justifiable to own them both but I'm not so sure. I'm thinking it's best to just splurge on the vintage.

Last edited:
I saw Santana on there too and thought to myself 'Somebody from b&b mentioned how much they liked his cologne in the celebrity frag thread', then realized I probably spend way too much time on here and drank some more champagne!

Sorry I'm late to the new thread, but I was laid up a few days with the stomach flu and could not post.

New Year's scent - Habit Rouge EdP
Monday - Carlos Santana (saw him on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve and considered it an omen)
Yesterday - self-generated offal (stomach flu in full tilt)
Today - Yatagan

Agreed -- it's very nice indeed. Very much a classic Cambodian, as you've described. I'm also a fan of the one you're wearing today. :thumbup1: Have you tried his "Sultan" oil?

No I haven't. IIRC, wasn't it a Cambodian too?

This is such an enticing albeit expensive journey - and I am enjoying every bit of it.

Yesterday I wore the new/current version, from the Les Parisiennes line. I wanted to compare it to the vintage juice, which I wore today and is supposedly THE leather chypre. I couldn't find my vintage sample decant so I ordered a 50mL bottle off the bay (good price but still expensive). It came in and I wanted a back-to-back comparison. The vintage still has a fresh minty scent but there is an obvious but not overpowering leather note in the base and it's less "soapy." Clearly the better of the two in my opinion as the overall scent is still a fresh minty chypre but with a little more depth and character. I was thinking it's justifiable to own them both but I'm not so sure. I'm thinking it's best to just splurge on the vintage.

Interesting. I have tried the current version and it didn't seem to leathery to me. Vintage is almost always better. Sigh...

[Regarding vintage v. current Derby] Interesting. I have tried the current version and it didn't seem to leathery to me. Vintage is almost always better. Sigh...

You know, the current formulation has much better longevity, though. So I guess it's a trade off or a situation-specific choice between the two. Leather or longevity? Actually, I gotta say I like the minty-chypre aspects best, which are preserved in the current formulation, but the vintage just seems so much more "complete." Not a problem if you like them both as I do.

Great minds think alike - I went with this one as well today...

I missed this post earlier! Pretty neat! I really like this scent. LV is right "in the pocket" for me. Such a skillful handling of pepper.

I wore Floris Lavender the next day. It was okay.

Today I wore vintage Guerlain Vetiver EDC. Wow, I love every "expression" Guerlain puts of vetiver!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom