What's new

Say hello to those Shave Sticks (All Turkish shave sticks reviewed)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Great series of posts Luc!
I really appreciate your write ups on these sticks.

Never tried sticks before - I do have a pile of Arko (mr R. Vey hooked me) but put them in jars.
Nice, effective lather with a big bang for the buck.

I like the Colgate method so I will certainly try that some day!

From your side of the world Wim, you should try the DVH. I got it as a puck here and it's pretty awesome even without tallow!

I just read this whole thread, great stuff and much appreciated. I got some Arko and GZD from Shaveabuck last week. Arko I've used and know well, got the GZD on a whim. Can't wait to try it!

Luc

Staff member
The scent reminds me of laundry detergent. For those who used it before, the Barbus shaving soap has a similar scent. It's not offensive but not the greatest scent in the world. There's a hint of fresh lemon but it's weak, very weak.

I get very similar notes for each products but then, they are similar products also...

First the pros:
  • Great packaging
  • Very slick
$Tweex Shave Stick 1.JPG

The cons now:
  • Lather not as good as Arko. Missing something in there to make it explode. Derby was the same.
$Tweex Shave Stick 2.JPG
The stick is harder than Camelot, GZD and Arko but not as hard as Derby.

Another good read about Tweex could be found here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/279399-Tweex-shaving-soap-Has-anyone-tried-it-yet
$Tweex Shave Stick 3.JPG
Current ranking:
  • Camelot Stick
  • GZD Stick
  • Arko Stick
  • Derby Stick
  • Tweex Stick

Now, that ranking explained!

If I got by textures, I grouped the Camelot and GZD at the top. They are both very soft but a bit too soft for my liking. Arko is in the middle compared to the other 4 sticks. Derby and Tweex are really hard sticks. I would not only consider the consistency to rate the sticks but I noticed that the harder the consistency of the soap, the more difficult it was to use the product. Having said all of that, Tweex and Derby are not bad, they are good products, simply a bit more difficult for me to get equivalent lather compared to Camelot, GZD and Arko.

If I would go and buy one of the 5 sticks on a regular basis, it would probably be Arko since it's the easiest to find. I don't find that all other sticks are that easy to find but that's my point of view. I know, plenty of places sell it online but I mean, I found Arko on the shelves in Australia and in Canada where I never seen the other 4!

If Camelot or GZD would offer their product with a stick holder or even a wrapper, I would probably buy a few boxes of 12 to keep a reserve. Those were easy to use and provided great lather!

Keep in mind, as always, YMMV!

Thanks Luc for taking the time to review all these sticks for us. I have Arko and a GZD stick that was thrown in as a gift when I bought some blades at Bestshave.net so I think I will take your advice and leave Tweex and Derby off my list and concentrate on these two. Not sure if I could withstand the gaze of the Camelot man though, I may leave that to others braver than me. :lol:

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Luc for taking the time to review all these sticks for us. I have Arko and a GZD stick that was thrown in as a gift when I bought some blades at Bestshave.net so I think I will take your advice and leave Tweex and Derby off my list and concentrate on these two. Not sure if I could withstand the gaze of the Camelot man though, I may leave that to others braver than me. :lol:

Tweex and Derby aren't that bad. The soap is just rock solid. From my point of view, it's almost like rubbing a piece of stone on my face which isn't the best feeling. When it comes to Camelot or GZD, it's like a piece of fat from a steak. They are really different. Camelot is really worth it if you enjoyed/enjoy GZD. You just need a proper container to use them. I got an empty shave stick tube that I can use for them.

Interesting and informative thread. Thanks for taking the time!

No worries mate, happy to help!

Tweex and Derby aren't that bad. The soap is just rock solid. From my point of view, it's almost like rubbing a piece of stone on my face which isn't the best feeling. When it comes to Camelot or GZD, it's like a piece of fat from a steak. They are really different. Camelot is really worth it if you enjoyed/enjoy GZD. You just need a proper container to use them. I got an empty shave stick tube that I can use for them.

Luc, most shave sticks work better if the tip is soaked for about ten minutes before application. I find that method allows the soap to soften enough so I get enough soap on my face for lathering. I find Arko too soft to use in stick form, I smush that soap into a puck using a mug and prescription bottle and use it like that. Derby comes in a 140g puck anyway (I have a puck in route to me right now) so not much would be gained by attempting to smush that particular stick. I have some GZD on the way to me from Turkey as well, Camelot was unfortunately not available from my preferred Turkish vendor. I figured with four soaps plus a plastic DE razor and Astra blades ordered I had spent enough money already before I got to the Tweex (maybe next time).

Luc

Staff member
Luc, most shave sticks work better if the tip is soaked for about ten minutes before application. I find that method allows the soap to soften enough so I get enough soap on my face for lathering. I find Arko too soft to use in stick form, I smush that soap into a puck using a mug and prescription bottle and use it like that. Derby comes in a 140g puck anyway (I have a puck in route to me right now) so not much would be gained by attempting to smush that particular stick. I have some GZD on the way to me from Turkey as well, Camelot was unfortunately not available from my preferred Turkish vendor. I figured with four soaps plus a plastic DE razor and Astra blades ordered I had spent enough money already before I got to the Tweex (maybe next time).

Ah yes, I always wet the tip of the shave stick before I use it for a few minutes (probably more 5-7 minutes, time to get in and out of the shower). I also noticed (as a general thing) that if I use a shave soap daily, it becomes easier to lather than if I use it once a month where the soap can dry completely.

Thanks for the reviews. I just tried the Tweex in the last few days and will be trying Arko soon, so it was interesting reading. The Tweex lather was pretty good, and I had a nice shave, but I'm not sure about the scent. It's incredibly strong--laundry detergent as you said. The entire upstairs of my home smelled like a bottle of detergent had spilled, so I put it into a baggie, which helped. Hopefully the scent will weaken some over time. I haven't opened the Arko yet, but the scent seems similar, with more lemon, and doesn't seem quite as overpowering as the Tweex.

Well, after about 2 months of waiting by the mailbox (I came in most nights, honest) my stick of Camelot arrived today! It had been a bit abused in transit, and was slightly oval, but the package was well sealed, so no harm. The stick was immediately pressed into a twist-up shave stick holder. It's soft enough to just push the stick right in without any other prep!

The scent is not what I was expecting. It's pleasant and much lighter than I thought it would be. Sort of a "fresh" smell, in the grassy class, I suppose. I like it! As unlike Arko as it could be :thumbup:

Luc

Staff member
Well, after about 2 months of waiting by the mailbox (I came in most nights, honest) my stick of Camelot arrived today! It had been a bit abused in transit, and was slightly oval, but the package was well sealed, so no harm. The stick was immediately pressed into a twist-up shave stick holder. It's soft enough to just push the stick right in without any other prep!

The scent is not what I was expecting. It's pleasant and much lighter than I thought it would be. Sort of a "fresh" smell, in the grassy class, I suppose. I like it! As unlike Arko as it could be :thumbup:

Yeah, Camelot is like that. I found it to be very soft. It's still holding as a stick but it's soft!

I don't see it on eBay right now, but find one of the vendors who sells Arko who's based in Turkey and contact them. I bet they could get it for you.

Dave

Luc

Staff member
Hello....Just checked eBay and a couple other sites...I can't find GZD or Camelot either....hmmmmm.... Any suggestions where else I might try????

I am unsure if all those sticks are still made today. Again, I bought mine on ebay and I cannot find it right now. It's very possible that those sticks are now discontinued.

I am unsure if all those sticks are still made today. Again, I bought mine on ebay and I cannot find it right now. It's very possible that those sticks are now discontinued.
Thanks for the reply...I figured it has been 8 months since that post...thought maybe you (or someone else) had some luck in finding them.

Camelot and GZD shave sticks are currently available at Bestshave.net. They also have a new Turkish stick, Blueness for Men, it is billed as having a "unique scent". Given the dreadful pong of Arko sticks (apologies to Arko stick scent likers) I ordered one with great trepidation, wondering what "unique" actually means. May the Lord have mercy on my olfactory glands!! :001_unsur

Camelot and GZD shave sticks are currently available at Bestshave.net. They also have a new Turkish stick, Blueness for Men, it is billed as having a "unique scent". Given the dreadful pong of Arko sticks (apologies to Arko stick scent likers) I ordered one with great trepidation, wondering what "unique" actually means. May the Lord have mercy on my olfactory glands!! :001_unsur

Blueness is the new and improved version of Camelot. The company is producing Blueness only now.

Top Bottom