What's new

Savon le Père Lucien (Le Père Lucien Soap)

Very nice, Ben! Are you going 3017 with this one?

Thank you! As much as I would like to 3017 this soap, I have so many new soaps that I want to try right now. I think I will give it one more shave (for a solid week) and then next week I will move on to a different soap. One thing that 3017ing that stick of Valobra did was teach me that there is a great deal of merit in maintaining some consistency with a soap for a while. It helps you learn the ins and outs of the product, and get the most out of it. That's why I have spent a solid week on this soap.... because it is a very unique and wonderful soap..... but I appreciate it more since having used it for days in a row.

I think I will spend the next few weeks doing the same thing with my new soaps..... and spend a week with each. There is Barbiere di Figaro, TFS, C&S Oxford & Cambridge, and LA Shaving Soap that I need to try.

Ben

Savon Le Pere Lucien - Shave #7

Another great shave with this soap today. I used my Vie-Long 13061B Natural White 50 mane / 50 tail Horse brush with a custom loft set at 47 mm and a 24 mm knot. I get a wonderful lather from this soap, no matter what brush I use. Badger, boar, horse.... doesn't matter..... the same great results.

Ben

I bought this on ben's review & I have to say its outstanding. The only downside I see is its very soft & will not last as long as the other french soaps that I have. I give this soap a big thumbs up.

I received it yesterday and HAD to try it. Let's say it's worth all the costs involved in it, it's by far the best sop I've tried (no I have never used MdC or PP).
I loaded my Duke 3 for around 15 seconds, and then lathered on the bow for another 45 seconds. If you guys think that TOBS cream is easy to lather you haven't tried lPL. It's fantastic, it could easily have made 4,5 passes out of it.
In the tin the smell is strange in the beginning but turns out to be great, a little bit spicy with tones that reminded me of a wet forest. After you lather it the smell fades a lot, but is it's still there to be felt.
Shaving with it is a pleasure, nice glide and protection, the skin felt very smooth. The places that needed touch up didn't see more lather, as the skin was still slickery enough for it.
The end was a BBS shave on a DE89L loaded with Lords that were used already 3 times (yeah, put me on a crucifix, I love Lords).
I finished the shave with my baume.be sample that has just finished (another amazing product).

I'd recommend lPL without a doubt to anyone that asked my advice.

Wow! My first shave with it this morning. Reminds me of MdC. I'll have to alternate them to see if I can tell a difference. Definitely worth the effort to get for me.

Your straight razor technique is so impressive you make it look easy! I think you could even make plain old hand soap work.

I've tried a sample of it as well. It's different from MdC but definitely has the qualities of a French soap. It is excellent and I will order it soon.

I really like the container, but the top fits a bit tight and I have trouble getting it off at times. But its very solid feeling and being metal won't shatter or anything if I mistakenly hit the sink or faucet with it. (shaving is done before coffee...I'm a klutz).

The lid on mine is not a perfect fit. It is, however, satisfactory. Having zero concern over breakage or rusting is a plus. As to space, I don't notice it being any different than wood soap bowls.

Cyril was kind enough to send me a sample of this soap I while back at his expense. I tried it and really liked it. I put it aside for a short time and tried it again today. It is excellent and I decided to order some. The ordering process is a bit difficult as there is no web site that you can visit. To order it you have to contact Cyril by email at [email protected] and request a sample or let him know what you'd like to purchase. You will get pricing in euros, so depending on the exchange rate your total may vary from day to day.

Here are the prices.

I paid $32.57 including shipping for 200g without the tin. This was 20 euros for the soap and 3.5 euros for shipping. This is just the refill, no container. Price varies a bit daily depending on euro vs. dollar exchange rate. I paid via paypal today and he is shipping it tomorrow morning. I move all of my soaps into Ikea Grundtal stainless steel containers, so the tin was of no interest to me.

Other options are as follow (note it costs more for shipping with the tin or the cup);
If you want the 200g in the tin it is 25 euros + 7 euros shipping
If you want 100g in a nice small metal bowl he calls a cup is it 13 euros + 7 euros shipping
If you wanted 100g refill it is 10 euros + 3.5 euros shipping

You can order 100g of this soap without a tin or metal bowl for somewhere around $18 including shipping which is an excellent price for a French soap of this quality.

I used LPL this morning. It is so very close to MdC. In my case, there's a faint skin irritation in MdC that's not in LPL. And, as noted, I give preference to the LPL stainless steel container over the glass jar of MdC.

The after shave face feel is pretty much identical.

I got the 100g version in a nice metal bowl. There is no lid or anything. It's wrapped in saran'wrap. Soap works great , though. Exceptional skin feel and protection.

Well I couldn't hold back any longer just ordered two, two hundred gram tins. Just paid the man mere minutes ago and now I begin the waiting game!

I haven't had a chance to skim through the post, but has anyone had issues with little soap rocks in your lather? I have the 100g metal bowl and tiny, hard chunks of soap are an issue with every lather now. It feels like an exfoliating face wash and ends up irritating my skin by the end of the shave.

It is a wonderful soap and Im thinking about remilling and compressing it to fix the issue. It is my first 3017 victim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom