What's new

Sandalwood recommendations for a well-read newbie

Hi B&B!

Intro and gear
Newbie checking in for some sage advice on where to indulge myself in this hobby next, specifically regarding soaps. I just recently started shaving with a DE and picked up the following gear which I am learning to love:
  • Rockwell 6s SS Razor
  • Sample pack of blades (Astra, Gillette Yellow, Feather, Wilkinson)
  • Mühle Synthetic Black Fibre Brush
  • TOBS Sandalwood cream
  • Proraso white, liquid cream aftershave balm
  • Alun block
  • Styptic pencil (which I first thought was an alun block, ouch!)
I am still learning after a couple of weeks in, but would love to try out some soaps to enhance what has become a very relaxing experience. I am loving the razor, still finding the right blades, but not that into the AS. I don't like it primarily because I really don't like breaking the sandalwood scent chain, which makes me sad. Performance wise it seems OK.

I am located in Sweden, for any shop recommendations :)

Wants
I have very dry skin in general, my skin can get noticeably flaky in the winter both in my shaving area and forehead. I also am a sucker for Sandalwood as a scent, as well as gear that looks and feels good. For me this ritual is as much about trying out well-performing gear as enjoying the look and feel of a nice brush handle or wooden soap dish.

Plan
I'm thinking of getting a couple of different soaps along with an aftershave balm and / or a face moisturizer. So I can keep my counter looking sharp, I would like to get at least one soap in a wooden dish similar to the DR Harris or Truefitt & Hill dishes, and preferably put the current soap I'm using in the dish. I actually like the wooden dishes with logos on them. Here are some of the products I've checked out:

Soaps
  • AoS Sandalwood NOS Tallow Soap (sadly really expensive to ship to Sweden, but this is probably my favorite from what I've read)
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat (not crazy about it not having a scent, but I definitely want to try some once I get more experienced)
  • Dr Harris Marlborough (Would like to try the scent; seems like a good soap that fits my needs, and I like the dish)
  • Haslinger Sandalwood
  • Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood (Haven't read that much good stuff about this, but I like the dish)
I have looked at a bunch of other artisan soaps, but none of them really made the cut except for maybe Stirling which seemed fun.

Aftershaves
Should I get a balm for the moisturizing effect, or simply go for a splash to get a longer lasting scent and accompany it with a moisturizer?
  • AoS Sandalwood Balm
  • Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Balm
  • ???
Moisturizer
  • TOBS Sandalwood moisturizer
Thanks in advance B&B, really appreciate the help. As a thank you, here's a pic of
IMG_0543.JPG
my setup :)

The strongest scented sandalwood in my arsenal is from Fine Accoutrements. The Santal Absolut is modeled after the AOS Sandalwood.

The Haslinger sandalwood soap is a good call, and I would follow it up with the Edwin Jagger sandalwood aftershave balm, which has a very pleasant soothing and moisturizing effect, as well as a good scent. If I wanted a really lasting sandalwood smell, I would finish up with some of the TOBS sandalwood cologne.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
IF you like sandalwood you should try something from the TOBS lineup ... kind of an "unique" take on the scent, but very enjoyable, and certainly something you should experience to be considered "knowledgeable" about sandalwood.

I would also try the Castle Forbes sandalwood ... a very different scent from the TOBS (and from most other sandalwoods out there.) They make a cream and balm IIRC, but no soap or splash.

I'll second the recommendation for TOBS sandalwood. If you are looking for something a bit closer to a true sandalwood scent, I find Captain's to be pretty good too.

Sent via mobile - Chris

If you suffer from dry skin, you should consider Mitchell's Wool Fat and Haslinger's Schafsmilch. Both contain lanolin, which will help quite a bit with the dry skin.

Haslinger scents are sort of old fashioned, probably no real changes in formula for decades, but they are mild and probably won't last after shaving, which suits me to a T. Mine are on the way, so no accurate description except for the Schafsmilch, which has a "powdery" scent of the type I remember from very old ladies when I was a kid, probably from the 1930's. Initially didn't care for it, but now it seems just fine, and it doesn't stick around long.

For other soaps, consider an unscented moisturizer, you don't need to dry your skin out every day shaving, it's an invitation to severe shaving irritation and no one needs that! It will also help soften your beard, making shaving more comfortable with the added benefit of longer blade life.

Peter

I'm a longtime MWF fanboy, which I find leaves just the right amount of miniaturization to my face. It's not that it doesn't have a scent. . it's just very subtle, very old school. To me, it smells like warm cream and lavender.

I'm also a fan of La Toja and Razorock's Dead Sea, both of which contain mineral salts. . . having said that my most moisturizing soaps are Smooth Operator line made by an Etsy seller in Greece called Soap Adventure, and don't contain lanolin. (Just avoid the plastic container option as it's too narrow to easily load from.)

Seeing as you were talking about sandalwood and moisturizing, I'd be remiss not to mention Proraso red aftershave. It smells a bit more cologney than a straight up sandalwood like AOS, but is very good for dry skin. (I don't rate the Proraso red shaving soap all that much - it's good but not great.)

EDIT: Another suggestion. I normally use Thayers witch hazel (lavender, alcohol-free) as an aftershave, which I recommend to anyone with dry skin.

as far as a true sandalwood oil smell goes truefitt and hill on the head its exactly alike if you go to a store that sells essential oils smell it then smell that(however not the best performance for the price)...if you like a raw sandalwood tree smell i think crabtree and evelyn is on the head there....if you like old school masculine scents (eg brut-imperial leather etc) then tobs sandalwood is amazing and performs very well provides a nice cushion and has a ton of peaks when alot of drips are added...so far best sandalwood cream ive tried as far as comfort goes...there are many sandalwoods around however its ymmv as is everything in the shaving world

Haslinger's sandalwood may be what you are looking for! Excellent lather and protection with great post-shave feel. The scent is mild.

I like the scent of TOBS even though it's a cologne type smell, but to me it's probably the worst performing and has zero moisturizing. I would take pretty much anything over that and stick with the artisans. PAA has a great sandalwood AS balm. I like the captains choice splash too. Stirlings sandalwood smells nice and you can't argue their price/performance.

Another vote for Haslinger Sandalwood soap. Although its scent is mild, it is the best soap for conditioning your skin.

Everybody keeps recommending TOBS sandalwood to you, but it looks like you've already got that one.

I recommend Proraso Red soap and aftershave splash. I haven't used the cream, just the soap. Nice scent, works well, and the splash is nice on dry skin. The scent is more of a real sandalwood, and not overly perfumey, to my nose.

Hard soap: NOS Valobra-made AoS (quite true scent, great performance)
Cream: T&H (if you don’t mind a cologne-style interpretation)

Hard soap: NOS Valobra-made AoS (quite true scent, great performance)

I just bought a puck of the NOS AoS Sandalwood and it exceeded my expectations. Not only does it perform great, but it seemed to really moisturize my skin more than any other cream or soap that I've tried. I only bought one, but plan to order a few more.

Top Bottom