What's new

San Diego noob checking in

Hello everyone!

A little over two weeks ago my grooming routine was to shave with a Mach 3 on Sunday mornings and keep the growth back with an inexpensive battery-powered electric other mornings. Then I stumble across "wet shaving", spent way too much time reading Internet posts and Reddit, and ended up ordering a starter kit from Maggard Razors.

Thanks to the Internet, I'd watched videos, been warned of landmines, learned helpful tips, and read stories from other new wet shavers. The result is I've been enjoying the learning process and am developing my technique. My plan is to stick with my Maggard V3 as my daily driver (well, every 2-3 days actually) for several months while trying different blades. At this point I'm still on my second blade (both have been Rockwells). I've had a couple of really good shaves, nicked myself almost every time, and have had a couple of shaves that remind me to pay attention to technique.

I don't see myself spending a lot of artisanal soaps, pre- and post-shave treatments, fancy brushes, and a full rotation of razors; I'd be happy with one razor I like, a decent synthetic brush, and an effective but inexpensive mass-produced soap or stick. Perhaps my family will send the odd luxury wet-shaving product my way at Christmas or my birthday.

One thing I am trying to do is to find out what shaving kit would be "correct" for my dad, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers, and to acquire and shave with razors and soaps they might have used the year they turned 18 or graduated from high school. So far I have a Gillette Super Speed and a Gillette Goodwill for this project, as well as a Palmolive shave stick, a tube of Ingram shaving cream lather, and a vintage puck of Williams Mug Shaving Soap.

In my new-found enthusiasm, I realized I've also engaged in something I didn't realize was A Part Of wet shaving--the PIF. I went out of my way to look for razors in some nearby antique shops and found a nice 1951 Tech for $10. Once my vintage razor plans became focused on my grandpas--and none were starting shaving in 1951--I offered the Tech to a friend who expressed interest in wet shaving after listening to me wax poetic on the subject.

Anyway, thanks to the B&B community for fascinating me and for almost always being my top Google result these days.

Last edited:
Awesome story and intro. Glad you found B&B. I too started out wanting to just try it with one of each piece, and less than a year later, I have 5 razors, 6 brushes, at least 4 soaps in rotation, etc. just know that the deeper you dive, the more you might enjoy the act of shaving.

In regards to your comment about staying away from artisanal soaps and such, be sure not to limit yourself to just soaps from Walmart or the drug store. Maggard has an awesome London Barbershop shop that really performs well and has a great scent.

Take care!

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Hello everyone!

A little over two weeks ago my grooming routine was to shave with a Mach 3 on Sunday mornings and keep the growth back with an inexpensive battery-powered electric other mornings. Then I stumble across "wet shaving", spent way too much time reading Internet posts and Reddit, and ended up ordering a starter kit from Maggard Razors.

I don't see myself spending a lot of artisanal soaps, pre- and post-shave treatments, fancy brushes, and a full rotation of razors; I'd be happy with one razor I like, a decent synthetic brush, and an effective but inexpensive mass-produced soap or stick.

I remember thinking this way when I started too. Ha, dude, you're doomed. Lol. Anyway, welcome.

Welcome to Badger & Blade @cH3x. I trust you will find B&B to be an oasis in the midst of this crazy internet. There are many fine gentleman and ladies who can provide instruction, wisdom and many suggestions regarding wet shaving and all the possible accouterments.

In regards to your comment about staying away from artisanal soaps and such, be sure not to limit yourself to just soaps from Walmart or the drug store. Maggard has an awesome London Barbershop shop that really performs well and has a great scent.
As it happens, I got the London Barbershop with my starter kit. It is certainly working well for me. It's just that I'm kinda an "all or nothing" sort of guy, and I'm afraid once I start buying artisanal soaps....

As it happens, I got the London Barbershop with my starter kit. It is certainly working well for me. It's just that I'm kinda an "all or nothing" sort of guy, and I'm afraid once I start buying artisanal soaps....

I'm the same way. If you can find one that doesn't break the bank but works really well for you, go for it. Kinda like with blades, you will find one that works great for you and then stick with it. Mine is a Voskhod. I can get 100 blades for just over $10, and that will last me a full year of daily shaving.

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Top Bottom