What's new

Salt Lake City Shaving

Good Earth Natural Foods: Various locations (Provo, Orem, Riverdale, Sandy, American Fork). I've picked up Kiss My Face shaving cream and Thayer's Witch Hazel at their stores. They have a lot of natural/organic type products there as well, things like bath soap, shampoo, deoderant, essential oils, etc. along with your typical health food items. I'm sure there are other wetshaving specific items you more experienced types might find. Their website lists what brands they carry. From what I can tell, they list all the scents for KMF shaving cream on their website, but an individual store might stock only a few, so hopefully you'll find something good when you're there. It's probably the same with other brands they carry, but as always, YMMV.

Very nice call, buddy! A couple of friends and myself checked this place out this afternoon, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the tea. I liked the fact that they have a good selection of moderately priced teas. A lot of the teas they had are comparable in price to a lot of bagged teas, but are much more flavorful and interesting. Plus they share a building with a gelato shop :drool:

PS I like your neighborhood. I wish I could afford to live in Sugarhouse or the surrounding area.

:thumbup1: Sweet! I'm glad it worked out.

I'm living here by the grace of my roots. This house was built by my grandparents, and when my grandma passed away a few years ago it was sitting empty and draining resources. It's now jointly-owned by my mom and uncle. It was in bad need of fixing up (they were indoor smokers,) so I volunteered to do so in exchange for living there for the cost of utilities. Once I finish school, I'll probably buy it from them.

New bump and an update:
Found a decent little health store in Bountiful called, simply enough, Bountiful Nutrition, and they carry a few items that members might want to check out. The shop is located just off 500 S on 200 W in Bountiful, UT in a small shopping complex (directly South of Chase Bank and Panda Express).

This store carries three or four varieties of Thayer's Witch Hazel including the Superhazel and Peach. Shave goods include Alba shave creams, Kiss My Face, Jason's Shave Gel, and Nature's Gate cream. They also carry many artisan style bath and hand soaps such as Sappo Hill, and a bunch of glycerin soaps. Jojoba oil can be found here as well, and they had a small tea section in the West end of shop.

The Thayer's is reasonably priced, but the rest of the shop is, honestly, a bit expensive, and doesn't offer very much for most of us here. The soaps and Thayer's, however, might be worth a trip on their own since the next closest place to buy Thayer's, that I know of, is Whole Foods in Salt Lake. They also, as the name implies, have a lot of nutritional items and alternative goods like xylitol toothpaste stevia sweetened products.

Cheers!

I work in a barbershop in the Salt Lake Valley and do clean cuts and shaves for a good price. I don't sell supplies, but I do a pretty good straight razor shave! (Sorry if you think this is in the wrong forum)

'Reds Barber and Shave Shop', located at 4800 South, 135 East, just a couple buildings off of state street! It's a nice little two chair shop with a traditional style. Ask for Ryan, or make an appointment, give me a call at (541) 430-1033 if interested.

Also, thanks for the info on shave supplies! I am slowly building my inventory of barber supplies and trying to keep it fairly traditional.

Last edited:
Bump and an update:

Visiting Oktoberfest in Park City last weekend I stopped by one of the vendor tents that hey had set up. Not really expecting much from any of the vendors up there I was surprised to come across a soap counter with mug, brush, and round puck of shaving soap. I laughed a bit when the woman at the counter tried expounding the virtues of "old fashioned shave soap."

Anyway, I haven't tried them out yet but Creekside Creations (http://www.thecreeksidecreations.com) has a pretty decent selection of men's products, organic soaps, lotions, etc. To their credit, they don't leave the ladies out of the shave game, and make sure to note that their soaps are for men and women. They offer up 2 varieties of shave soap, a mug and brush, aftershaves, and "mountain man soap." They have the mentioned website, and the woman at Oktoberfest said that they are in several Salt Lake City stores (sorry, I can't remember which), and are trying to get into Associated Food Stores, so keep a lookout.

Cheers!

Bump

Tabula Rasa now has Edwin Jagger and Musgo Real products :thumbup1: on top of the Caswell Massey, Lucky Tiger, C & E, and some limited Pre de Provence that is usually there. In addition to all of the pens, this might well be our best local source for the various AD's.

They also confirmed that the "Waterman" that I got at the antique show is a knockoff :sad:
Good thing I only spent $5 on it

Last edited:
Hmmm... Good to know about all these places! I am in Utah County, so Tabula Rasa and The Tinderbox are not available for the most part.

The only places which I have come across with an OK selection are Walgreens and Rite-Aid. Both had some DE blades and a decent selection of aftershaves.

Update: I hit up both Tabula Rasa and The Tinderbox recently. Both have increased their supply of shave products for the better! I also snapped some photos on my phone to show some of the stuff Mycon mentioned.

First photo is Tabula Rasa. This is a small section of the store but has most of their shaving stuff. It shows Lightfoot's (bottom shelf); EJ balms, creams, soaps (second shelf), apothecary mugs and brush (off camera); Caswell Massey stuff already mentioned in other posts (third shelf up), Caswell Massey aftershaves, brushes, stands, and talcs (off camera)

Second photo is The Tinderbox
They now have Omega soap, brushes, and gift sets- 2 kinds (bottom right); Col Conk soaps -small and large, gift sets, brushes, and mugs (bottom left); Napa Soap brushes soaps -which smelled like beer!- ,and mugs (top left); EJ brushes, gift sets -2 kinds-, cream in tubes, soaps; Lightfoot's soaps (top shelf, left to right)
Also, largely on the bottom shelf, there are some no name shaving sets with Trac II razors, and some brushes.

By the way, guys and gals, I'm thinking about starting a shave wiki page listing the stores in the area that carry different goods in Utah. This thread is getting just a little messy and I think a more navigable and update-able means of finding places would be nice. If it's possible, I'd like to list places with shaving supplies, smoke shops, places to buy beer/ liquor, etc. I'd like to get some input and help on it if anybody wants to volunteer as I've never authored a wiki page before.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread :thumbup:

Sweetz n Spicez 3546 South Redwood Road has Dettol shave cream high on a shelf near the ceiling.

Shop n Go- 573 East 300 South Salt Lake City has Godrej

Sephora in Fashion Place Mall several lines of creams and Jack Black brush and cream

Two other stores in the mall carry Poraso and Maca root

Last edited:
Just went to Tabla Rasa they had some nice stuff there and picked up a puck of Edwin Jagger Sea Buckhorn shaving soap it is amazing smelling. I may someday get the aftershave :w00t:

Sweetz & Spicez told me that by friday of next week they'll have 3 flavors of godrej and two of dettol I'll report back after I check it out

Sweetz & Spicez told me that by friday of next week they'll have 3 flavors of godrej and two of dettol I'll report back after I check it out

Awesome, Bob.e, thanks so much for sharing! I haven't checked the thread in a bit and it seems that you have helped out a lot!

Could you possibly enlighten us as to which stores in the mall carry Proraso?
I assume that The Body Shop is carrying the Maca Root cream you mentioned.

Thanks again to all our SLC heroes! Have a killer weekend!

post 29 in this thread has the addresses the downtown Indian store has godrej in lime

I can't remember the store in Fashion place but it has mostly soaps hand and body creams and scents and is close to the body shop

Alright, men and gentleladies, I've finally begun the Utah shavewiki page!

I would like some input on the general setup if you don't mind. If you find the format odd or unintuitive please let me know, and if possible, of a better way. I am finding that it is more difficult to organize than I'd have thought. I'm not quite sure how to split locations by type (i'd like to have areas in each section for shaving, smoking, barbers, etc.), and still incorporate things like malls which may contain several types of stores.

It's mostly just an outline as of now, but I look forward to your input, and, as always in a wiki, you are more than welcome to change or add things yourself. I am hoping to eventually start using this thread only as a means of discussion and announcements.

Lastly if you find any members from the area roaming the boards please let them in on this thread and the new wiki. Thanks everyone.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Utah%2C_USA

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for putting this together. I've made a couple of small changes, following the model of other shopping pages such as http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/USA_Vermont

*renamed to USA_Utah for consistency
*added Category:Shopping by Country so that it appears on http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Category:Shopping_by_Country

Thanks Mike!

I also processed the information to make it a bit more standard, added links to the company where available... I can try to add addresses tomorrow...

Thanks for putting this together. I've made a couple of small changes, following the model of other shopping pages such as http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/USA_Vermont

*renamed to USA_Utah for consistency
*added Category:Shopping by Country so that it appears on http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Category:Shopping_by_Country

Thanks Mike!

I also processed the information to make it a bit more standard, added links to the company where available... I can try to add addresses tomorrow...

Thanks a bunch fellas. I'll try and get on adding info as soon as I can make time to do it. I'm wondering if the formatting isn't too complex though. I had planned to list stores present in all major metro-areas (kroger, walmart, walgreens etc) in one section, and create sub-pages for the major cities with a list of stores, places found only in those areas (Tabula Rasa in SLC for instance). The way its listed now, we'd have to create an almost identical list for each of the major metro-areas making for quite a long page.

Something like this I thought was fine, no?
Intro
Major ubiquitous chains
-Kroger
--Williams mug soap
-WalMart
--VDH
--Shave Secret
--Brut Attitude
Salt Lake
-Tabula Rasa
--Edwin Jagger
--Mont Blanc Pens
--Pre de Provence bath soaps
-Tinderbox
--Cigars
--pipes
--Omega Boar Brushes, Soap, and cream
--Edwin Jagger
--Col Conk Straight razor sets, and soap
Ogden
-Dollar General
--Barbasol Aftershave

I'm also not sure addresses are necessary for major chains. Their supplies don't often change by location, and I think most people can find their local Smiths or Walmart. Plus I can think of like 8 Smith's locations just off the top of my head- I'm certain there are dozens more. Lastly, all Associated Food stores are basically the same thing (they set their shelves in an identical manner) and needn't be listed separately.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks a bunch fellas. I'll try and get on adding info as soon as I can make time to do it. I'm wondering if the formatting isn't too complex though. I had planned to list stores present in all major metro-areas (kroger, walmart, walgreens etc) in one section, and create sub-pages for the major cities with a list of stores, places found only in those areas (tabula rasa in SLC for instance). The way its listed now, we'd have to create an almost identical list for each of the major metro-areas making for quite a long page.

something like this I thought was fine, no?
Intro
Major ubiquitous chains
-Kroger
--Williams mug soap
-WalMart
--VDH
--Shave Secret
--Brut Attitude
Salt Lake
-Tabula Rasa
--Edwin Jagger
--Mont Blanc Pens
--Pre de Provence bath soaps
-Tinderbox
--Cigars
--pipes
--Omega Boar Brushes, Soap, and cream
--Edwin Jagger
--Col Conk Straight razor sets, and soap
Ogden
-Dollar General
--Barbasol Aftershave

First, excellent work in contributing on that page! :thumbup1:

The Australian and Canadian shopping pages have a few things repeating except the addresses and sometimes, what you can find at a specific shop.

Also, the Ohio state shopping page should be similar to Utah. Meaning:

-List
--City1
---Shop1
---Shop2
---Shop3
--City2
---Shop2
---Shop3
--City3
---Shop1
---Shop3

The information is repeated yes, but, it can be adjusted if someone visit the specific City3-Shop1 with what can be found in the shop.

Also, I try to list the addresses when available.

I do not have any issues if you want to move some entries into a Statewide list instead of re-listing them... If find them to be more part of the list if you are looking at a specific city, you know, this is it. That might be just me seeing it that way. :001_smile

If you need any help or have questions, don't be shy!

Top Bottom