What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
So, I've been reading about how the English Techs are better than the US Techs but I always recoiled from the $50+ prices I kept finding. Patience finally pays off. Under $25 delivered and it looks like its been very well cared for by its previous owner.

View attachment 776124
Excellent!
View attachment 776343 My "reference" razor arrived, completing my first round of RAD. This weeks' acquisitions should keep me busy for a while...
"For reference only" nice!
Ok guys I bought something really special today on eBay.

I got a 1965 Slim, new unused in the original paper packaging. Looking forward to it's arrival.

proxy.php

Will you use it????

Today's haul!
That's my first single ring, I bet that black patina is silver? Should I leave the patina or polish it?
Time for at scrubbing bubble soak.
proxy.php

That's my first single ring, I bet that black patina is silver? Should I leave the patina or polish it?
Yup, that's silver tarnish. Coincidentally I just bought another Single Ring about half an hour ago and it's just as black. There's no way I'm erasing 100 years of history by polishing it and killing the razor's karma.

... but that's just me.

Today's haul!
Awesome haul!
I have a few OLDs in silver. I cleaned and polished most using the baking soda and foil method. But I have one that the patina was just to even and beautiful to polish away. From what I can see of your's it would stay unpolished if it were mine.

Today's haul!
proxy.php

I did the baking soda and tin foil trick on my silver New Improved Tuckaway, and it looks brand new - with no polishing. I would clean up the SR, if it were me. If you don't like it, give it time, and it will tarnish again.

You should probably buy another one - leave one tarnished/patina'd, and clean one up. Best of both worlds!

Yup, that's silver tarnish. Coincidentally I just bought another Single Ring about half an hour ago and it's just as black. There's no way I'm erasing 100 years of history by polishing it and killing the razor's karma.

... but that's just me.

For me, I'd be looking at the razor, and thinking about the fact that people that want it to stay pristine are actively working against the entire purpose of that razor. To be picked up, used, and enjoyed. It's a tool, and to be properly appreciated, it must be used as such. To do otherwise would be to violate its entire existence.

For me, I'd be looking at the razor, and thinking about the fact that people that want it to stay pristine are actively working against the entire purpose of that razor. To be picked up, used, and enjoyed. It's a tool, and to be properly appreciated, it must be used as such. To do otherwise would be to violate its entire existence.

I can see the reasoning to leave it as is. Even though I removed the tarnish off my Tuckaway, I still use it, and fully expect it to tarnish again over time. To me, there's no right or wrong answer - it's just going to boil down to personal preference.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Even though I removed the tarnish off my Tuckaway, I still use it, and fully expect it to tarnish again over time.
Yeah, but to naturally replace 100 years of patina takes ... wait for it ... about 100 years ;-) Live long and prosper!

Sure, we have no say in what people should do with their stuff, but if they ask for opinions, they're going to get them ;-)

Even though I am a collector, I feel that Gillette did not make these razors to be pieces of art..... they were made, and made well, to use every day. Unless it is GENUINELY N.O.S., in a sealed package, there is no harm in cleaning them up and using them. But then again, as Paul Simon once sang, "one man's ceiling is another man's floor. They are another man's possessions, and his to do with as he enjoys.....
Cheers,
Kevin

Top Bottom