What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Hello .. I introduced myself recent and would like to share the eBay purchase I was talking about with before and after pics. I believe it's a super speed but I'm not sure of the year. Any thoughts?

Also a bowl picked up from target for 4 bucks for my shaving cream.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
When I decided I wanted to try DE razors I started lookin through pawn shops.

Not knowing I was lookin for I picked the nicest he had in his box. After doing some searching I determined I bought a 63 Fatboy & 68 Slim. I feel blessed to get 2 like new razors for $10.

Knotty

your dates are wrong. the fatboy was produced from 58-61. great looking razors and for a great price

Nothing special about these, except that I got them from a garage sale on my road.....I don't garage sale much because I work every Saturday....well, I was off today. Got 6 razors for $8. It was worth the money just to save some razors and to see them looking nice again.

Before:
$100_6964.jpg

After:
$100_6979.jpg

The head on this one New is nicer than my best new, so, gonna' put it on that razor.

$100_6967.jpg

My recent $5 ebay purchase of an old type pocket edition.

Before cleaning:

proxy.php

After cleaning:

proxy.php

I think it cleaned up rather nicely. It turned out to be in much better shape then I had thought.

Just ordered a Gilette Red Tip (1958) on eBay...my first vintage. Looking forward to cleaning it up and trying it out. Thought about an adjustable, but don't know that I would do much adjusting. Will post pics when it arrives.

$20131015_120935_Richtone(HDR).jpg$20131015_120711_Richtone(HDR).jpg$20131015_120609_Richtone(HDR).jpg

While waiting for my first purchase to arrive, a buddy gave this to me. He bought it at an estate sale and threw it in his drawer. I actually think it is unused. Any info you can offer would be appreciated.

Last edited:
In the last 24 hours, I've been lucky enough to win two auctions on eBay for Gillette Aristocrats. Waiting for them to arrive, and I'll post pictures of them here.

Is there a thread on what you can use on them to clean them and not damage the gold plating? Can I use barbicide on them, or Scrubbing Bubbles? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
This page on the wiki would probably be a good starting point. From what I understand the easiest and safest way to clean any razor is with hot water, washing up liquid and a soft toothbrush. Unless the razor is oxydated or really really gross it should be enough. Tarnish on silver requires special methods. Then you can sanitize with a dip (not soak) in rubbing alcohol. Boiling, vinegar and other acids can be hit or miss, especially with gold razors which are more "sensitive" than nickel.

This page on the wiki would probably be a good starting point. From what I understand the easiest and safest way to clean any razor is with hot water, washing up liquid and a soft toothbrush. Unless the razor is oxydated or really really gross it should be enough. Tarnish on silver requires special methods. Then you can sanitize with a dip (not soak) in rubbing alcohol. Boiling, vinegar and other acids can be hit or miss, especially with gold razors which are more "sensitive" than nickel.
Thank you for the help! I look forward to cleaning them up and seeing how lovely they are, as well as shaving with them. :001_smile

Some flea market finds curtesy of my mother-in-law waiting to be cleaned up. Included in the lot is the sought after aerodynamic knob-less super adjustable.
$image.jpg

Those are really nice!! What do adjustables traditionally run where you are at flea markets? I'd like to have an idea of how much to take with me tomorrow morning when I attempt the flea market mayhem...

Whooohoo. Hope someone can verify for me. Picked up this 1920? combination set. The razor has a very small split at the bottom of the handle but the head looks like it was never used. The head looks like a NEW head and the razor seems a little heavier than a regular ball end tech. Mis match set? I've always wanted to have one in hand and look at them. Now to clean it up a bit.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1382291002145.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1382291002145.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 663
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1382291012933.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1382291012933.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 495
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1382291024402.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1382291024402.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 497
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1382291033536.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1382291033536.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Whooohoo. Hope someone can verify for me. Picked up this 1920? combination set. The razor has a very small split at the bottom of the handle but the head looks like it was never used. The head looks like a NEW head and the razor seems a little heavier than a regular ball end tech. Mis match set? I've always wanted to have one in hand and look at them. Now to clean it up a bit.

That's really nice! Congratulations! :thumbup:

Top Bottom