The Setup:

Sabi Gen Razor
Penworks Finest Badger
Dalan Sensitive Shaving Cream
Lord Platinum Blade (new)
Witch Hazel
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

The Shave

Based upon first shave out, I really like the Sabi Gen. It gave me a close, and comfortable shave, with no irritation. I really enjoy the long handle as well. I would say it shaves about the same as a Knack/ Superspeed in terms of aggression. It seems fairly mild.

Further shaves are needed, but right now, I would say it's a keeper.

Decided to use the Dalan Sensitive cream. It lathers really nicely:

proxy.php

It has a very faint scent, I think I detect citrus, and sandalwood notes in it. It's a very pleasant scent.

The lather was rich, and creamy, and seemed to do an adequate job in providing cushion from the blade.

I would say this cream is a keeper after the first try, but more testing is surely needed.

Overall, a great shave today.

~John~

Last edited:
R

rainman

Your photos of the razor are great. I can see more of the detail than the website. That is a nice looking razor!

UPDATE:

I didn't shave with the razor today, but remember how I said the head of the razor is cheaply made?

Upon closer inspection, I discovered that one of the silo doors doesn't fully seat when the razor is fully closed. While it doesn't appear to effect the shave, it does point to the cheaply made nature of this razor.

I bought this razor, not because I actually needed another razor, but because I wanted to test it as a viable budget minded option for newbies.

While it performs fine at the $10 price point, according to the site the price is going up as of yesterday.

The new price is not yet listed.

If the new price were instead $15, I would absolutely not be recommending it, as that would buy you a Weishi, which since it is positively reviewed, I assume is of better build quality.

I am far more impressed with the $6 Lord Tech I bought alongside of this razor (which is what I shaved with today). :thumbup:

~John~

UPDATE:

I am far more impressed with the $6 Lord Tech I bought alongside of this razor (which is what I shaved with today). :thumbup:

~John~

Though not as easygoing as its successor with the merkur like head I have to agree that it shaves far above its price point indeed. They really seem to know what they are doing in Alexandria, Egypt. :wink:

Though not as easygoing as its successor with the merkur like head I have to agree that it shaves far above its price point indeed. They really seem to know what they are doing in Alexandria, Egypt. :wink:

Fully agree, the "Lord Merkur Tech" is awesome!!! The "Lord Tech" is a good razor, and perfectly acceptable for a newbie to learn on, but nowhere near as wonderful. :biggrin:

QUICK UPDATE:

The Sabi Gen is now $14.99, and at that price, you can buy a Weishi, so my suggestion would be to pass on this razor.

The $8 one looks plastic, but the description on the web site says metal. ?

If it looks plastic, it probably is plastic. I think the website is just wrong. :thumbdown

The website also says the Delan "Cool" shaving cream has menthol, which isn't mentioned anywhere on the package, and having shaved with it, I am fairly certain there is no Menthol. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They're both metal. You're thinking of the Lord Smart and that's not it.

I have owned a Lord Smart, and I am certainly not confusing the two. The Lord Smart is one of the two models of Lord razors, that has the newer Merkur like head.

Last edited:
They're both metal. You're thinking of the Lord Smart and that's not it.

When you take a close look at the package you will see the article number LP1823 which is exactly the Lord Smart 'old style' and it does have a plastic handle as well as a tech like head.

The most intriguing thing about the head, is that the silo doors use the endcaps as their hinge point.

Looking at it, it reminds me a lot of my Gillette Knack, except with a heavier handle. :tongue_sm

I looked at my Gillette Knack last night, and discovered that it also uses the endcaps as the hinge point for the Silo doors. I guess the head is more closely modeled after a Knack/Slim Twist than I had realized.

Not liking to give up on any product, I took some fine grade sandpaper, and sanded some of the rough edges off the parts of the head pieces. This plus applying some downward pressure on the silo door has improved the tightness of the head, and the door now closes down all of the way.

Last edited:
I just noticed that this razor, looks mysteriously like the Sabi Gen, except it has a plastic handle. It is also made in Pakistan. Considering the crapfest that the Sabi Gen is, I guess I won't be buying this Treet razor either.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom