What's new

ROTD Run Of The Day : post yours

5K. We had a weak front push through yesterday and the temp dropped to 66 for tonight's run. Almost felt chilly! 96% humidity, though! Steam is rising off me post-run.

This weekend a fairly strong front is coming. Temps will be closer to normal - highs in the 60s, lows in the 40s. Really cold here is morning temps around freezing and highs in the upper 40s. The Gulf water temp here is still 73. It can get down to 58.

I'm just hoping for a 7 am start in the 50s for the half a week from this Sunday.

It's cooling down now. Rain pushed through and NNW wind is blowing near 20 and gusty. Ran 7.2 miles. 60 degrees now at 4 pm. Looking to bike tomorrow with temps starting in the mid 40s. Brrrrr!

Got your last week of training set up Rick?

Glad you asked! I had a bit of a full weekend with Saturday's run and Sunday's 25 mile windy ride. I took Monday and Tuesday off. It felt like the right thing to do. I then planned two short runs - one tonight and one Friday evening. Much lighter than any recommended half marathon training schedule. Tonight I went 5K with two goals - don't get hurt and get to a little quicker than race pace, maintain, and see how it feels. My race day goal is not too ambitious. Under 2 hours. That's a 9:10 pace. I wanted to run 9:00s tonight. Strava turned out to be a little wishy washy. Strava said I was at 9:02 after one mile and 9:03 after second. I felt really good, like I was really holding back. I picked it up a little over the last half mile to get back to 9:00, but Strava said I did 8:51 for the run (8:40 for the first after I was done??). So, I feel good about where I am. I think I can do better than 9:10 (Again, not super ambitious!). It'll come down to hydration and fuel. I'll be carrying a couple Glukos gels to avoid getting depleted. The temp was 71 this evening, so race day temp should be OK. I took out a new pair of shoes tonight and, as usual, feel I should have done it sooner.

I'll be trying to build glycogen stores and let my Achilles get a little better this week. After the holidays and work and car issues leading up to this half, I'm glad my goal has become a little more than "just finish." The 1:40 half I did in my early 20s seems like ancient history!

Last edited:
Thanks! All done! Great event. Chip time 2:10:03. First mile was slooow. 10:22 from the gun. I started back with my daughter and son-in-law. The pack thinned a bit by mile 6 or so, but the goal was already toast. Super exciting to see the elites cruise by looking so comfortable. Inspiring to do the last mile with a 68 and 72 year old! So many fit people still getting after it late in life.

At the start 61 degrees, 84% humidity, light NE breeze. Really not a factor. The legs needed more training miles going in. The daughter is already talking about next year!

Top Bottom