What's new

Rolls Razor worth?

Hi all,

New to this forum, and new to wet shaving (but LOVING it!)

My grandfather gave me a kit that appeared at first glance to be a "razor sharpening/stropping" kit, but after research I discovered it's a Rolls Razor set minus the handle and hone block.

I'm looking around in used ads for another full kit so I can actually try using this thing (since I doubt a hone block/handle will be found easily separate).

How much is one worth?

I found an ad for this:

$2394fdb_20.jpg

Any ideas?

Welcome Aboard the shave train....They are worth between 20 to 170 bucks if minty new looking. You can get a nice one for 25 bucks shipped in usa. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ENG...A%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=21&pmod=350458867508&ps=54 http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Rol...A%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=21&pmod=350458867508&ps=54

Hmm.. any experiences with them? Good shave? Is the supplied honing stone good enough to keep the blade shave-ready? I think i'm mainly interested because my grandfather gave me the incomplete kit, and it has me frustratingly curious about how it will feel to shave with it!

I really like the idea of straight shaving, and I would like to maybe have one of these as a sort of.. interim step.. between DE and straight.

Hmm.. any experiences with them? Good shave? Is the supplied honing stone good enough to keep the blade shave-ready? I think i'm mainly interested because my grandfather gave me the incomplete kit, and it has me frustratingly curious about how it will feel to shave with it!

I really like the idea of straight shaving, and I would like to maybe have one of these as a sort of.. interim step.. between DE and straight.

I would go with a super speed 1940's to start out in DE shaving..its better choice for newbies, then work your way up to other razors. i think the rolls may be unpridictable in agressiveness but the supr speeds are more geared towards newbies, guaranteed no bleeds.lol

I would go with a super speed 1940's to start out in DE shaving..its better choice for newbies, then work your way up to other razors. i think the rolls may be unpridictable in agressiveness but the supr speeds are more geared towards newbies, guaranteed no bleeds.lol

I have a Merkur 11C with merkur blades and it's been great so far!

the rolls razor seems to be plentiful for some reason... I've seen this one type of razor more often than a lot of others. Either they were really popular, or it was just that time of the year and all of them came out of hiding for the season...

the owner of a local antique store here had 2 of them - a demo model that had a busted hone and a nice one in box still. When I first started looking for razors, stopped by there and asked, and he loved that someone else was showing an interest in razors so he started to tell me about the ones he had (all rather overpriced, unfortunately) and then he busted out the rolls... and I tell you, it was pretty cool to see how it was engineered.

good luck in your hunt!

Yea I went to some stores on Saturday and I actually found one also. It had everything but the handle, so I passed on it. Lots of razors seemed to me to be over priced ($50 for most oxidized/rusted SE razors). I don't know anything about them, though, so those may have been good prices.

Hi all,

My grandfather gave me a kit that appeared at first glance to be a "razor sharpening/stropping" kit, but after research I discovered it's a Rolls Razor set minus the handle and hone block.

I'm looking around in used ads for another full kit so I can actually try using this thing (since I doubt a hone block/handle will be found easily separate).

How much is one worth?

I found an ad for this:

View attachment 186788

Any ideas?

Looks like the handle is there. I see the strop, the mechanism, with the handle in the middle and the blade. Just need a hone block. They do exist, one was sold recently on the Bay (UK). Of course getting a spare set with the hone block is also a possibility. You would have to see if the blade is shave ready. That is not always so. And the built in hone/strop is only for maintenaince, not for putting a new edge on. I paid about 15 usd per complete set, every second one had a shave ready blade.

Hi all,

How much is one worth?

I found an ad for this:

View attachment 186788

Any ideas?
I am sure that they are only worth what you are willing to pay, but you need to have the strop in good order, i.e. Not dry and cracked, also the honing stone must be in one piece, otherwise you will only ruin the blades, so I would suggest you only get a good set, if intend to use it you don't need the cardboard box, and if you don't get the detailed instructions on how to use this razor properly, then you will cut yourself and damage the blade, I am sure that you can find the instructions online, one mistake people make is to use it at the wrong angle to the skin, these razors are made to be used almost flat to the face, and I have not cut myself when using as per the instructions, I hope that I have helped you.

I have a Rolls razor, but it is purely for collectible ... I can't shave with it.
Mine, like almost every one I've ever seen, has a dried-up, scratched strop and a cracked hone.

I'm surprised that that no entrepreneur/craftsman offers after-market replacement parts for these razors.
It should be simple enough to fabricate these from bulk materials, and there's certainly a sizeable niche market that would snap them up in a heartbeat if they were available.

If you go to any antique shop and they almost never have a razor but get one it's usually a rolls. probably the most prolific razor around. Unless never used in the original box I would not bother as a collector item, hardly and value as there are so many.

Top Bottom