Reviving a Dehydrated Coates Tub... And me being a moron

Discussion in 'Shaving Creams' started by Scotto, May 12, 2006.

1. Scotto

Scotto Moderator Emeritus

Well, my order from Knox Cigar the other day yielded, among other things, a couple of tubs of Coates shaving cream. The Lime was in great shape, but alas, the Tea Tree was dehydrated to the point of being rock-hard. Since I had paid for a non-dehydrated tub, a quick call to the good folks at Knox produced a new tub. But now, what to do with the original? Why not try to re-hydrate it? For giggles on a Friday evening, I decided to take a few pics.

Here is the tub:
    [​IMG]

And open:
    [​IMG]
    It is hard to tell from the photo, but the level is about 60% full due to the moisture loss.

My, my, a bit hard, are we? :wink:
    [​IMG]

Clearly we are going to need water. But how much? Being a highly-educated scientist, I figure that if I add water to the tub to the level the fresh container is, that should be the perfect volume. Sounds smart, right?

Anyway, I pull out the dried cream and add it to a mixing bowl:
    [​IMG]

You can also see the water that I need, heated to boiling in the microwave. I add the water, and cover the bowl for a while to let things warm up:
    [​IMG]

OK, time to mix. After a minute or so, I am getting nowhere fast:
    [​IMG]
    This stuff hasn't softened at all. Into the microwave for a bit!

More whisking. Now we are getting somewhere! The bits have softened up and are starting to amalgamate:
    [​IMG]

A bit more elbow grease, and I am pretty proud of myself. I am sooo cool, right?....

Doh!
    [​IMG]

I guess I whipped too much....:blink: :cursing: :mad2:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Careful Scotto, too much of that, and you're gonna have to start shaving your palms too! :tongue_sm

Seriously though, great pictorial! You'll have to let us know how the quality of the shave with the rehydrated stuff is.

-Nick

3. Scotto

Scotto Moderator Emeritus

I actually couldn't resist lathering some up just to make sure I hadn't dorked it up. Worked great.

Hmmm, I can see it now.... I can buy tubs of cream, whip lots of air into them, then sell them at massive profit.... It could be like the ice cream business.

4. Rik

Rik Moderator Emeritus

What's next Scotto?

Basting the turkey with a fine silver tip? You could even carve it with a str8! :biggrin:

5. roughrider

roughrider Moderator Emeritus

Good work Scotto. Nice little pictorial.

6. Nicely done!

Perhaps some sample tubs sent out with the excess?

7. Austin

Austin Moderator Emeritus

Scotto, nice pictorial and funny too.

8. mark the shoeshine boy

mark the shoeshine boy Moderator Emeritus

why you're just the Marthat Stewart aren't you....

mark the shoeshine boy

9. roughrider

Minus the ankle bracelet. :biggrin:

10. guenron

guenron Moderator Emeritus

Yo RR! How do you know what intimate jewelry ol' Scotto wears???:001_rolle

11. you seem to amaze me over and over again ! :a47:

12. Kyle

Kyle Moderator Emeritus Contributor

Just guessing here, but if Scotto did wear an ankle bracelet, it wouldn't last long due to his progenies (that's why I quit wearing mine).

13. roughrider

[​IMG]

:biggrin:

14. ouch

ouch Moderator Contributor

It's been done already. It's called Nancy Boy.:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. If it makes you feel better, you may substitute T&H Ultimate for Nancy Boy (which I happen to like).

15. drP

drP

Scotto,

Very nice little review; i think this thread can be very helpful when we encounter a dried out tub in one of our cabinets, stucked up with dozens of creams:w00t: (one day in the future in 2028 you will discover that tub of GFT limes that you ordered in 2006.......)

Peter

16. ouch

ouch Moderator Contributor

Glad to see you're enjoying the Coates. Pasteur's still has a good stock of them- almost all of the flavors. They're $27, but that's not too bad for a top notch item that's been pretty hard to come by.