What's new

Review of the OneBlade SE Razor

Poonjaji (a very generous B&B member) kindly allowed me to test drive his OneBlade razor this past week, and here’s my review. I’ve broken the review down into four parts: Design, The Shave, Blades, and Price.

Design

This is a really nice looking, all stainless steel, single-edge razor with a pivoting head. It looks terrific. The stainless steel is beautifully finished. And it allows the easy use of Valet Autostrop-style blades, which I really like. The blades slip into the back of the head without a fuss, and they snug in securely without any effort or need to make adjustments. You can tell when you hold it that it’s a nice piece of machinery. Overall I’d describe it as a mild-shaving Valet Autostrop made of stainless steel with a pivoting head.

The OneBlade was designed by the Pensa industrial design firm of Brooklyn. They were hired by the CEO of OneBlade, Tod Barrett, who was hired by the guy who came up with the concept, Porter Stansberry, who publishes a financial newsletter. Mr. Stansberry has a wiki page with info about his background, and Pensa has a website if you are interested.

The pivoting head on the OneBlade is a key design feature. But for me, a pivoting head is too close to what cartridge shaving is all about, because although it makes it nearly impossible to cut yourself, it takes away some of the control over blade angle. I feel as though the razor is doing a bit too much of my shaving for me. If I really needed a pivoting head razor that dialed in the blade angle for me, I’d have to ask myself how interested I am in traditional wet shaving at all. I happily use my pivoting head Fusion from time to time, but when I do, I’m stepping back from traditional wet shaving.

In addition, the pivoting head on the OneBlade seems to me to be a potentially weak point in an otherwise solid stainless design. One of the great things about a Timeless, Above the Tie, Rockwell, or other stainless razor is that you can hold it in your hands and just know it’ll last forever. There are no moving parts to break or wear out with repeated use. The head on the OneBlade kind of rattles a little and has an internal spring (teflon-coated stainless steel) that doesn't feel like it will last forever. I was afraid if I dropped it, it would be game over for the razor, not for my tile floor. No problem for a $10 cartridge razor, but this isn’t that.

The Shave

So how is the shave? For me, very good. Comfy. Definitely on the mild side. I used it for five consecutive days, and it was as easy to use on Day 1 as on Day 5. If you’ve used modern cartridge razors with pivoting heads, you’ll understand how to work this razor right away. Very intuitive. The head is kind of large, and the razor is heavy stainless, so it’s not exactly flickable. And the beautiful handle is not the most ergonomically shaped. But it was really easy to get used to right away. You do need to rinse the razor often, as lather builds up quickly under the head (no lather catcher space on this one).

And I got pretty close shaves with it. Closer than with some razors; not as close as with others. Seems pretty mild and reasonably efficient for how mild it is. It didn’t change my life, but it gave pretty close shaves without irritation. This would be a nice razor for those days when a guy’s mind is elsewhere and he just wants a risk-free comfortable shave.

Blades

The blades have been a topic of discussion, but to me they are a positive feature of the OneBlade, not a negative.

I’m not into despining or clipping blades to make them work, and you don’t need to with this razor. The blades that fit without modification are the excellent Feather FHS-10 (Stainless) or Feather FAS-10 (Carbon Steel) -- the same ones that fit the Valet Autostrop. I prefer the FHS-10 and get mine from Maggard's. They cost $7.00 per 10 pack, which is not as cheap as DE blades, but a competitive price for SE blades. You can also get them from Japanese retailers on Amazon, but they are more expensive there. I'm told Tryablade has them, but I've never bought from there. You can also buy them from OneBlade (in packs or by subscription), but you don’t have to at this time. I’ve heard rumors about OneBlade gaining some sort of exclusive distribution rights, but I’ve never heard anything definitive, and that doesn’t seem to be a problem for North American buyers right now. [I did stock up recently for my Valet though, just in case].

These blades seem to last as long in the OneBlade as they do in a Valet Autostrop. And why wouldn’t they? A razor is just a blade holder after all. For me, an FHS-10 blade lasts 7-10 shaves. The one I used in the OneBlade was still going strong after 5. OneBlade recommends changing the blade after every use (??). But OneBlade also sells the blades. Which brings us to price.

Price

The base model OneBlade sells for $399, and the Gunmetal Gray Special Edition for $499. To the best of my knowledge, the razor is only available from the manufacturer’s website, so there are no dealer discounts. Let’s leave aside OneBlade’s recommendation that you change the blade with every use, assume the blade cost will be that of any other SE razor, and just focus on cost of the razor itself.

Is the OneBlade razor worth $400-$500?

I just don’t see it.

What’s unique about the OneBlade is you get three attributes in one razor: (1) Use of the excellent Valet-style Feather blade; (2) Quality stainless steel construction; and (3) A pivoting head. I appreciate all three attributes now and then, but I don't need them every day or in one razor. All three attributes are available on other excellent razors for much less, just not all in the same razor. Overall, it seems to me like a pretty good razor if you like pivoting head razors. So this razor might have a place in my cabinet if it sold for $100-$150. (I’d just be really careful about not dropping it.) And judging from its construction, I’m guessing it could be profitably sold at that price point.

But at $400-$500, there's something else going on. The razor doesn't justify that kind of scratch all by itself. The pricing is not even close to that of other superbly made stainless steel razors that will last forever. Single-edge razors are not Swiss watches or bespoke suits or automobiles or even fine wines. They are simple machines, relatively inexpensive to manufacture, whose sole function is to hold a razor blade. This is a good razor, but it's that good. So this razor appears to be priced with something else in mind.

It seems to me the OneBlade is intentionally way overpriced simply to attract a certain type of consumer.

I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks Charles for a very detailed and thoughtful review. If you want a break on the price, Amazon got it for $340.

Amazon.com: OneBlade Razor & Stand - Model 2.0 (includes 10 Feather FHS-10 Razor Blades): Health & Personal Care

While the design of the razor really intrigues me, the price, pivoting head, and proprietary blade has held me back.

Springing $230 for an RX was way over budget for me, but it was a great shaving razor and so I guess for some, they may feel the same way for a $399 razor.

> (2) Quality stainless steel construction

On the DE forum side the MIM process is criticized by some who prefer a machined from billet razor. That you are concerned about the razor surviving a drop to the tile floor is telling.

According to others, OneBlade is the exclusive vendor for the FHS-10 blade in North America. If that is true, when Maggards runs out, you're a OneBlade customer for life. Theirs or yours.

Nice review!

Last edited:
I echo the comments of everyone else in this thread: a very thorough and detailed review! Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts on the razor into writing, Charles. :001_smile

On the DE forum side the MIM process is criticized by some who prefer a machined from billet razor. That you are concerned about the razor surviving a drop to the tile floor is telling.

I don't know enough about metal working to judge the qualities of cast vs. machined vs. metal-injection-molded steel. But I'm pretty sure this razor is a combination of MIM and some stamped sheet steel. There are lots of little parts that would be really hard to machine and some complex shapes that would be hard to cast. It doesn't feel delicate exactly, but it definitely feels more fragile than any 3 piece stainless razor I've seen, including the $40 Fendrihan Ambassador/Scientist.

@Komboloi thanks for the objective review. Too many hype reviews out there on this razor.
Well, there is some hype and those that are zealous about it. But it does do what it says it does. Gives you a good, clean, and worry free shave. I bought one because I just had to see for myself what all the talk was about. It's the only razor where you don't have to think about how good or bad your technique is. It's damn near impossible to screw up your shave with it. Those that look at shaving as a chore or a necessary evil to comply with a job or career, will probably fall in love with it. I think what puts people off is the high price of admission, then your forced basically to purchase blades via subscription or through OB exclusively. They get you up front, the middle and the end. Damn shame, because it shaves pretty darn well......

Are the refurbished OneBlade razors that sell for $90 available to the general public?

Great question, Feather-man. I have never seen it referenced anywhere, but someone should inquire. I would not hesitate to buy one at $90.

After Charles' incredibly thoughtful review I was debating widening the circle and making my razor available for a tour/pass-around. However, I see this thread is already starting down the path of nearly every OneBlade thread with the derogatory comments. (Not you, Feather-man.) How about we keep this informational, gentleman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great question, Feather-man. I have never seen it referenced anywhere, but someone should inquire. I would not hesitate to buy one at $90.

I saw it in an Amazon review, and the OneBlade rep didn't contradict it. But yeah, a used razor for $90 refurbished, it's a deal.

Thanks for a great review. My take on the OneBlade is that the selling price has to recoup the significant R&D expenses and tooling costs for the MIM moulds. Sure, they are cheap to produce but there's a lot of sunk cost to be recovered.

As for its USPs – it really is the combination of high-quality outcomes with low skill levels that make it attractive. There is a whole demographic out there who will pay well for something that performs demonstrably better than mid-market products (say Fusion) and hobby shavers who take pride in their highly developed technique and ability to adapt to different soaps, blades, razors, etc., aren't necessarily part of that target market.

Are the refurbished OneBlade razors that sell for $90 available to the general public?
As far as I know they are only available to current customers. In addition to the lifetime warranty, Oneblade offers the option of buying a refurbished one in case you damage yours.

After Charles' incredibly thoughtful review I was debating widening the circle and making my razor available for a tour/pass-around. However, I see this thread is already starting down the path of nearly every OneBlade thread with the derogatory comments. (Not you, Feather-man.) How about we keep this informational, gentleman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My comments were not intended to put the OB in a negative light @poonjaji. I own one myself, because I believe more in my own experience than just solely taking the experience and complete word or opinion of another who can walk on either side of the fence concerning this razor without having even tried it. Just as I've stated, it is a fine and well made razor and I appreciate all it has to offer. The best shave a man can give himself in under 5 minutes. I believe there is no other razor on this planet that can do that cleanly and efficiently as the OB. All others require a specific set of skills and technique that must be acquired through time of use. You'll achieve that clean, efficient BBS shave with any particular razor with experience and learning it's characteristics. IMHO, the OB eliminates most of the skill, experience and technique required to achieve a BBS or as close to it as possible. Is that a good thing? For some yes and for some no. Is it expensive? Yes, no doubt about it. Can you live without one? Absolutely. I just chose not to. It has a permanent place in my shave den. The FHS-10 blades? If there is a weakness in the OB, it is how to obtain the blades. Subscription service or one time purchases through OB themselves. That's the only caveat for me in this whole package. Razor is fine, blade acquisition is not so fine. That was the only point I was trying to make or get across.

Regards, Gus

Top Bottom