What's new

Reliable drip machine for home? Recommendations please

Find a 48 oz measure and use that amount of water for a full pot.

You need something besides the carafe as the machine will start brewing as soon as you start to add the water. You won't be able to use the glass carafe as you won't have time to pour the water and get it under the filter before it starts dropping coffee.

You might be able to find one in a thrift shop or call the person you got the brewer from and ask if they have the Bunn beaker and just forgot to give it to you.

The Bunn one is narrow (on the right in this pic) so you know what it looks like

Got it, thanks for the size. The seller didn't even know what I was talking about so it's obviously long gone. I'll just have to fill the Pyrex 3 times for a full pot. The parts that I could see were all extremely clean; looks barely used. I'm extremely excited to get it going, thanks for all the guidance so far, Mick!

What I've done for my 12 cup commercial Bunn brewers is use a plastic pitcher that I got from a thrift store and drew a line on it at 72 oz (which is a full pot for the larger machine). I just fill to that marker line. You should be able to find a plastic pitcher at your local goodwill or sally. You may even come across a Bunn one. I've seen the Bunn beakers in thrift stores before. Not common but they do appear.

[QUOTE="turtle, post: 8826301, member: 47553" the carafe under the basket and are ready to go before adding the water.

As soon as you pour in the water it will start brewing so DO NOT treat it like a Mr. Coffee as you won't have the time to get the carafe under the basket before the coffee starts coming out.

[/QUOTE]

Turtle, My machine must be a generation newer than your white one. It looks just like your picture with the top off, except there is a teeter totter arrangement. One end of which plugs that hole and the other end controlled by a hinged cover over that fill grate. The plug needs cleaned once in awhile, or it will start to act like you describe.

Bill

Turtle, My machine must be a generation newer than your white one. It looks just like your picture with the top off, except there is a teeter totter arrangement. One end of which plugs that hole and the other end controlled by a hinged cover over that fill grate. The plug needs cleaned once in awhile, or it will start to act like you describe.

Bill

The ones I have are easily 20 + years old and still chugging along.

Brew water temp stays between 196 and 200 through the cycle (starting hotter and dropping a couple degrees during the brew cycle)

The ones I have are easily 20 + years old and still chugging along.

Brew water temp stays between 196 and 200 through the cycle (starting hotter and dropping a couple degrees during the brew cycle)
I bought BUNN GRB Velocity Brew 10 Cup Coffee Brewer 38300.0064 last year it maintains the water temperature on the low end of the recommended brewing temperature. This brewer does an excellent job. I think it is similar to what Okie Bill has. Brewing on the low end of the brewing temperature seems to help make good coffee from some of the store bought coffees. The bitter tastes stay in the grinds.

Well the Cuisinart is still running and the cats haven't broken any carafes :) so the spare is still taking up space. Thanks for all the good info here; I'll be on the lookout for Yauco coffee!

A second failure, same as on the first DCC-500. The basket has a "sneak-a-cup" feature so you can remove the carafe while brewing. I will try to get a warranty replacement but Cuisinart's phone system is down for an upgrade.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have a cappuccino every morning from my Delonghi Magnifica superauto. However, in case it ever stops working, I have my trusty Melitta pourover ready to take up the slack. Only a couple of bucks but works great. The best thing is, you can customize the brew time by the pour speed, you can pre-wet the coffee or not, you can adjust your water temp, in fact every single aspect of the brew process. An electric kettle and electric grinder on a timer, and it is not very time consuming at all. Get up, dump the grinder contents into the pourover cone filter, set the whole bidness on op of your favorite mug, pour hot water in, and bobs yer uncle.

I have a Gaggia (Baby) coffee machine for about 15 years and it just works, it takes no time to get your coffee in the morning and it is always exceptional, lots of crema and two cups at a time. Now I'm thinking of buying new one machine with grinder , like this cozzy At the end of the day I just want a half decent brew I enjoy and I want it at the push of a button without the faff and hassle of grinding the beans myself and processing through a machine that cost more than my bike. I'm not that much of a coffee snob. There is a cost/convenience balance here.

Followup: another filter basket failed and was replaced under warranty. The machine otherwise is holding up fine.

Another vote for Moccamaster here. Well worth the money, nice looking, well built, bombproof unit that makes great coffee.

Followup: another filter basket failed and was replaced under warranty. The machine otherwise is holding up fine.

What part of the basket is breaking?

Can you get one that does not have a shut off?

Getting a cup before the brew is finished will give up one awful cup followed by one awful pot of coffee. I.E. it's not a "feature" it's a "failure".

Since this thread has been revived I thought I’d pop in and mention that the Bonavita 1900 auto/pour over that I picked up in Sept 2016 has seen near daily use and is still going strong. It’s simple design, ease of cleaning, ease of use, no nonsense approach to making a good cup of coffee tics all of the boxes for me. I was concerned about longevity and as I creep up on 2 years I’m hopeful this unit will be around for quite some time.

Back on B&B for the first time in a long time! The part that always fails on the filter basket is the spring-loaded valve assembly on the bottom. That said, no failures in the last year despite being used twice daily.

Welcome back! Glad it's working out awesome. Tech these days isn't what it used to be, which is why we still drip coffee with an instant hot from back when.

Since this thread has been revived I thought I’d pop in and mention that the Bonavita 1900 auto/pour over that I picked up in Sept 2016 has seen near daily use and is still going strong. It’s simple design, ease of cleaning, ease of use, no nonsense approach to making a good cup of coffee tics all of the boxes for me. I was concerned about longevity and as I creep up on 2 years I’m hopeful this unit will be around for quite some time.

Dec '19 and I'm enjoying a cup of coffee from the now 3+ year old Bonavita 1900 as I type this note.

Wanted to drop back in The Cafe for the first time in many years just to thank @Mick for his coffee guru knowledge.

My wife and I had our first son about a month ago and I just pulled the Bunn Pour-Omatic out of storage as we have family coming to stay and need more coffee support beyond the Moccamaster. Thankfully I had printed out the 1980s manual but had also written down all your instructions for cleaning on the back page of the manual. Of course I went and found this old thread regardless, but always good to have it written down too.

After 2+ years in storage, the Bunn came to life with absolutely no issues and after a citric acid bath, is back to making great pots of coffee. This old girl is an absolute beast and I'm certain they don't make em like this anymore.

proxy.php

I still have both of my old pour-o-matic home brewers. One is a high altitude brewer (lower boiling point at high altitudes). I need to start thinning... there are 5 auto drip brewers down here from a 3 cup Melitta to a 16 cup commercial Bunn.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom