What's new

Reliable drip machine for home? Recommendations please

I can also recommend using citric acid for descaling. It's very efficient and doesn't leave you with the nasty odor that vinegar does. I can also highly recommend getting a Moccamaster, I love mine! :biggrin1:

proxy.php

The Technivorm comes in a glass or thermal carafe as does the Bonavita

proxy.php

+1 For the Bonavita. Original purchased the themal carafe ver. but purchased a glass Mellita which I use daily. Carafe is great for keeping coffee hot but I drink it right away. Glass is lighter and easier to clean.

Don't like the Technivorm spray head stream.

Very nice, I want one (or a 'vorm) eventually.

But "clean"? what is this "clean"? :)

I just rinse my carafe. I don't remember the last time I washed the inside with soap but I try to do it quarterly or so, maybe. Beautiful mix of oils coating that thing at this point, I always hate to ruin that.

You can use UREX Cafiza which will dissolve coffee oils and stains.

http://www.urnexbrand.com/products/Cafiza_Espresso_Machine_Cleaning_Powder.aspx

I use it in my espresso machine to back flush and to clean my carafes and brew vessels.

They all come out mirror shiny and squeaky clean.

Amazing stuff.

I will mix up a batch when the inside of my air pots start to look dark. I go from one into another into another until I have cleaned all of my coffee "bits"

This happens 4 times a year so it is economical.

For what it's worth, Williams-Sonoma has an extra 30% off their sale stuff and the Mokkamaster is on there. Total comes to $132, I do believe.

I suggest that whatever you buy you buy off Amazon and get the warranty. It's pretty inexpensive considering the cost of the coffee maker.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've had my Technivorm Moccamaster for years and make at least two pots a day. As long as you can adjust to the better tasting coffee you'll be happy.

First:

Thanks again to all who posted.

I got a Cuisinart DCC-500 for Christmas. The coffee was not quite as good as the previous machine but acceptable. Alas, the giver did not provide a gift receipt. Alas it had a mechanical failure already.

The Cuisinart has a "sneak-a-cup" valve at the bottom of the drip basket holder; Mr. Coffee has a similar feature. I didn't realize how important to me this was until it broke!

I was able to fix it the first time but it broke again and a part got lost while I was not around. I lived with that for a day or two and then the carafe got broken, allegedly by a cat knocking it off the counter.

Since it had two broken parts and I was in Costco and we have two caffeine addicts in the house, I spent $30 and bought a new Mr. Coffee. It's acceptable but noisy and the top gets hot enough to burn your fingers. I'm too lazy to take it back but I have buyer's remorse. It's an ECX-41CP.

The Cuisinart is under warranty but it costs $10 to exercise that warranty by shipping it back.

So learn from my bad example. Get that gift receipt, go for the metal carafe if you have dangerous cats. If you're buying cheap ones, I strongly preferred the Cuisinart over the Mr. Coffee.

Like the old song says:

"Mothers, tell your children not to do what I have done."

Last edited:
Good news! Cuisinart is replacing the filter basket holder under warranty at no charge. I'm taking Mr. Coffee back to Costco - it's just awful. Alas metal carafes are not available from Cuisinart for this model.

Just a couple of things (FYI- We have a Technivorm and love it!). Bonavita and Technivorm are two of only a very few who meet the standards for certification by the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA) - basically it's for consistency of temperature and drip times. Neither, I think, come with timers- timers, as stated above, often lead to failures and reliability issues. Just something to think about. :detective:As to prices- Bonavita is about half the price of Technivorm and both come with either glass or insulated carafes. I think Seattle Coffee regularly offers a 10% or more discount on the Technivorm for open box (full warranty). Best of luck!

I have a Cuisinart that grinds and brews. You can set the timer and wake up to freshly ground and brewed coffee. Life is good. :thumbup1:

I can't say enough good things about the Technivorm Moccamaster. I've had this model:
http://www.technivorm.com/products/brewers_for_home-use/kbgt_741_polished_silver/

for over six years and love it. I use it at least 5 days a week. Dependable and simple. You can't ask for a better coffee maker in my mind.
I grind my beans using an old Starbucks Barrista burr grinder.
Pay once for the quality and enjoy.
thanks,
Rick

An exceptional combination. brewer and grinder (I am assuming your starbucks is the Baratza Maestro as you used a stock pic).

The Moccamaster is a very respectable home auto dripper.

Thanks all, things are looking up. Cuisinart replaced the problem basket holder at no cost despite my lack of a receipt. Costco took back Mr. Coffee with no hassle three weeks after purchase. I got a replacement carafe for the Cuisinart from Amazon. Alas no metal carafe is available for that model. I'll see whether the Cuisinart fails again or glass carafes get broken often and keep you posted.

Top Bottom