What's new

Reliable drip machine for home? Recommendations please

I'm not as particular as some folks; I'm fine with the coffee from my Mr. Coffee but...

I can't find a reliable home drip machine! My fourth one in under three years just started to act up.

This is my second Mr. Coffee to fail within a year or two of purchase. I can't remember whether the dud before that was Black and Decker or Proctor-Silex but it didn't last.

I'm only making one pot a day; I don't need a timer. I'm competing with my family for counter space so a big industrial monster is out.

Buying one good machine will be cheaper than a new junker every year...

Any suggestions please would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Cuisinart or Zojirushi are good. They will have timers since that is more or less expected with a more reliable brand. For 100% reliability, lower price and arguably better coffee you might want to consider a nice teapot and a french press. Cleaning takes the same time as swapping filters in a drip machine.

I'm not as particular as some folks; I'm fine with the coffee from my Mr. Coffee but...

I can't find a reliable home drip machine! My fourth one in under three years just started to act up.

This is my second Mr. Coffee to fail within a year or two of purchase. I can't remember whether the dud before that was Black and Decker or Proctor-Silex but it didn't last.

I'm only making one pot a day; I don't need a timer. I'm competing with my family for counter space so a big industrial monster is out.

Buying one good machine will be cheaper than a new junker every year...

Any suggestions please would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Some key points I took note of in your post:

- Must be reliable
- Don't need the bells and whistles
- Can't take up the whole countertop
- Buy once, cry once.

I've got two words for you...Technivorm Moccamaster.

Covers all of your needs and it makes killer coffee! I absolutely love mine and don't anticipate the need to ever replace it (assuming a piano doesn't fall on it someday).

Good luck in the quest!

Thanks! I never heard of Zojirushi but they look substantial. Having a carafe that will come clean in the dishwasher is a plus!

I've got two words for you...Technivorm Moccamaster.
My Moccamaster was very reliable but I doubt it's in the price range the OP is considering. The OP really should have included a budget. That said, I resold mine several years after buying it for the same price as what I paid for it so it really didn't cost me anything.

They will have timers since that is more or less expected with a more reliable brand.
Timers are popular and likely to be found on many machines but they're not mutually inclusive with reliability.

Last edited:
Thanks all! I think I've spent over $200 on bad coffeemakers in three years. I see a
Technivorm Moccamaster for $310 online which would be about the most I can imagine spending.
There's also the psychological benefit of not rewarding the makers of the disposables. Thanks!

Last edited:
To give an opinion I believe it can be hit-or-miss with these cheaper auto-drip machines that cost less than $100. Some of them will last a long time, while others will not. Where the price is determined more by extra features such as a timer or external finish, and not necessarily better than cheaper units.

This will not serve your needs if you have a busy morning, but if you have a little extra time, a thermal carafe and filter can be an inexpensive and reliable way to brew. Couple of examples below (not really meant as specific recommendations, though either should work well):

1) Melitta Coffee Maker
proxy.php

2) RSVP Manual Drip Coffee Filter Cone for Thermos
proxy.php
Zojirushi Polished Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Thermal Carafe
+
proxy.php

This is what I use. I have 2 so I make one for me and one for the wife at the same time. Takes about 10 minutes. Great coffee(way better than any auto-drip machine), easy to clean, takes up way less space than a coffee pot, great coffee and only costs about 4 bucks each.
proxy.php

Thanks all! I think I've spent over $200 on bad coffeemakers in three years. I see a
Technivorm Moccamaster for $310 online which would be about the most I can imagine spending.
There's also the psychological benefit of not rewarding the makers of the disposables. Thanks!

Check your local water quality report. you can google your city + municipal water report to find out how it stands up. If you have a high mineral content you should descale your brewer as often as every 90 days in severe locations.

If you are looking for a good replacement of typical big box store "coffee pots"

Bonavita sells for less than the Technivorm and rates close.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bonavita+technivorm+comparison&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited:
Capresso mt600 with thermal carafe. Had one for five years still going strong and makes awesome coffee. Gave one to my parents for christmas 3yrs ago they love it. Unfortunately they are sold out most everywhere.

I've got a KitchenAid that I've used everyday for the past 6 years. I love it - still going strong. You might double check the dimensions to make sure it fits your space. I know you didn't want bells and whistles but it's got a timer, variable brew strength selector, and gold tone filter. Once you've used the variable brew strength, you'll wonder what you ever did without it! It can be had for about $80. Above all, it's really well made.

proxy.php

Moccamaster. No question. Extremely simple construction, there's really nothing to break. Keep your eye on your local craigslist or similar for a deal. People get these things all the time for wedding gifts and then resell them because they don't really like coffee or are happy enough with a cheapo. I've gotten two that way now.

Braun would get my vote
I got 15 years out of a West Bend and I had 2 cheap ones since. When this one dies I am going to go with a Kitchen Aid or Braun

If you get a Technivorm or something at that price range (Bonavita, Brazen etc) . I would spend the extra money to get it at a reliable retailer where you can return it if there is a problem. Even high quality machines can have issues and they usually show within the return grace period of most retailers. Also I would get the thermal carafe models not the glass uninsulated ones.

If you get a Technivorm or something at that price range (Bonavita, Brazen etc) . I would spend the extra money to get it at a reliable retailer where you can return it if there is a problem. Even high quality machines can have issues and they usually show within the return grace period of most retailers. Also I would get the thermal carafe models not the glass uninsulated ones.

Technivorm has a lifetime warranty, fyi.

From what I understand, a coffee maker that heats the water to the correct temp is the most important thing that effects the taste. There are only 2 drip makers that bring the water to the correct temp and one of them is the BonaVita.

http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV18...5379271&sr=1-2&keywords=bonavita+coffee+maker

Incorrect. Click the link I posted above, it shows the current SCAA approved brewers; keep in mind that others may, and a few do, meet the required temps, they just aren't recognized by the SCAA.

Top Bottom