Red Dot with date code of F

Discussion in 'Double Edged Razors' started by IronHammer, Jan 6, 2012.

1. I just ran across a Red Dot with a date code of F-4.

How is it possible to have a Red Dot with a date code of F? Weren't they only made very a short period during the first quarter of 1958?

2. OK, now that it's done...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140672562150

Don't know either, but my guess is that they were using up Toggle parts, since it coincides with the later F-series Toggles.

$$(KGrHqJ,!p8E63Zwg4W(BO+hqUF0J!~~60_3.jpg

$$(KGrHqRHJB!E7)t9Vr-2BO+hqf41gg~~60_3.jpg

3. I tried to ask without implicating there was an impending ebay listing on it ;-)

Who won this beauty? I have never heard of an F-series red dot before.

4. i was on the button with a much higher bid but my internet stucks. what a f... thats life...

5. The serial numbered Toggles were thought to be prototypes until just this last year.

There was such a flurry of adjustables in 1960 (F-4) that in a way, I'm not overly surprised to see a F-4 Red Dot. But there may not have been many if they are now just coming to light.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. No clue, but it sure looks good!

7. I was tempted to bid but knew it was going to go for more than my limit...

8. M80

M80 Contributor

Aren't those the instructions you were looking for an image of recently? Did you wind up opening yours?

9. Well, add this to the list of formerly unheard of date codes along with this F1 Red Tip.

10. An F-4 Red Dot FatBoy, there would be a certain kind of symmetry looking at the product lines of 1958 and 1960 if there was a D-1 Toggle / Red Dot FatBoy and a F-4 Toggle / Red Dot FatBoy in those years. If you stop and look at the razors, they are very closely related. Their DNA varies only at the opening mechanism and plating.

Hopefully I will be able to confirm this in a few days....:)

11. Very congrats Tom!!!

12. Thanks Todd, it will be interesting to see if this sale shakes another one loose. That often seem to be the way. I have inquired with the seller to see if there is any background info to be learned. Long shot really, but you never know.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  13. Jake

Jake Contributor

Great score Tom! Excellent. Congratulations on extending your remarkable collection. Harem?

14. I'm curious to know if the case is larger than the regular Fat Boy case as it is with the D1 model.

15. The lid has the larger posts like a D-1 case.

16. Thanks Jake, I feel incredibly lucky, this should be an unique set or at worst a pricey case for the D-1....:001_smile

17. Man you are kicking some goals lately!

Great score mate

18. Indeed it does. Good eye. :thumbup1:

19. That is very cool. It definitely looks like an "F" to me in the picture. Always finding something new...

20. Tom,

Congratulations!

Just for the record I was the one you beat out for that beauty. If it doesn't live up to your expectations I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012