What's new

Really impressed with this little Shumate Curved Tungsteel

Got this in a lot I bought to get the coticule contained within it awhile back and it sat unloved for a time. Whoever owned this blade originally honed it like you would hone a pin straight solingen spike point so it needed a lot of correction. Also, they crashed the stabilizers badly. Anyway, with bad weather rendering me bored I got this thing going a week and a half ago or so reinstating the smile and cleaning the other issues. This is a damn good razor-particularly given the small amount of mass it has. The steel is completely painless on the stones, the razor is extremely efficient at hair removal and it's smooooth... Apart from the green lizard this may be the best American straight razor I've ever come across. It's just super manuverable and any spot on the cutting edge is really viable as it is that slight bit more smiling than most hollows. If I had to criticize it at all, the jimps could be deeper, but that's about it... I found an ad for these online.
$20170121_190704.jpg
shumate_ad_1.jpg

It is between 9 and 10/16 so I am guessing 5/8 for one that wasn't honed much. Really excellent though, between the edge it took and the smile it has as much effortless cutting power as a larger blade

Isn't it funny how some you may overlook or pass by turn out to be so surprisingly good.
I'd bet that's more like handling a sports car , light ,nimble as opposed to a larger blade. The curved edge automatically induces a slicing/scythe stroke instead of a straight edge plowing into your beard.
Love the ad too! Just great.

I love smiling blades. You don't see too many american blades with a setup like this... Or hollows. It's probably why so many janky regtound wedges with smiles shave so well.

Found another one of these in a flea market today for $10. Need to hone out a chip and clean it up but a really nice one.

Attachments

• 20170219_144946.jpg
    20170219_144946.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Found another one of these in a flea market today for $10. Need to hone out a chip and clean it up but a really nice one.
I read your post of Feb. 19, 2017, in which you wrote, "Found another one of these (Shumate Tunsteel straight razor) in a flea market today for $10. Need to hone out a chip and clean it up but a really nice one." Well, I'm curious about your attempt to hone out the chip. You see, I recently bought the same razor on eBay and, just like yours, it has a tiny chip in the blade. I was wondering if you were successful and how much work it was to hone out the chip. Depending on your answer, I may just return my razor for a refund. Thank you. Kmadden

Well it was right at the toe so I gave it a very gentle rounding off to delete it prior to resetting the bevel. It depends where your damage is and how deep it goes

Top Bottom