What's new

Ready to Jump In!

Howdy Brown Leafers, I'm ready to explore another one of the finer things here at B&B. Looking for some suggestions on where to start and what to start with! I'm just looking for a decent budget setup that would be good for trying a nice variety of blends. So there you go - I'm a blank slate, let me have it! And thank you in advance for the suggestions!

Welcome and we are glad to have you here! You can't go wrong with a cob. They are cheap and provide a great smoke. As for tobaccos, I would get a sampling of a bunch of different types of blends, like an aromatic or two, burleys, Virginias, English, Balkan/Oriental, Virginia/Perique, and Virginia/Burley. Some great starter tobaccos would be Carter Hall, Frog Morton Across the Pond, Frog Morton Cellar, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake and Luxury Navy Flake.

I can't help you with aromatics because I don't smoke them. I am sure someone here can help you in that regard. Remember to smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Discovering what you like is half the fun. And there are literally thousands of blends out there to try!

Happy Puffing!

Yep definitely look at the Missouri meerschaum corn cob pipes. They are inexpensive and smoke excellent. If you want a cheap knock around briar then look at the morgan pipes "bones" line. Very affordable and smoke excellent. They are popular around here with good reason. I have 4 myself haha.

Tobacco blends I would definitely try some from the major categories. When I started I grabbed an aromatic like lane 1q, a Virginia based blend (orlick golden sliced is pretty good mild one), and an english Latakia based blend ( the frog morton blends are awesome frog morton cellar being my favorite so far).

As far as the tools for a tamper a golf tee works awesome but Czech tools and pipe nails can be had for cheap too. When I started I used an actual nail I had laying around :lol:. Any lighter will do. I've got a few "pipe" lighters but use a cheapy clipper lighter the most. Most everything else is just enjoying your tobaccos and practicing your technique (packing and smoking slow). It certainly is relaxing and enjoyable! Have fun! :thumbup:

Howdy Brown Leafers, I'm ready to explore another one of the finer things here at B&B. Looking for some suggestions on where to start and what to start with! I'm just looking for a decent budget setup that would be good for trying a nice variety of blends. So there you go - I'm a blank slate, let me have it! And thank you in advance for the suggestions!
I'll summarize the rest of the thread for you:

"Buy all of the things!!!" :D

I'll summarize the rest of the thread for you:

"Buy all of the things!!!" :D
doc.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys! I would like to note that I do not have a beard, and I hope you won't think any less of me because of this. One another note, I would like to warn you that I am unenableable. Yes, unenableable. I have a feeling some time in the BL forum could change that :thumbup:

Here's some suggestions that are beginner friendly...

Burley: Solani Aged Burley Flake, Carter Hall
English: McClelland Frog Morton, Dunhill Nightcap
Straight Virginia: Dunhill Flake, McClelland Christmas Cheer (any year)
VaBur: Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired, Solani Silver Flake
VaPer: Orlik Golden Sliced, Escudo

In my opinion, aromatics should be held off on until you get more experience in smoking. You kind of have to finesse the flavor out of them if you don't want them to bite or taste like hot air.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Thanks for the advice guys! I would like to note that I do not have a beard, and I hope you won't think any less of me because of this. One another note, I would like to warn you that I am unenableable. Yes, unenableable. I have a feeling some time in the BL forum could change that :thumbup:

Sir, I accept your challenge. :a11:

Hirsute

Here's some suggestions that are beginner friendly...

Burley: Solani Aged Burley Flake, Carter Hall
English: McClelland Frog Morton, Dunhill Nightcap
Straight Virginia: Dunhill Flake, McClelland Christmas Cheer (any year)
VaPer: Orlik Golden Sliced, Escudo

In my opinion, aromatics should be held off on until you get more experience in smoking. You kind of have to finesse the flavor out of them if you don't want them to bite or taste like hot air.

This is a solid list. I might change one or two, but you really can't go wrong with these. I would add a few aromatic recommendations; some are easier to smoke than others and I think they're OK for beginners. If you want aros, check out: Just For Him Shortcut to Mushrooms, Just for Him Treebeard, (the Just for Him blends are available only directly from Just for Him); Scotty's Butternut Burley, Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Dark Vanilla.

This is a solid list. I might change one or two, but you really can't go wrong with these. I would add a few aromatic recommendations; some are easier to smoke than others and I think they're OK for beginners. If you want aros, check out: Just For Him Shortcut to Mushrooms, Just for Him Treebeard, (the Just for Him blends are available only directly from Just for Him); Scotty's Butternut Burley, Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Dark Vanilla.

Just out of curiosity, what would your list be?

Hirsute

Just out of curiosity, what would your list be?

Here are the minor tweaks I'd make to your list for a beginner:

Burley: Solani Aged Burley Flake, Uhle's Perfection Plug or 00
Drug Store/OTC
: Carter Hall, Edgeworth RR
English: McClelland Frog Morton Cellar (admittedly more of a x-over blend), Dunhill Nightcap, Dunhill MM965
Oriental: Briarworks Pete's Beard, McConnell Oriental (these are both VA-Oriental blends with no Lat)

Straight Virginia: Dunhill Flake, Dunhill 3-year matured VA
VaPer: Orlik Golden Sliced, Escudo, Solani 633

Here are the minor tweaks I'd make to your list for a beginner:

Burley: Solani Aged Burley Flake, Uhle's Perfection Plug or 00
Drug Store/OTC
: Carter Hall, Edgeworth RR
English: McClelland Frog Morton Cellar (admittedly more of a x-over blend), Dunhill Nightcap, Dunhill MM965
Oriental: Briarworks Pete's Beard, McConnell Oriental (these are both VA-Oriental blends with no Lat)

Straight Virginia: Dunhill Flake, Dunhill 3-year matured VA
VaPer: Orlik Golden Sliced, Escudo, Solani 633

I gotta try Uhle's one of these days.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
David, what kind of a budget are you looking at? You could start out with just a corn cob pipe, a pouch of Carter Hall, a pack of pipe cleaners, and a nail tamper for around $15. But, if you wanted, you could also drop $1000 on a 3.5 ounce chunk of tobacco, get a pipe that costs thousands, etc. :001_rolle

I'll stay away from tobacco recommendations, because there have already been some great ones mentioned, and tobacco selections can be far more daunting that getting a pipe.

David, what kind of a budget are you looking at? You could start out with just a corn cob pipe, a pouch of Carter Hall, a pack of pipe cleaners, and a nail tamper for around $15. But, if you wanted, you could also drop $1000 on a 3.5 ounce chunk of tobacco, get a pipe that costs thousands, etc. :001_rolle

That sounds eerily familiar! I suffer from a severe case of DE AD. I was setting a flexible budget goal of $50 all-in for the initial setup - pipe, accessories, samples. I'm wide open (and woefully uninformed) on pipe suggestions, but am just looking for something that would be good for trying a few different blends so I could get a taste for what I like.

A Missouri meerschaum corn cob pipe is probably your best bet to start. They are perfect for trying different blends. Also they are inexpensive and give you lots of fund left for the other doo-dads and lots of tobacco to try :thumbup:. I get mine from aristocob. They give a free golf tee tamper with each pipe :001_smile

You can always go the seconds grab bag route from Missouri Meerschaum. It's a bag of cobs that have a slight imperfections in their appearance. Half the time you won't even be able to figure out what's wrong with them. They all smoke just the same as the non-seconds. Plus it allows you to dedicate pipes to specific styles of blends (i.e. one for aromatics, one for Latakia blends, and one for Virginias/Burleys/VaPers/VaBurs)

10 Pipe Grab Bag of Smokable Seconds | Pipe Grab Bag | Smokable Seconds

Top Bottom