What's new

RazoRock Wunderbar Slant and Personna Lab Blue

Today I had one of the smoothest shaves ever with the extraordinary Wunderbar paired with a Personna Lab Blue. This blade is far from my favorite, although many like it a lot. Some report that the Personna is long lasting. Jim Chandler reports 30 shaves with a Lab Blue. I have never found that myself, but I can say that paired with the Wunderbar I got a super close and also very comfortable and irritation free shave.
The interesting thing is that this blade had already been used four times. The fact that it was perhaps a little duller than if brand new made it easier to get a close shave, not harder.
The Wunderbar is so efficient that maybe it works optimally with smoother, slightly duller blades.
By contrast I recently paired the Wunderbar with a brand new Feather blade. The result was that I had to shave so carefully and gingerly, that it was very difficult to get a really close shave. Even XTG weepers appeared, and ATG on the third pass was downright scary. The shave was not especially close and produced a lot of irritation.
Which got me thinking; Feather themselves pair their super sharp blades with one of the mildest razors on the market. Perhaps this is because this works well for their home market in Japan, but perhaps mild razors belong with sharp blades and aggressive razors razors belong with milder blades. I'm going to pair that Feather with the RazoRock Baby Smooth and report back.
What has your experience been?

Mild blades don't comfortably shave my face in aggressive razors. I can feel the blade tugging through every bit of hair. I also don't like the Personna Lab Blue blades at all, no matter what razor I've put them in, but YMMV. Mine are the ones in the white packaging, and I've read that the only change from the blue to white wrappers is the packaging, but I know some believe the blade to be different. All I know is, my Personna blades suck.

I use Feathers in a fairly agressive razor, often at a fairly agressive angle. Yeah, I guess I generally feel like the blade is less harsh on the third or fourth shave, and with a new blade I sometimes get some weepers.

But, honestly, everything in life changes from one day to the next. It's hard to tell how much of it one can really attribute to a razor blade.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I have no slant experience as of yet. Glad yours is working out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It's very hard to stay away from and efficient razor! I wanted to see what would happen if I had another shave with that same Personna blade in the Wunderbar.
I got another great, very smooth shave, but I had to work harder to get it. I tossed the blade after that shave (it's seventh use) because it didn't feel great. No tugs, cuts, nicks or weepers, just didn't feel very efficient.
The good new is that even with an average blade in a somewhat worn condition, the Wunderbar produced a fabulous shave. I really like razors that are not blade fussy, and the Wunderbar seem very robust in this way.
At the moment it's easily my most efficient razor, and now I'm going to continue to explore blade pairings with it.
Again tell me what blades you like to use in your Wunderbar! Thanks for the comments guys!

Pairing razors and blades to find a winning combo is always interesting! Personna labs are top-notch for me.

KeenDogg

Thanks! That one has been on my radar!

Kindly,
Adam

Thanks! That one has been on my radar!

Kindly,
Adam

If you get a RazoRock German 37 which by the way I much prefer to my Merkur 37C, please let me know how you find it. I've got many great shaves from that razor.

KeenDogg

If you get a RazoRock German 37 which by the way I much prefer to my Merkur 37C, please let me know how you find it. I've got many great shaves from that razor.
Will do.

I've found that the Wunderbar Slant is very forgiving of different razor blades. I prefer Wilkinsons, but I used some of the blades I don't care for when I got the Wunderbar and they even worked well. I don't really consider the Wunderbar an aggressive razor since it gives such wonderful smooth shaves.

I've found that the Wunderbar Slant is very forgiving of different razor blades. I prefer Wilkinsons, but I used some of the blades I don't care for when I got the Wunderbar and they even worked well. I don't really consider the Wunderbar an aggressive razor since it gives such wonderful smooth shaves.
I'm finding the same thing. I paired my Wunderbar with a blade that I've never used before: A Silver Star made by Lord of Egypt and that combination gave me a wonderfully close, smooth and irritation free shave. The Wunderbar is not blade fussy and is so well engineered that it makes even indifferent blades look good. It's so efficient that I keep finding that I want to use it over other razors in my rotation, and I'm curious now to see if there's a blade it doesn't like. so far my least favorite has been the Feather.

Top Bottom