What's new

RazoRock new scent

You would have to know what a masculine old lady smells like in order to understand, and I don't. If your panties are in a bunch over the name of a product then you need to unplug. You'd think vendors would have to label their products in YE OLDE WORLD ENGLISH in order satisfy some of the stuffy people here. Soap making is an artistic thing!! Notice how the line is called "Artisan Soap"?? Go ahead and tell an artist what to do.. I dare you.. You aren't shopping at Walmart anymore. Artists that are really good at doing something may at times take artistic license.

P

pdillon

Still waiting on mine. I love the scent of a Mud & Clay shampoo bar I have, so when I saw a limited edition RR with a mud scent, I was compelled to make my first online soap order in over 6 months. I've been trying to use up stock.

Scent of a masculine old lady? It makes no sense. How can a smell be both masculine & feminine (I don't think a smell can be either masculine or feminine, but I digress)? The posts lead me to believe this is a complex scent that defies easy explanation.

Is the name inappropriate? No. Shaving soaps are intended for adult men old enough to shave. Is it tasteful? I don't think so, but for me the reference to "Meet the Parents" does more to color my opinion than the reference to a swear word. "Mudda *#BLEEP#!" Wouldn't have bothered me at all.

I remember Joe explaining "XXX" back when IB rolled out the new line. He wanted a name that would signify "generic". The story of the porduct name involved the generic golf balls used as a youth, not a film rating. That I can get, but the MF named soap is bad taste IMHO.

+1

Agreed completely. No worse than the movie, and you hear/see far worse on television at any and all hours of the day.

It's just a name, you can always remove the label and put your own on if it's that distressing to read. Missing out on a great soap because of something so trivial seems absurd to me.

Didn't think the movie mentioned above was particularly in good taste. Nor is the fact that far worse is on television or the Internet a justification to do something less invasive. I think it would be embarrassing to have to explain the humor of the name to an 8 year old boy or girl, for example. And it is not that the name of the soap is overly distressing in and by itself; my panties are not in a knot because someone calls a soap Mudder Focker (my initial reaction was, really, IB is calling a soap that? What are they thinking about?). Nor is it trivial. It's just stupid, both intellectually and culturally. It's one more thing that isn't cute, clever or in good taste in an environment/culture that has an abundance of bad taste . Nor is it clever marketing. Its as culturally sensitive as the 5 year old male rapper doing his thing in front of gyrating adult females while he ejects water from a water gun held at his crotch. That important video was on You Tube the last couple of days. Very culturally inspiring. Admittedly the MF name on soap is a little thing but you get the point. But no one would want you to miss out on a great soap. I wonder if his Holiness Benedict XVI uses it? He shaves. IB should send him a complimentary jar. Wonder if he would think it edgy, amusing or clever marketing. Am I being too snarky? I'm sorry.

P

pdillon

(my initial reaction was, really, IB is calling a soap that? What are they thinking about?).

I think you should follow that initial reaction a little further. What is the RazoRock brand trying to accomplish? I don't think RazoRock is trying to market to 8-year old boys, the pope, or even grandparents for that matter. My guess is RazoRock is trying to make wet shaving a little more hip and accessible. Perhaps roughly equivalent to the Axe demographic.

I think you should follow that initial reaction a little further. What is the RazoRock brand trying to accomplish? I don't think RazoRock is trying to market to 8-year old boys, the pope, or even grandparents for that matter. My guess is RazoRock is trying to make wet shaving a little more hip and accessible. Perhaps roughly equivalent to the Axe demographic.

I think it is clear from the majority of the posts on this forum, RR soaps are a quality product, and thus sell quite well amongst the wet shaving community. The name adds zero to the performance of the soap, in fact, if most are being honest, what is the first question most of us ask when a soap carries a name that like many of the RR products- "OK, but what does it smell like?" Mudder Focker, 888, King Louis, XXX, etc leave potential buyers scratching their collective heads. I would agree Mudder Focker is a name in poor taste, but I admit the name gets my attention, albeit for the wrong reason. I see no reason to try to be "hip" with the marketing- just give potential buyers some much needed information about the product- particularly with a product line that doesn't offer sampling options.

Well, if that's the case, I think they will fail. The Axe demographic doesn't wetshave. Plus I don't understand how having a tasteless name is supposed to be cool. I agree with Zeppelinkarte that the best adjective for it is stupid.

Didn't think the movie mentioned above was particularly in good taste. Nor is the fact that far worse is on television or the Internet a justification to do something less invasive. I think it would be embarrassing to have to explain the humor of the name to an 8 year old boy or girl, for example. And it is not that the name of the soap is overly distressing in and by itself; my panties are not in a knot because someone calls a soap Mudder Focker (my initial reaction was, really, IB is calling a soap that? What are they thinking about?). Nor is it trivial. It's just stupid, both intellectually and culturally. It's one more thing that isn't cute, clever or in good taste in an environment/culture that has an abundance of bad taste . Nor is it clever marketing. Its as culturally sensitive as the 5 year old male rapper doing his thing in front of gyrating adult females while he ejects water from a water gun held at his crotch. That important video was on You Tube the last couple of days. Very culturally inspiring. Admittedly the MF name on soap is a little thing but you get the point. But no one would want you to miss out on a great soap. I wonder if his Holiness Benedict XVI uses it? He shaves. IB should send him a complimentary jar. Wonder if he would think it edgy, amusing or clever marketing. Am I being too snarky? I'm sorry.

Certainly you are entitled to your opinion.

These statements do not jive, however:

Nor is it trivial.
Admittedly the MF name on soap is a little thing

Last edited:
Yep, you guys are right. The name is downright offensive, and the soap smells like an old butch grandma. Nobody buy it.

(as jpipes3 waits for the remaining supply to be discounted before gobbling it all up) :)

I think it is clear from the majority of the posts on this forum, RR soaps are a quality product, and thus sell quite well amongst the wet shaving community. The name adds zero to the performance of the soap, in fact, if most are being honest, what is the first question most of us ask when a soap carries a name that like many of the RR products- "OK, but what does it smell like?" Mudder Focker, 888, King Louis, XXX, etc leave potential buyers scratching their collective heads. I would agree Mudder Focker is a name in poor taste, but I admit the name gets my attention, albeit for the wrong reason. I see no reason to try to be "hip" with the marketing- just give potential buyers some much needed information about the product- particularly with a product line that doesn't offer sampling options.

Shaverjoe like PlumberJoe gives us insight.

P

pdillon

Well, if that's the case, I think they will fail. The Axe demographic doesn't wetshave. Plus I don't understand how having a tasteless name is supposed to be cool. I agree with Zeppelinkarte that the best adjective for it is stupid.

I (unfortunately) used Axe for quite a while until I started wetshaving. But I don't mean to change the subject.

Personally I think it's a good idea for a brand like RazoRock to try to appeal to young men, such as myself. I think that's what RR is trying to do, but I can't be certain. I'm just guessing, and I haven't really heard a better explanation here.

Like I said, I personally don't care for this particular name because it brings an unwanted association with a movie.

These are all your opinions. How about this: If you don't like the name, don't buy the soap. Why would you need to explain the humor to an 8 year old? If you feel they are not old enough to handle the humor, don't explain it to them. You're taking the name of this soap and trying to metaphorically apply it to how society is degrading. The reference to the youtube video is completely irrelevant to the conversation. Why does it matter what shaving cream the pope uses? I think I understand the point you were trying to make but the reasoning is lacking.

P

pdillon

So the reason RR chose the name was trying to create a pun on the thermal mud used in the soap. Anyone else suggest any other/better puns?

I think Hello Muddah would be good:

If RR wants to hire me as a marketing consultant, I can be found here on B&B most days.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are all your opinions. How about this: If you don't like the name, don't buy the soap. Why would you need to explain the humor to an 8 year old? .....
Well, what if he were shaving and his 8-year-old child came into the room and saw the soap container on the counter? Or what if it was a 10-year-old or an 11-year-old who might recognize that the second word bears an uncanny resemblance to a word he/she might've heard at school in the hallway?

Well, what if he were shaving and his 8-year-old child came into the room and saw the soap container on the counter? Or what if it was a 10-year-old or an 11-year-old who might recognize that the second word bears an uncanny resemblance to a word he/she might've heard at school in the hallway?

Replace or cover the sticker if that's a legitimate concern. Or don't buy the soap.

Can we all get back to discussing the aroma and performance of the soap rather than explaining our personal moral compasses ad nauseam?

proxy.php

Maybe it could be re named with something a little more G rated for all the juvinile shavers out there.:blink:

I also think the name is ridiculous. Dumb, trashy, and unnecessary would be an appropriate way to describe it

As far the soap itself? With products like Penhaligon's, Floris, Geo F Trumper, DR Harris, Martin de Cadre, Klar Seifen, I don't need any Mudder Focker

It may be some sort of marketing experiment. Personally, I have better ways to spend my money

I feel that you all are blowing this whole naming thing way out of proportion. Its a shaving soap, if you don't like the name then don't buy it. Joe has built a reputation around here by offering high quality products at a great value and repeatedly bashing one of his new products because you don't like the name seems childish to me. If this product performs on par or better than say MdC but yet for a fraction of the price, you are telling me you would just not buy it because of a sticker on a plastic jar?

IB4TL

Don't like what's on the TV or Radio? Change the channel.
Don't like what a particular vendor chose to name one of his soaps? Don't buy it.

Everyone here knows that Joe frequents these boards. He'll be taking note of the comments here and will either choose to ignore them, or take them into consideration when naming his future releases.

That being said, hindsight is always 20/20. Let's not set out to with pitchforks and torches. Instead, why don't we move on to something relevant like the topic of thread?

It sure would be a shame for our wonderful team of mod's to have to step in and play babysitter to a bunch of grown gentlemen arguing about the name of a soap on the internet, don't we think?

I personally have not had a chance to try the new soap, but the scent descriptions that some of you have offered are very intriguing to say the least. A lot of what you're saying sounds very similar to descriptions of Tabac.

Top Bottom