What's new

Razorock 400 Butterscotch/game changer knot?

So I just got this guy in today and while I've never been too fond of the original Rubberset 400 design let alone metal handles, I decided to give this guy a try because I mostly only have short handle brushes and needed a long handle for my mugs. When I seen this online at Italian barber I noticed the beautiful Butterscotch color and the knot which is identical in appearance to the Amack Game changer knot that happens to be my top pick for synthetics also the Razorock 400 engraved at the bottom of the handle ads a little touch of class and with a price tag of only $17.99 it was definitely worth trying. I have yet to use it but I will for today's SOTD and maybe do a side to side comparison with the actual Amack game changer. I believe Razorock is calling theirs the Noir Plissoft but I'm telling you it looks exactly the same which leads me to believe that it is from the same source but we shall see. Here it is in my hands for size comparison:

Attachments

• $IMG_4179.jpg
    $IMG_4179.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
I received mine today too. Although I do not own any other black knot synthetic, I do have a couple or regular synthetic brushes. In comparison to the others, the RR 400 is stiffer than my WD and my original RR Plissoft. It is still a soft brush on your face, but definitely something with more backbone to it. I want to say it is like a badger, but I am down to just one badger and it isn't even a high grade one. When lathering, it does pick up and hold the soap and whips up a good lather easily. The barber's handle is not as massive as my Omega boar, but is a comfortable size for bowl or face lathering. It held enough lather for me to do three passes. If there are folks out there that think a Pliisoft brush is a little too soft and floppy for them, you need to try this out. Not only that, but a barber's handle and butterscotch color, you really can't go wrong.

Okay guys so I'm reporting my findings regarding this knot and I really loved the brush here's why:

As stated in my OP I did a side by side comparison between the Razorock 400 noir plissoft and my L&L Amack game changer the first thing I did was pick out a soap and for this I felt I needed to go with ARKO I had previously pressed into a mug. First up was the RR 400 I set my timer and began to load it for 20 seconds after that I started to build a lather in a bowl for approximately 1 minute.

Initially it was doing good but found it needed a few drops of water and I decided to be precise and used a dropper, I went ahead and added 5 drops in the center of the brush and then continued to lather up, after doing so it just exploded with suds I brought it to my face and just started scrubbing some more and the lather just kept coming out. The feel I got on my face was soft and scrubby the glue bump (which isn't huge) provided a nice feel of backbone or resistance with great splay but it held its form. There was no scritch, no scratch, no springiness and absolutely no floppiness just felt luxurious and effective.

This brush is no lather hog as it gave back everything it took in (flow through is excellent). Needless to say I followed the exact process for the L&L game changer and it performed EXACTLY the same, I absolutely found no difference between these knots in appearance, density, feel, and performance. The RR 400 is an excellent brush, feels great in the hand, the color is vibrant and I absolutely found no cosmetic flaws. Also the engraved logo at the bottom is a very nice touch as opposed to just being painted on like Razorock's other brushes.

I previously knocked the design of the original Rubberset 400 where the RR 400 got its Inspiration, it just never appealed to me, nor did the fact that it was a metal handle. But the design offers great grip especially for mug lathering and it really does feel great in the hand. That just goes to show the saying "Don't knock it til you try it" proves true.

on a side note: my wife says it looks like a citrus reamer. LOL :lol:

Attachments

• $IMG_4184.jpg
    $IMG_4184.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 298
  • $IMG_4185.jpg
    $IMG_4185.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 290
  • $IMG_4186.jpg
    $IMG_4186.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 280
  • $IMG_4187.jpg
    $IMG_4187.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 275
  • $IMG_4189.jpg
    $IMG_4189.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I got one.

Going to try it tomorrow.

Its a very good handle. Really nicely finished with a solid feel. Hefty.
It is exactly the same dimensions to my eyes as the Rubberset 400.

I have to try the knot. I intended to replace it with a badger knot before I saw it. I'm intrigued though. Going to give it a chance.

Looks aside -- I don't care for pure black knots -- it lathered differently than the standard Plissofts. As I learned after the shave, these things need more water up front and along the way to perform at its best. Being skimpy with the water as per the usual synth procedure leads to a feeling of too much backbone and tips that aren't the softest. Again, all this in comparison to the regular Plissoft. So I'll water-up for the next shave and see if that softens the experience.

That's a good looking handle. May have to get one. If I don't like the knot I'll switch it out. 57mm loft is a little tall for me. Glad you like it Marty.

The knot was nice. It's missing something. It still feels artificial to me. The backbone is good. The tips are soft enough with a little bit of face feel. Closer to a Finest knot or two band badger brush than a silvertip feel to me.

The strands are too springy. They don't splay well without a lot of pressure. They want to stand at attention in the position they are set. There's no resistance per se if I pressed hard enough. Not pokey or scratchy. Just really springy and quick to return to their original position during the shave.

I face lathered with it and the performance is very nice despite the unique behaviors. It's got excellent flow through and superb water and lather retention. I loaded it up with Wickham Soap Co 1912 Irish Fern. It was hesitant to get some protolather initially which resulted in me loading longer than I am accustomed to. Once on the face it was evident that I had plenty of product and developing a good consistency was quick and easy. Felt very comfortable. The brush took a little more water but needed it likely due to the amount of soap I loaded. Three passes and probably two plus more were available after I finished. It rinsed easily and cleanly. Zero bloom and looked like it was never used when shaken out of all but the slightest of dampness.

I'm going to try it out the rest of this week and see if it settles in with a few more uses like natural knots do but I don't expect it to really change from the first use.

All in all it was surprising to me. The first synthetic brush I tried I did not like. It was floppy and acted weird with the way it held and released water. This knot is a big improvement and a step towards feeling more like a badger brush. It's not the same. The loft wasn't an issue as the knot does have a noticeable glue bump. I think it contributes to the feel of backbone and spring. It's ugly though. I don't think I would have gone with the black color fibers given a choice. I wasn't though. It's a different experience for me but not one I hated.

The handle was what I ordered mine for but the knot is not bad at all. It's not what I'm used to, but I am willing to give it a try for a while longer and be open minded about new things.

How stable is this when sitting upright on it's handle with a knot full of lather?
Not that I really need another brush, but it has my interest!
Thanks!

Great review as usual Marty... The last thing I need is another brush, but its...butterscotch... Thats almost a must have!!

I don't know how RazoRock can make such nice brushes at such a low price. Just great. That is a nice looking brush. I't tempting me.

How stable is this when sitting upright on it's handle with a knot full of lather?
Not that I really need another brush, but it has my interest!
Thanks!
I honestly had no issue keeping it standing with a full head of lather. That was actually one concern that crosses my mind prior to ordering but the brush is very well balance throughout. I found it quite nice.

I don't know how RazoRock can make such nice brushes at such a low price. Just great. That is a nice looking brush. I't tempting me.
I've honestly thought the same question and I have a feeling we are not alone, but I'm grateful for their amazing prices. Almost nobody (if any) beats their quality and value.

Great review as usual Marty... The last thing I need is another brush, but its...butterscotch... Thats almost a must have!!
Thank you for checking it out I really appreciate it:001_smile. I honestly didn't need another brush either but it was so enticing. LOL

Top Bottom