What's new

Razor skipping

So today I completed my 5th straight razor shave, happily I have not drawn a single speck of blood. However I notice there are some areas coming up under my jaw where the razor wants to skip a little and I'm worried this is where I'm going to get cut. What's the cause of this, need more pressure, sharper blade, quicker strokes, different angle??

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Usually when I hit those type areas it's where my whiskers change direction. I don't get the skipping but I definitely feel a change in the resistance of the blade.

So today I completed my 5th straight razor shave, happily I have not drawn a single speck of blood. However I notice there are some areas coming up under my jaw where the razor wants to skip a little and I'm worried this is where I'm going to get cut. What's the cause of this, need more pressure, sharper blade, quicker strokes, different angle??

Five shaves in without drawing blood, that's impressive. One solution might be different stretching. While my face is fairly gaunt as a rule, I notice that sometimes there is a kind of fold of flesh under my jawline that sometimes gets skipped in making the pass there. It may coincide with where a gland is located, for extra protection there, I'm not sure. Other reasons for skipping I've noticed have been a dull edge and the use of an overly viscous pre-shave oil. But I'm guessing it boils down to skin-stretching.

I would say different angle or change how you are stretching. As Larry mentioned, more pressure is never a good idea. If you are getting good results elsewhere on your face, then I don't think the sharpness is a big issue.

The other thing that you may want to try is re-lathering that section of your face. It could just be that your lather is drying up a little on your face by the time you get there. That could cause some skipping. I lather my face in 3 sections when doing my across the grain pass, because it sometimes takes me a little longer to get it done than my with the grain pass.

I think what happened here is I'm catching some of the longer hairs in my goatee that haven't been lathered. The last few times I made sure to pay special attention to those areas with the lather and it looks like problem solved after changing the angle a bit. Thanks guys!

Stretch the skin a bit more and add a little more water to your lather, fir me I have excellent luck with a slightly more loose lather, you want the lather to easily rinse off the edge with minimal effort.

Top Bottom