What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux - the Razor not the Blade

The R41(Rosegold) is on the way too from tvbshaving. If the next shave with a better new blade in the Rapira isn't efficient enough, I don't have any high hopes on the R41 too :(

I just received my Rapira with Platinum Lux blades. The head looked properly aligned but the neck of the handle was uneven prompting me to install a better generic handle on it. I will give it a try when my stubble returns.

$rap-1.JPG$rap-2.JPG

Just tried it out today with the replacement handle and I'll tell ya it is sweet. Using the Rapira Platinum Lux blades. I'm sure a combination of developed preparation skill and skin conditioning has helped but it was not as aggressive as expected for ATG and XTG passes. I'll be staying with the Parker 94R and Rapira for a while. :thumbup1:

So I did a direct comparison between the Rapira PL and the 2011 R41:
IMG_7021.JPG

And the Rapira PL really held up well in the contest - it's a little bit smoother than the 2011, just as manouverable and almost as close.
It's definitely in the FaTip and 2013 R41 territory and it's also a smooth and comfortable shave.

The only downside to the Rapira is that it looks so cheap, but an aftermarket handle helps.
Here we have a razor that has the best geometry and is also cheap and easily available - that's gold!
IMG_7022.JPG

After swapping the original handle (garden rake 100mm length [12.1 grams]) for a Yuma handle (perfect 70mm length [15.5 grams]) courtesy of Marcus @mjclark, I've just had my first RPL shave in seven months:
upload_2017-4-11_1-54-57.png

For me, the Rapira Platinum Lux head on the Yuma handle is PERFECT. After seven months I'd forgotten what a great shaver this is. And now, with the Yuma handle, there's no way that the next shave is going to be seven months distant.

What a super shave, and BBS of course. Thank you Marcus! :thumbup:

swapping the original handle (garden rake 100mm length [12.1 grams]) for a Yuma handle
Brilliant! You've inspired me to do something similar. I swapped my Rapira handle with a Barbasol non-floating head clone handle and will probably shave with it tomorrow.

The handle is poorly finished pot metal, but hollow and has the perfect length, thickness and weight. It was originally tapped for 10-32 threads, but it fit too snug, so I ran an M5x0.8 tap through it and now it fits perfectly.

proxy.php

After swapping the original handle (garden rake 100mm length [12.1 grams]) for a Yuma handle (perfect 70mm length [15.5 grams]) courtesy of Marcus @mjclark, I've just had my first RPL shave in seven months:
View attachment 781649

For me, the Rapira Platinum Lux head on the Yuma handle is PERFECT. After seven months I'd forgotten what a great shaver this is. And now, with the Yuma handle, there's no way that the next shave is going to be seven months distant.

What a super shave, and BBS of course. Thank you Marcus! :thumbup:
Can't get the Yuma anymore. No go from Turkey it seemsThe handle is almost identical in design to my Lutz slant, whose head I hate, by the way. So a good use for the handle! I think Merkur have a similar handle. I got my Rapira FREE when I ordered some Rapira blades. And the only reason I' saying that is to make you jealous. It's amazing how small-minded and petty DE shaving has made me. Well that's my excuse! I love finding a bargain that works!

Was comparing my Rapira razors today and found the plastic handle base plate is slightly different from the metal handle base plate. The top caps seem to be exactly the same though. I always thought the metal handle version felt just slightly more aggressive than the plastic handle version maybe this could be why.

Also the metal handle version has a shiny chrome finish where as the plastic handle has a more dull looking finish.
IMAG2807.jpg

IMAG2806.jpg

I agree the Rapira PL deserves a good handle.

Took delivery of the new metal handled version this morning - I wonder if someone at Rapira is reading this thread because it's billed as "Same aggressive shave" [emoji3]
proxy.php

This new handle is very long but still feels a bit unsubstantial and it bumps the weight up to 60g
proxy.php

To be honest for me the Rapira PL is best with a nice heavy handle - ha ha now I've got 3!
What a razor!!
Thats the Lord L6 handle - love it...

I also ordered the Rapira Platinum Lux double edge safety razor, and the YingJili double edge safety razor through eBay. They are the identical razor (with different names ("Rapira" / "YingJili") on the caps). I only paid $1.73 for the YingJili razor, which had 1 YingJili razor blade included. . . I paid $7.75 for the Rapira Platinum Lux (plastic handle) razor, which had 5 Rapira Platinum Lux razor blades included. . . Both razors were shipped to my home for free & no tax was charged. Both are (the same) excellent shaving razor!!!
oh boy i hope they are not the same cause i have just orderd the Rapira Platinum Lux and i already had the yingjilli head which i did not find agressive

All this RPL talk encouraged me to have an RPL shave:
upload_2017-6-9_1-11-47.png

Excellent! :biggrin1: I always get BBS these days, but the RPL, iKon Tech, and Devette always give me the BEST BBS.

I'm playing around with handles at the moment and put my MR11 on it. Far too heavy for me, it kinda feels like wielding a sledge hammer where the handle is heavier than the head.:stuart: Next shave I'll give the Phoenix 7075 Aluminus handle a trial.

Thank you for (unwittingly no doubt) getting me to change my razor @MicBP. :thumbup1:

And today's shave with the Phoenix 7075 Aluminus attached to the magnificent (but ugly) RPL head was simply the best:
upload_2017-6-10_0-22-15.png

This handle passes the test with full marks from me (I didn't notice it while shaving). :thumbup1:

Going back to the sledge hammer analogy; while you're wielding it your complete attention is on the head and you don't consider the handle (if accuracy is your aim), unless there's something wrong with it. But then that's just me. I know Marcus likes heavy handles so as usual it's a YMMV thing.
But we do agree on STEEP ANGLE! :punk:

Just for @MicBP I took another profile shot:
upload_2017-6-10_0-33-27.png

I didn't manage to get it quite square on, but you get the idea. :wink2:

This handle passes the test with full marks from me (I didn't notice it while shaving)
I'm in the same category. The perfect handle is light enough to not make the razor tail heavy, and has nice grippy positive knurling.

You call a heavy handle a sledge hammer - I call it shaving while holding an ingot.

You call a heavy handle a sledge hammer - I call it shaving while holding an ingot.
:letterk1: I must be pretty dreadful at expressing my thoughts. I mean the opposite.

I'm saying there are big similarities in wielding a razor and a sledge hammer (when the razor has a light handle). One can operate both efficiently and accurately because they are head heavy. When they become handle heavy that's another ball game, like your ingot (or I'd say a Mike Mentzer size dumbell).

Well, that's probably made the whole thing even more unclear for everyone.
proxy.php

Another mini experiment today... I fitted a Gillette Tech cap and handle to the RPL baseplate:
upload_2017-6-11_2-16-52.png

It was a nice shave, but definitely not as exciting as with the full RPL head (i.e. cap and baseplate).

You can tell by the way the Tech cap curves the blade that it ain't gonna be so much fun:
upload_2017-6-11_2-20-50.png

But I'm glad I did it. The Tech parts are from my Devette. I'll use the RPL cap for my next Devette shave.*

* Steep RULES! :devil:

Top Bottom