What's new

RAD and To Replate or Not To Replate?

OK, I am a newbie and apparently have contracted our RAD faster than anyone in shaving history! Two shaves in and I am looking for a 1966 Slim and a 1966 Super Speed to be the "gems" of my collection. (If you can relate to this or beat it, feel free to leave a personal confession in order to make me feel better about myself.)
Anyway, I know this is probably a personal opinion kind of thing, but am I better off taking the time and effort to find these in a really nice original condition, or is replating more readily available ones the way to go? All opinions welcome.

Unless the razor has sentimental value or is a high valued collectable, a replate isn't a good return on investment. Often one can get a common razor in excellent condition for less than the replate cost.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unless the razor has sentimental value or is a high valued collectable, a replate isn't a good return on investment. Often one can get a common razor in excellent condition for less than the replate cost.

I agree on both points, especially for a Slim or SS. Having said that, I know some gentleman will choose to replate because they want their razors to have that "like new" mirror finish and they plan to keep and use them for their lifetime. For some it is not a financial decision.

I have had one razor replated ('61 Fatboy)at RazorPlate, but only because I learned a hard lesson from an eBay purchase and the replate was a birthday gift from my children. I would not have done that for a Slim or a SS, but that is just me being cheap...or frugal.

Sure, replating costs more than the razor is worth, that's usually the case. But if you've found THE perfect vintage razor, nothing else will be the same as freshly replated and restored. I'd say grab whatever SSs and slims and whatever else you can find if it's in whole and usable shape and the price is reasonable (should be reasonably cheap). If one of them turns out to be amazing and your favorite razor ever, then I must say you will not regret getting it replated.

I try to get decent usable razors that clean up and take a good polish. I might do a replate, but it would have to be a very special to me razor.

You'll eventually find a 66 that doesn't need replating.

I replated a 59 Fatboy but only because I wanted one in perfect condition to keep forever. You may never recover the cost.

Any hints on finding that razor in fantastic condition? Pictures on the Internet just don't seem to give enough information to know condition!

Lucky luck!

I bought razors on eBay that looked ugly in the pictures and weren't described correctly. But after I cleaned and polished them they were actually in excellent condition. The sellers just had no idea.

But I bought a lot of crap too. It's all part of the hobby.

Any hints on finding that razor in fantastic condition? Pictures on the Internet just don't seem to give enough information to know condition!
I find the B&B market place (BST) to be a great start. I purchased a razor from a member via the market place and received a razor just as described. Most people here want folks to enjoy shaving and have honest transactions that are a win for both seller and buyer.

I'd say it's all in preference...
For me, I started collecting late last year and I haven't replated anything, yet. Once I settle down on which ones I'd like to keep I'll eventually replate them all in rhodium. Until then I cleaned them up as best as I could, and for anything that I couldn't fix on my own I sent out to be professionally repaired.

OK, I am a newbie and apparently have contracted our RAD faster than anyone in shaving history! Two shaves in and I am looking for a 1966 Slim and a 1966 Super Speed to be the "gems" of my collection. (If you can relate to this or beat it, feel free to leave a personal confession in order to make me feel better about myself.)
Anyway, I know this is probably a personal opinion kind of thing, but am I better off taking the time and effort to find these in a really nice original condition, or is replating more readily available ones the way to go? All opinions welcome.

You can find plenty that aere in excellent shape. Do you want pristine out of the box or are you willing/interested in doing some clean-up?

I ejouy buying one that is cruddy as heck and bringing to back to life, but YMMV.

I find that the search for a great razor to be part of the life. I have a few that are in excellent condition and the feeling of buying it that way is worth the time and effort. Going from stand to stand or antique shop to thrift shop and even on a few of the bidding sites waiting to find find a great razor is as much a part of it as using said razor. Although taking a razor and bringing it back to life via a replate or a complete restoration is exciting. I just find the funds could be better spent on more razors. One can never have too many.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I like leaving them be, with their history still written all over them. So, I don't replate even though I have a metal shop with the capability to do it myself....

Stan

@KQY61 (ham radio call sign?) I understand where you're coming from, but I believe that if I came up with one or two razors I wanted to keep using (use razors), then plating them makes perfect sense. Constantly polishing and cleaning to try to keep patina or verdigris from forming isn't a good use of my time, and in some ways, it seems like a sacrilege to use one of the few pristine examples of razors out there being worn out - when there are so many worn ones that can be used for that purpose. (That said, if all you have is a shiny one gifted to you from an older relative, then it's FOR using)

I need to check with the chrome shops around here to see if any do nickel, or if my jeweler customer does nickel or chrome.

Third DE Shave completed, and three vintage razors coming my way. That's catching RAD quickly. Combine that with Blades I won from the PIF, and the cream samples from TOBS and Stone Cottage (is this CAD?), and I should be busy for a while. Guess I'll See what razor/s hit me and then decide on whether to keep it vintage or not. Thanks for all the feedback!

Top Bottom