What's new

Question on boar brushes and face-lathering.

A new boar brush takes time to break in before it really comes into its own. Do test lathers or just bite the bullet and use it everyday, as the bristles break in the lathers will get better.

Do you think once it breaks in I will be able to get more lather from it?

I had been soaking my boars while in the shower but wasn't pleased with their performance. Too soft, no backbone and lather fizzled out after the first pass.

Now I just wet the brush, shake and squeeze it immediately and load. And I only add extra water (if needed) while loading the brush. Once I put brush to face I try not to add any additional water. Also I keep loading the soap a little bit longer than my intuition tells me should be enough.

Doing the above has helped me love my boars much more than I did before.

I have an old blond boar that works great for face lathering. To me the keys are:
#1. More product, and
#2. More water!

Reactions: vsp

Yes. Boars are great for face lathering with a soapstick or anything else. Your brush needs a little time and use to break in... Soak it for a while before lathering. I think we've both been spoiled by our synthetics, but a broken-in boar knot is a pleasure to use for sure..

I tried it last night and I loaded my face with the shave stick with as much soap as possible I believe. Then I take a soaking wet brush and give it just one good snap of the wrist. Maybe I should try leaving more water in the brush.
Even with my synthetic brushes I had a hard time until I used a wetter brush to start with. I'll try more water in the brush.

. . . I had a hard time until I used a wetter brush to start with. I'll try more water in the brush.
I don't use sticks, but I get some of my best lathers from ignoring my instincts and leaving "too much" water in the brush, then loading for "too long." If I get it just right it only needs a few drops of water when lathering up. Though I suppose excess water in the brush is a bit more of a problem for sticks than for pucks.

Absolutely yes. I find any new boar is a bit weak sauce for the first month or so, but after they break in they are fantastic.

It is the drying process that seems to help the hairs split so I'd recommend alternating brushes each day to make sure the boar has time to fully dry out after each use.

Good luck!

Tonight I tried plenty of soap and a very wet brush. I got better results but still not enough if I wanted a 3 pass shave. I usually only do 2 passes and touch ups so I could use this brush. I just hope after it breaks in more it gets better.

The only time I boar+shave stick shave is when travelling. I use a La Toja stick and an Omega 11047.

The first few times I noticed the same thing--not enough lather for more than one pass. The reason was not enough soap on my face and on the brush. This was usually when there wasn't much beard growth and therefore not enough texture to grab the soap. So I started incorporating the handjob technique to get more soap on the brush. Or I just go back to the stick after the second pass if needed.

I find that I don't get quite as much lather per unit of soap with a boar as I do for other brushes for some strange reason. I typically scoop soap and smear into my bowl so the amount of soap is fairly consistent, but when using a boar, I have to use more soap for my 3 pass shave.

I find that I don't get quite as much lather per unit of soap with a boar as I do for other brushes for some strange reason.

This is my problem also. Yet many guys manage to get plenty of lather using a boar brush. Enough lather for more than 3 passes without added more soap during the shave.

This is my problem also. Yet many guys manage to get plenty of lather using a boar brush. Enough lather for more than 3 passes without added more soap during the shave.
I don't have to add/load soap during the shave, I just start with more than with my other brushes.
It might not be as easy when using a stick, but adding more to my lather bowl is pretty easy.
Good luck!

A new boar brush takes time to break in before it really comes into its own. Do test lathers or just bite the bullet and use it everyday, as the bristles break in the lathers will get better.
+1

I have no issues with my Semogue and Omega boar brushes when using a shave stick. It will take time to break in the boars.

Is the boar much different in size from the synthetic? My synthetic is much bigger then either my boar or horse and would seem to carry much more lather forward for the 2nd and 3rd passes.

dave

Which brush are you using?

Right now I am using an Omega B&B 10th Anniversary brush.

B&B brush.JPG

Your brush doesn't look broken in.
Roughly how many lather and dry cycles does it have on it?

For my semogue, it needed 20-30 cycles before it would make 2 passes worth of lather, and 75-100 before it would make 3 passes.

While it was breaking in, I had to load 2-3 times more soap, or reload between passes - or both during the early days.

Ps: during break-in, the brush starts to feel soft way before it starts to make 3 passes of lather with just 1 loading.

Your brush doesn't look broken in.
Roughly how many lather and dry cycles does it have on it?

For my semogue, it needed 20-30 cycles before it would make 2 passes worth of lather, and 75-100 before it would make 3 passes.

While it was breaking in, I had to load 2-3 times more soap, or reload between passes - or both during the early days.

Ps: during break-in, the brush starts to feel soft way before it starts to make 3 passes of lather with just 1 loading.

This could be the problem. I've only used it about 8 times. I know it's not broken in yet. I can get 2 passes, just barely. I guess I have to be patient. Thanks for the detailed reply.

8 times? You have some work to do. If I'm going to start a new brush I work it (palm lather) every time I shave for about 2-3 weeks before pulling it into my rotation.

Work yours side-by-side with whatever you're currently using. Work it like you hate it. You'll start to feel it soften up after a couple of weeks and depending on your preference and patience you can start putting it to your face once it's to your liking. Otherwise you'll just have to tough it out until it matures.

Boars take a little work, but once they mature there's nothing like 'em. IMO, they're definitely worth the effort.

-Kesto

Top Bottom