What's new

Proraso Sandalwood & Shea butter: first lather, review & pics

i try this cream 2 times...and i'm not very happy for the purchase...the smell when you shaving is very strong and persistent...50% of me love it and 50% of me hate it(because the smell makes me sick)...but the skin after the shaving is very hydrated, but during the shaving the skin isn't elastic as happen with the old version(this is due to the presence of silicones of the old version)

I haven't ran across this yet, but I'm anxious to give it a try. Maybe some will come up in the PIF thread, and I'll get lucky.

Personally, I hated the smell and couldn't get it off. I shaved with it before work, and 14 hours later took a very long shower scrubbing my face to get the smell off (I didn't have time to re-shower after I shaved, and I was uncomfortable all day thanks to the cloud of scent that clung to me like an angry cat after a bath). I actually PIF'd it after that one use, and if this is true sandalwood then I am gravely mistaken in my sense of smell over the years. I am not sure, then, if the fans and stuff I have smelled were treated or what, but this was so far removed from sandalwood to me that I really am now afraid to try a few others. :( However, it was closer than the purchase at the same time of RR Michelino, which was almost painful smelling.

But, I do like the review, and I like the pictures. If the scent worked for me, I would probably buy it again after this, especially since you took a long time as well to get that lather. Nice shots. :) So, bravo on making me have second thoughts on a product I know I don't like.

***Update from OP***

6 weeks later and I can honestly say I am hurriedly running my stocks of the old formula Proraso down to get onto the new forms. I am interspersing my shaves with the new form and have found the following:

1. it is a THIRSTY lather - my original review was my FIRST ever lather of it and rather than a "Hollywood" style lather review with everything loaded in the reviewers favour I wanted a genuine experiment captured. I have since "dialed" in the cream and got times down and output up.

2. the scent is a perfect winter one and when layered over the "white" new formula pre-shave is a very slick combination

3. my no-name bristle tends to give me a better performing lather than my silvertip.

Hope this adds some value; your kilometres may vary.

I got to say, i purchased this based on reviews and like it. I bought the new pre shave both white and green jar along with the sandalwood red tube. The red tueb and the white preshave are a great combination albeit a very light sandalwood scent (I think I was hoping for the strength of the menthol/eucalyptous of the green tube stuff). It is a keeper for the rotation for sure!

You mean to say that, unlike almost every other sandalwood product available, it actually smells like the real thing. Not high-end crystalline Mysore oil mind you, but it's the real thing and exhibits similar characteristics. The fact that Proraso was able to swing this is amazing IMO.

It doesn't have a discernible cologne-inspired sandalwood scent, you're right. So, cologne-inspired sandalwood fans should avoid it. Sandalwood oil fans will love it.

I totally agree. I like the smell of sandalwood oil, but the cologne business is is a bit much for me. I love this cream and the way the sandalwood fragrance stays lightly on my face throught most of the day.

in this days in italy Proraso has commercialized the proraso red in bowl.....a very good notice for me (and who as me) love F.L. in bowl

I just tried this cream out today and posted this reply in another thread:

I just received a tube of this in the mail this morning. I used to be a huge fan of the original Proraso/C.O. Bigelow cream when I first started using a DE, but found that it ended up drying out my skin, and went through a phase where I tried a LOT of different creams and soaps and have since sold them all off except for two...Geo. F. Trumper's Coconut Shaving Cream and Queen Charlotte Mysore Sandlewood Cream. As far as protection and performance, my gold standard is the QCS Mysore Sandlewood. Love the scent, and it always yields great shaves with no irritation, even after multiple passes, lots of blade buffing, etc. So since becoming a sandalwood fan, I decided to give the new Proraso a go.

I have not shaved with it yet, but did whip up a test lather just now and applied it to my face. It really does whip up very rich, and pretty slick and very creamy, and felt great on the face. With the original Proraso, it really would dry my face out, but this new formula/scent does not seem to do that. Also, the scent seems to hang around and last for quite a while. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Others have commented that this is a true sandalwood scent. By no means am I a sandalwood expert, because my only experience is with the QCS Mysore sandalwood, which is apparently real Mysore sandalwood essential oil, and is all that is used to scent that cream with no synthetic scent added. I know there are different types of sandalwood essential oil, and Mysore is just one of them. When comparing the two creams as far as scent they are worlds apart and do not smell alike in any way. To me the QCS Mysore sandalwood is a very mild, almost milky and somewhat sweeter scent, while the Proraso sandalwood scent is a little musky and a touch earthy, and is stronger than the QCS, but in my opinion the Proraso just seems a bit cologne-ish. If the QCS is what REAL Mysore smells like, the Proraso seems a bit artificial to me, or not as natural, if you will. This isn't to say it smells bad at all, because the scent is pleasing, I just am not sure if I like the fact that it does linger around for so long afterward or not. This is why I have not been a fan of other Italian creams like RazoRock (gasp! did I just say that!), in particular the XXX. The scent was incredibly overpowering and afterward felt like I just doused myself with some cheap cologne and for some reason had the urge to put on a pair of aviator sunglasses and a member's only jacket and cruise around for chicks in a 1987 Corvette and sport a lot of gold and chest hair. Not my style at all.

Keep in mind I am only 36 years young, but I when I first smelled the Proraso sandalwood, I immediately thought of the thread I viewed earlier this morning with the pics of Frank Sinatra shaving, because this scent, for whatever reason made me think of that era. It's a classy, very old-school, traditional scent. I swear it also made me think of when I was a little kid and going to Philly to see my grandfather and he would smell like back in the late 70's early 80's. Classy, tough old guy scent. I dig the scent, but time will tell if it suits me or not.

I'm sure this was probably one of the more obscure reviews of this product, but as always, you won't know if it works for you until you try it, because, as we all know, YMMV!

Update: FWIW, it's been hours since my test lather and I can STILL smell this creams scent. It's hanging around just a little too long and is a bit too strong for my taste so far.

SO I just shaved with it for the first time tonight. My initial impressions are just 'meh'. It whips up a great lather very easily though, and leaves my face feeling very smooth afterward, and is very slick, however it just doesn't offer the same protection that my other go to creams offer. I was left with some mild neck irritation and some irritation just under my bottom lip, two areas I never have problems with when I use my go to creams. It's not a bad cream, but there's definitely better (IMO). Also, the scent bothers me a bit. Once it was on my face for a while it smelled like chemicals, like some sort of solvent or something. Since I already have my two favorites (QCS Mysore Sandlewood and Geo F. Trumpers Coconut) and a big 'ole order from QCS and Mike's Natural Soaps on the way, I am guessing this one is going to get passed on...

Last edited:
1. Wonderfull fat and creamy lather.
2. Awesome pure sandalwood scent.
3. Perfect skin protection while shaving.
4. Very good skin care post shaving.
5. I love it.

Regards,

Alexander.

Last edited:
Just tried this for the first time. The scent lingers after the shave so you better like the scent. Makes beautiful, dense lather. Very very thirsty cream. I kind of prefer it to the old proraso as far as the lather goes. Skin feels ok. I used my ocmm with a fresh gem ss (which isn't exactly a mellow blade on the first shave) and I didn't bleed all over the place. It is also good about not drying out. I say for the $10.50 or whatever it is, buy a tube. BTW, took a whiff of the new green soap bowl and it looks/smells like great stuff.

Let me begin by saying I love the stuff. As with any of the Proraso made shave creams the lather is thick and slick. However, I find the consistency of the cream in the tube rather thin, almost watery. I do not have to squeeze the tube at all, the cream flows out of the tube with little effort. Anyone else have this experience? Is it due to the change in the formula?

Mike

Ok, I'll jump in on this one! :biggrin1:

The new Proraso Red Sandalwood has definitely earned a final spot in my top 5 rotation. This particular cream should be considered UNIQUE amongst so many other version of Sandalwood. Let's consider the following:

1. Proraso (new and old) have a great price/performance ratio. A lot of cream for the money and performance is definitely up there. Proraso continues to be a solid performing product.
2. The scent is FINALLY different than the typical overly-sweet overly-saturated Sandalwood smell. I describe it simply as a man's/masculine version of Sandalwood. So many Sandalwood products, including the higher priced ones, end up making you smell too sweet and almost feminine. This version is definitely a true woodsy and earthy Sandalwood scent.
3. Adding Shea Butter as a moisturizer was a fantastic idea and this is the only Proraso product with it. Shea butter provides a smooth, non-oily moisturizer that leaves such a great finish after the rinse that aftershave becomes optional. I personally feel that Shea butter also creates a bit of 'rolling lubrication' in the mix as it naturally hardens slightly at cooler temperatures, so the blade 'rolls' easier when the soap on your face begins to cool.

I'm a fan, but I must admit I had that original shocking reaction to the scent, but it has grown on me. Be a man and use a proper scent and save the traditional Sandalwood for the ladies. :thumbup:

Have you tried the Queen Charlotte Mysore Sandlewood? Essential Mysore Sandalwood oil is all that is used to scent this cream, and does not smell artificial, sweet or feminine in any way. It has a mild, and very clean scent to me. I actually think the Proaso Sandalwood smells very artificial and synthetic.

Let me begin by saying I love the stuff. As with any of the Proraso made shave creams the lather is thick and slick. However, I find the consistency of the cream in the tube rather thin, almost watery. I do not have to squeeze the tube at all, the cream flows out of the tube with little effort. Anyone else have this experience? Is it due to the change in the formula?

Mike

No, I have 2 red tubes and 2 green tubes - I've opened 1 red and 1 green and their texture are pretty similar - pretty hard to press out of the tube, but once it's out in your hand, the warmth from my hand quickly makes the cream softer - but not runny at all.
I had 2 tubes of Penhaligons, that was runny just like your Proraso - my third Opus 1870 was normal. Think it's a case of either the product has been exposed to heat or variations in the fabrication processes........

Have you tried the Queen Charlotte Mysore Sandlewood? Essential Mysore Sandalwood oil is all that is used to scent this cream, and does not smell artificial, sweet or feminine in any way. It has a mild, and very clean scent to me. I actually think the Proaso Sandalwood smells very artificial and synthetic.

Not yet. Too many soaps already!:blink:

I used it for the first time today. The scent is so-so for me, but the shave was great.

The scent of Proraso red cream has really grown on me. I definitely like it better than the scent of AOS sandalwood cream. It's a really great product.

Top Bottom