What's new

Proraso Pre & Post shave cream

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Proraso Pre & Post shave cream has been around for almost 60 years and it's still made in the time-honored traditional way by the Ludovico Martelli company.
This multi-purpose product can be used as a pre-shave treatment, as a post shave cream and also as a remedy for irritated skin.
To be honest, I like to use it as a pre-shave cream only.
When used as a "prep" before lathering, Proraso cream really softens and prepares the beard, protects the skin and allows the razor to glide smoothly for a MUCH better shave.
You simply have to apply a generous amount of cream to your wet face and rub in before lathering.
This marvellous and unique product works VERY well.
Truly.
It's so good and effective that, here in Italy, it has been described as the "pre-barba miracolo", the pre-shave miracle.
I've started using it almost fifteen years ago and use it every day, always, for every single shave, regardless of which shaving cream or soap I use that day.
I have also tested many other pre-shave creams, oils and balms, from all over the World, from different brands and at much higher prices, but nothing compares to the superior quality of Proraso Pre & Post shave cream.
I'm currently using both versions: the Original green and the Sensitive white glass bowls.
I like to use the Original green with Proraso, SMN and all my Lime scented creams, to increase the cooling sensation I feel on my face.
The Sensitive white, equally good, is used for all the other creams I keep in my rotation.
If you have never used this amazing product, just give it a try.
You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good stuff Marco!

I've never seen the sensitive version. Does it have menthol? Is it closer to the Proraso white soap (sensitive)?

I really dislike the fact that here in Athens the only available PRORASO product is the soap.

I would really like to try all the proraso line, especially during the summer time where the temperatures rise up to 40 celsius!

It is a shame to have ITALY near us and not take advantage of the Proraso line!!!

Can any businessman hear me out there?

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Good stuff Marco!

I've never seen the sensitive version. Does it have menthol? Is it closer to the Proraso white soap (sensitive)?

The Sensitive white glass bowl has been developed for the most sensitive skins and for those who do not like the cooling sensation given from the Eucalyptus Oil / Menthol mix.
Its scent is close to the Proraso white soap, but not exactly the same.

P.S.
You should better say "Consigliere of Proraso", not "Consiglieri of Proraso" beside your avatar pic.

I've got the 100ml container of the green label Proraso Pre & Post shave cream. When I use my Proraso splash I'll put a little bit on (i.e. less than the size of half a pea) afterwards as a post shave cream.

Would a 100ml container last me a few months if I used it every day like that?

Thanks.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I've got the 100ml container of the green label Proraso Pre & Post shave cream. When I use my Proraso splash I'll put a little bit on (i.e. less than the size of half a pea) afterwards as a post shave cream.

Would a 100ml container last me a few months if I used it every day like that?

Thanks.

This is the first time I hear about combining Proraso splash with the cream as an aftershave treatment, but if it works for you, that's fine.
And yes, using a so modest quantity per day, it should last a long time.

This is the first time I hear about combining Proraso splash with the cream as an aftershave treatment, but if it works for you, that's fine.
And yes, using a so modest quantity per day, it should last a long time.

Do people normally use the cream on it's own for everyday use as an aftershave treatment?

Last edited:
I really enjoy your write ups Marco. This one and you SMN post are very informative. They would be great to have in the reviews section as well.

The Proraso White is one of my favorite soaps, Proraso Red was my absolute favorite Proraso product. But I do love the combination of Sensitive Proraso pre-post cream and soap. It is perfect on a warm day.

Last edited:
When it's a hot day I use choose to shave using Proraso.
I apply the P&P shave cream srtraight out of the shower, the smell really perks me up. And after the shave, I aplly some more to my face, wait all of a minute, and then apply Proraso shave lotion.

All in all, a fantastic combo and my skin feels fantastic and moisturised.

Great write up Marco, but I too have never seen the Sensitive white version, but I really enjoy the regular version.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Do people normally use the cream on it's own for everyday use as an aftershave treatment?

Yes, according to professional barber's use, you should apply the cream alone as an aftershave treatment, if you like it to be used that way.
I frankly do not use Proraso cream as a post shave, since I prefer aftershave splashes, or balms in combination with an Alum Block.

Yes, according to professional barber's use, you should apply the cream alone as an aftershave treatment, if you like it to be used that way.
I frankly do not use Proraso cream as a post shave, since I prefer aftershave splashes, or balms in combination with an Alum Block.

Does Proraso provide a simple set of instructions for it's products so everybody can follow the basic guidelines for professional barber's use?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I really enjoy your write ups Marco. This one and you SMN post are very informative. They would be great to have in the reviews section as well.

The Proraso White is one of my favorite soaps, Proraso Red was my absolute favorite Proraso product. But I do love the combination of Sensitive Proraso pre-post cream and soap. It is perfect on a warm day.

Thank you very much Chris,

I try to do my best every time and I try to write down all the things I've learned through experience and through the lessons of an old Italian Master Barber, who first introduced me to the art of wet shaving.

Both posts ("Crema da Barba Santa Maria Novella" and "Proraso Pre & Post shave cream") are in the review section as well.

Proraso Red, a SUPERB shaving cream, is, unfortunately, no longer in production and I actually do not know for what reason, since it was a best-selling, top-notch barbershop shaving cream.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Does Proraso provide a simple set of instructions for it's products so everybody can follow the basic guidelines for professional barber's use?

On one side of the cardboard box that contains the Pre & Post cream you have some basic guidelines to follow.
Regarding the shaving soap and the shaving cream, you can simply ask help here at B&B, if needed.

Dear Marco,

Thumbs up from me too. I would really like a post from you for Italian soaps in general!!

Really like your writing

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Dear Marco,

Thumbs up from me too. I would really like a post from you for Italian soaps in general!!

Really like your writing

Thank you HIT!

Other posts on Italian products?
Coming soon...

I have Green version of Pre e Dopo and it is effective as preshave. I used it few times as post shave and did not like it as "Dopo".

My problem, however, is that I don't like the fact that it (is it due to camphor it contains?) makes my face pretty numb and this kills the joy of shaving with some high end creams. Combined with Proraso green soap or cream it is a real treat, no question about it. I guess it may as well be a good match with SMN, but I could not tell as I have not tried SMN yet.

To use it with Penhaligon's or other high end stuff without menthol I personally find it almost blasphemous as the green pre e dopo cream inevitably turns it into a Proraso shave no matter what.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against Proraso but when I want to have green Proraso experience (which is just occasional) I shave with green Proraso.

I will have to try the White version in hope it will be more neutral and allow for use with broader spectrum of soaps and creams.

I had a jar of the Proraso pre/post that I used up and never got around to replacing. It lasted about a year with daily usage.

I bought a large tub of Noxzema face cream for about $4 which I find works about the same. I bought the Noxzema because it was a good replacement, was inexpensive, and principally because it was readily available from local sources. I use it most of the time.

The Proraso is a better product, though. I like all the Proraso products, and wish they still produced the Red shave cream.

-- John Gehman

I just know I really like the feeling of having the Proraso Pre & Post shave cream on my face. It really does leave a refreshing and clean feeling. I'm tempted to buy a second jar as there are sales on now where I live.

I look forward to reading more articles from Marco.

Top Bottom