What's new

Proper Gillette Adjustable Settings

i can't remember where i saw the instructions - they were a scan of the original instructions that came with gillette adjustables

but AFTER you dial in the setting and AFTER you twist to close the doors, you should CONTINUE to twist for another half turn or so

if you're like me, you'd probably only turn the knob until you feel resistance (as on a super speed) and leave it at that, thinking it's closed

but grab hold of the tto knob tight and keep turning - you'll feel it lock into place - when you do this right, you'll find it impossible to turn it any further

You might've been thinking of this thread (just found it on a search after reading this one). It was a brilliant thread! Adjustable Gillette instructions in several languages. Many other razors too (just copied all the scans to a file, never know when this stuff will be pulled, some already have).

I don't see in any of them where it says to "unload" the mechanism before adjusting. Still, looking at/feeling the way they work, doing so seems to make perfect sense to me.

i honestly think it was an image of an instruction booklet off site somewhere

and whatever it was, it made it clear to "lock" with the extra half turn after dialing in the setting

i honestly think it was an image of an instruction booklet off site somewhere

and whatever it was, it made it clear to "lock" with the extra half turn after dialing in the setting

There is a thread here that has the Gillette Adjustable instructions listed, and yes, it does mention the extra 1/4 turn. It makes no mention of loosening the action prior to adjusting either. While I think it may be less stressful on the razor to make adjustments with it lose, all the adjuster does is raise or lower the base plate, changing blade gap. Blade angle stays the same.

There is a thread here that has the Gillette Adjustable instructions listed, and yes, it does mention the extra 1/4 turn. It makes no mention of loosening the action prior to adjusting either. While I think it may be less stressful on the razor to make adjustments with it lose, all the adjuster does is raise or lower the base plate, changing blade gap. Blade angle stays the same.

The extra turn is on the bottom (the TTO), not where is adjusts (the numbers). That's done on all TTO's, right?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/armenjc/Misc/GilletteAdjustableInstructions.jpg

The extra turn is on the bottom (the TTO), not where is adjusts (the numbers). That's done on all TTO's, right?

No, it is my understanding that this extra 1/4 to lock is only possible with a Gillette Slim Adjustable. I certainly can't make this extra turn with my Fatboy.

No, it is my understanding that this extra 1/4 to lock is only possible with a Gillette Slim Adjustable. I certainly can't make this extra turn with my Fatboy.

Looks like your fatboy needs a repair or more likely a good cleaning. The extra 1/4 turn was invented for the fatboy, and they all do it. I had one that didn't, it was gummed up with gunk on the inside. Once I got it cleaned, it worked fine. Google "fatboy takedown" for complete instructions on how to take apart a fatboy for cleaning.

just want to say, this is false, I have taken apart black beauties, slims and fatboys (fatboy is the only one that is "meant" to come apart) The spring puts downward pressure on the silo doors, the adjustment dial is threaded and moves upward as the settings increase, this moves the part right above it up, this in turn moves the blade and silo doors upward, increasing the gap. put one on setting one, lock it down and pull up on the doors and you will see what I am saying. blade angle does not change. The only thing that loosening the doors does is make it easier to adjust. which is fine if you prefer re aligning the blade with each adjustment.

Problem I find with written instructions is people do not as a RULE READ THEM. I am OCD to point of READING instruction for only one reason, I might learn something.

Remember when I bought my Canon EOS Camera and Speed Light to Replace my old magnum focus stuff, and Vivitar 283 Stobes.

Spend a lot of free time reading both manuals before putting new stuff in service, AMAZINGLY learned many time savings tips, tricks, just by reading.

Top Bottom