What's new

INFO! Proper conduct in "R.I.P" threads

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Be exemplary, or be silent.

It seems like every second "RIP" thread we have some brain-dead lunk-head on a self-appointed mission to speak his "mind" no matter what and where who has to chime in about how the deceased wasn't all that everyone else has him cracked up to be. Didn't share the political outlook of the deceased? Now's his chance to say-so, apparently. Don't like some skeleton from the closet of the deceased's personal life? Apparently that gives him the right to cast aspersions on his character.

No.

That ain't what the thread is for.

Look, if you want to go to a guy's funeral and be respectful and all that, then fill your boots. If you don't feel like being respectful ... you stay home. You go to the movies. You go anywhere other than the funeral.

These "RIP" threads are, for our community of gentlemen, the online equivalent of a funeral service. If you want to pay your respects to the deceased, you post. If you have a few poignant words regarding the deceased, you post. Otherwise, you don't post.

Oh, and for those of you (thankfully, very few of you) who think it's okay to post something along the line of "they say if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all ... so I won't say anything more here" ... guess what, Sparky ... you just screwed up.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks Doc, well said.

There's obviously a difference between a prominent public figure (regardless of the personal conjecture or opinion of the individual) and the dregs of civilization.

No doubt there are folks in the world who would be keen to test the waters with a Rest in Peace thread on the anniversary of the passing of Adolf Hitler, Che Guevara,
Richard Kuklinski or the like.

I hope that I am wrong. The members of B&B are quite an extraordinary group, and no doubt can rise above such pettiness.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks Doc! Tasteless free speech exercising is uncalled for in these instances.

I think this is part of the problem to be honest. People have this mistaken idea that freedom of speech means you may say what you please without consequences.
It doesn't mean that at all.
Freedom of speech applies toward expressing grievances without fear of government retaliation.
This is a privately owned forum, and the Constitutional right to Freedom of speech doesn't apply here.

Top Bottom