What's new

Preparing for first straight shave.

First shave Sunday went well. Meaning whiskers were reduced and virtually no blood. One small nick at the chin area but that was really the re-opening of an existing nick.

Biggest obstacle for me is how awkward it feels holding the razor and looking in the mirror. Tugging was a bit more than I expected but I'm sure it probably was an angle/technique issue. Becasue I was going so slow, had a lather drying issue but simply re-lathered to over come that problem.

I used it again this morning but did clean up with my DE so I would look more presentable for work and wouldn't have a lunch time shadow.

It's a shame young men aren't taught to shave with a str8 first. It would've been much easier learning with softer, immature whiskers growing in patched rather than full blown, steel wire whiskers all over.

Good job! :thumbup1: Keep at it and take your time, before you know it you'll be getting great shaves. :001_smile

Hopefully things are changing as far as teaching our sons... my little guy is 3 but when he's ready, he will learn. He likes to watch already. :thumbup:

Yeah, the pulling tugging is just getting used to straight shaving, you're never really prepared for how hard the razor pulls on the beard (especially around the chin) with the wrong technique. It quickly dissipates once you've learned how to use a firm hand (notice different from pressure) and the right angle. The difficulty is that the right angle is different on different spots on your face (and each face is different)

sounds like it went really well,i know what you mean about the tugging & i think chickpea got it right. that part really fades away quickly. other than that you seem to be at the head of the class for a first time shave.

Thanks for the support gents. I'm right back where I started when I started using a DE..... Impatiently waiting for the next shave.

BTW, recommendations for a barbers hone????????

My recommendation is to wait. You won't need a hone for quite some time and you (as a newbie) are more likely to **** up a blade with a barber's hone than actually refresh the blade. My advice: if it starts to really honestly need refreshing, spend the $20 for a pro honer. At least for the first 1-2 hones it needs. Then you can wander into the lovely world of hones: barbers vs chinese 12K, vs. shapton vs. spyderco, vs coticule vs. etc.

by then you will not think yourself seriously insane either for considering paying >$300 for a lump of ugly (although magnificently flat) rock.:laugh:

Thanks for the support gents. I'm right back where I started when I started using a DE..... Impatiently waiting for the next shave.

BTW, recommendations for a barbers hone????????

Just wait until you have had about ten shaves, the difference is undescribable.

First ATG shave today and first time I didn't feel a need to touch up with my DE! Not BBS but I would give it a DFS rating. Little blood here and there but just weepers really. Was a little concerned about a nick I couldn't see on the neck just below the ear.

All in all, a good day. It took a while though. Almost 25 minutes but well worth it. My chin is the big obstacle. I definetly got a close shave pretty much every where because I can still feel teh burn a little on the neck and sides of my face. And when the aftershave hit it...:bayrum2:

First ATG shave today and first time I didn't feel a need to touch up with my DE! Not BBS but I would give it a DFS rating. Little blood here and there but just weepers really. Was a little concerned about a nick I couldn't see on the neck just below the ear.

All in all, a good day. It took a while though. Almost 25 minutes but well worth it. My chin is the big obstacle. I definetly got a close shave pretty much every where because I can still feel teh burn a little on the neck and sides of my face. And when the aftershave hit it...:bayrum2:

It is on everyone. This is by far the hardest place to straight shave. You are doing great. Keep at it. Those weepers will go away soon enough.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom