What's new

Pre- shave oil

Hey guys, was wondering and needing information as I go deeper into the world of the straight shave. I have only been with the straight for maybe a month and a half. So I need to know what is a good process for my shave. I have only done the got towel and then I wet the face and lather up and start my shave. I have noticed that the shave feel like it could be a little smoother. So I need to know what I need to do. Is the pre- shave oil necessary for a smoother shave and what would be a good combo for the pre and post shave. Your wisdom is needed. Thanks

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I dont like oils. I shower first. Use the wifes conditioner on my whiskers and let it sit while i wash. Rince and get out. Work up a really wet lather and let it sit on my face while i comb my hair, brush teath and whatever. Put hot towel on top of lather for 30 seconds or so. Wipe off. Wet face and lather for the shave. Works just fine for me. You can tell by feel the whiskers are softer and ready for shaving.
YMMV.

I used it when I first started learning to shave with a DE. Pretty soon I realized I didn't need it at all. When I started learning to shave with a straight, I started using it again. I'm about a month in with the straight razor and shaved without oil for the first time this morning. I can say I couldn't find any difference in my shave without it.
My conclusion would be that I think it helps when your learning and makes your razor a bit more forgiving with razor burn if your angle is too steep or you hit the same area too many times. Another side benefit is it really helps moisturize dry winter skin. When you're done shaving, the area you used the oil still retains a bit.
I'd say try it. It's certainly affordable and can't hurt.

They sell Shave Secret at walmart. 3 bucks i think. We waist more money than that on a couple coffees. It cant hurt to try but you will find yourself not using it after a while. Good luck and congrads on using a Straight.

Thanks for your insight guys. I find myself using my beard oil after my shave to moisten my skin up and it keeps the razor burn away. Just got done with my shave and I can say I did bit Nick myself today woo hoo. No cuts. I did however see a few little spots where I went over to many times.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

A little late to the party, but I don't know that oil makes a huge difference. I have tried a couple oils and Proraso pre-shave cream. I liked the cream better. It helps with slickness in the event that you are a little off on your lather. I think just making sure that you are using something to moisturize is enough. If you are using a hot towel, lathering before you put the towel on may help like Jerry mentioned. That is what they did when I went for a shave at the barber. All I use is a moisturizing face wash when I shower. I go straight to the lather after that, no hot towel. Another thing you could try if you don't have time for the hot towel is lathering before you strop. Then re-lather after stropping. It should help soften the whiskers.

In the end, if you want to use it, I think it is beneficial. If you choose not to use it, you will learn to compensate with your lather and shave technique.

I think a good lather and a nice sharp edge outweighs the shave oil...to each their own really...but i still use it most days as it just helps my skin.

I use it and love the preshave oil. It's not near as important as a good sharp razor and well prepared shaving cream. I've shaved without it and I can tell a difference. Is it all in my mind? Maybe, but it makes my shave (and face) more enjoyable. Many will say they can tell no difference; I can't dispute that either. I'd try it and see how you like it.

I keep a bottle of preshave oil around, but honestly I only use it once in a while and then only because I love the fragrance. As far as preshave routines that I like, I find a shower before hand really helps soften the whiskers and I even have a favorite soap to wash my face with. Don't know what it is about it, but it softens my whiskers just a little bit better than others. Bounce around and try every shave cream and soap you can lay your hands on. It is amazing what a big difference they make. In short order you will have two or three you prefer. Last recommendation. Take your time lathering your face. I can get lather on my face in just a moment, but the shave is better if I take my time and really work the lather on my face. Most of all, HAVE FUN!

Pre-shave oils seem to be a mixed bag. Some love em, some hate them, but most probably don't care one way or the other. I have not tried a product sold as a preshave oil. However, I had tried two shave oils: Shave Secret and Somersets. I have also tried blending a DIY concoction of vegetable oil and essential oils. It seemed to me that these oils just killed the lather initially and I had to apply more soap. I don't know if it really did any good.

I did read a post elsewhere where someone indicated that they used vitamin E oil, but they applied it the night before shaving to allow the oil to soak into the skin. I have purchased some of the oil, but have not tried applying it well ahead of time.

Another trick that might work for you is to apply a few drops of low lather "brushless" shave cream or shave butter to your face before you apply your regular lather. Since these products are not oils, they don't kill the lather like oil can do. I don't like using low lathering products by themselves, but in combination with a regular soap or cream, they work well.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Just remember for straights you need a slippery lather, not a voluminous one like you see in the SOTD sometimes. It looks nice in the bowl, but a thin lather without too much air incorporated might be better, but YMMV of course.

I used to use oils but not anymore.

I never use preshave oil, pre-strop your razor, just freshly wash your face, mix a good smooth batch of soap up, wet you face, and have at it, if your razor is properly sharpened, this is the only routine you'll need, at least to only one I use.

I prefer the gels. Not as messy and I feel it does a better job. Try Cella pre-shave gel. It's inexpensive and you only need a dime size and it will really cushion your face.

I am now couple months in on straights....started with some Colonel Conk pre-shave oil. After experimenting, found it works against good shave soap....but, found a better use. "Post-shave" oil!

I splash few drops of Clubman, then few drops of the oil - helps to moisturize my skin which is fairly dry. Then before heading out the door, reset the Clubman scent with new splash (oil has Peppermint in it).

While I did use pre-shave oils at one stage early in my straight shaving, I quickly have found that I have no real need for them.
Others may disagree (the usual YMMV clause), but a proper pre-shave routine of softening the face with water (and some soap, if you like) and creating a nice, rich lather is all that I need these days.

Early on, when the technique is not refined enough, the use of pre-shave oils or pre-shave creams like Proraso may have some uses, but most experienced straight shavers do not seem to depend on them.

B.

A good quality lather is best, as mentioned before, much wetter than for a DE shave, I have even stopped the general use of an Alum block after shaving and only use one rarely when I feel particular irritation usually caused by a sub par edge.

I prefer gels. Try the Cella Pre-shave gel, AOS pre-shave gel or use Cremo concentrate. Crown also makes a very affordable pre-shave gel. My first choice-cells.

Top Bottom