What's new

Post your pictures - Made in France or French Razors (Excluding TI and Le Jaguar)

Its a very rare Razor, Boland produced in Belgium in Namur and Liege, there are only two i ever saw an Ebay, one is now mine, the other does a Member of the german GRF Forum own, its nearly 8/8 :001_cool:

Le Grelot, 6/8, ivory scales

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 268
I believe this is French because of the Deposee (forgive the absence of the accents...don't know how to include them) over the Eagle and the name on the other side of "F. Pagis". She needs some scales and a cleaning and measures as a 6/8ths. I was able to hone her up right off the bat. Maybe I should use it as a French Kamisori?

View attachment 306731View attachment 306732

The wave in the center of the blade is an optical illusion. When I previewed this post I saw it and had to take the blade back out to see if she'd suddenly bellied out in the middle.

My favorite razor so far, a Le Grelot 6/8 in Ebony.

$frejus.jpg$grelot.jpg
This one appear to have been made for a Barber.
One of the side of the tang has a last name and the name of a city on the south of France (Frejus).
I have seen a few LeGrelot like that that had custom engraving in the tang. Always a name and a city.

Here is an interesting frameback.
The tang says Comte Bellot. Langres-Grenoble
I have never heard of Comte Bellot as a brand. Langres and Grenoble are 2 different cities, but not in proximity of each other.
Making it more mysterious, it was picked up in Lithuania.
$$(KGrHqF,!qMFESIt+TtJBRftgs0dow~~60_12.JPG$$T2eC16R,!yUE9s6NFHziBRfthDdHNQ~~60_12.JPG

On the frame, it says Trempe Infernal - or Infernal tempering.
I have not had a chance to hone this one, but I can not wait to try it.

Very nice, that looks like horn.
And it looks wide too. Do you know more about it. Caprice means 'tantrum' I would think that would be the name of the model, not the maker. Anything else on the tang?
Whatever must have been on the blade is long gone, considering the beautiful shine you have on it.

Very nice, that looks like horn.
And it looks wide too. Do you know more about it. Caprice means 'tantrum' I would think that would be the name of the model, not the maker. Anything else on the tang?
Whatever must have been on the blade is long gone, considering the beautiful shine you have on it.

Yes I rescaled it in horn, it was previously in bone. I bought it from a member here a while ago. I didn't do anything to the blade actually, nothing was written on it and seeing the almost non-existent hone wear, I would say it was just in pristine condition.
Original:
$DSCF6928.jpg

On the tang on the other side it says "Made in Germany for P.F. Ferrière"

I haven't been able to find out much about the history of it sadly (except a few other models by the same maker on ebay). Seems like there are actually many french razors out there which are little known, not all coming from Thiers (although many are).

I'm French-Canadian so I'm familiar with the term Caprice, which I actually find quite accurate for this one, seeing as it was a bit tough to get it honed-right the first time! :)

Here are a few more frenchies that I have (I should receive 2 more soon):
"L'alpin coupe toujours" - L'alpin, always cuts:
$DSCF7199.jpg

Jackson Garanti (I'm thinking its french since the word Garanti is used).
$DSCF7204.jpg

Le Grelot:
$DSCF7134.jpg

Peroux Cognet (most likely done by Thiers, or in Thiers).
View attachment 337254

I have a few Peroux-Cognet myself, but none are in shaving conditions yet.
Peroux-Cognet had a model called "Le Talisman" that existed first as a frameback and then as what looks like a full hollow (I have not received that one yet, so I am not sure).
What is strange with "Le Talisman" is that I saw once one that also said Le Grelot on it (http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)
It could be that the scales were changed, but that is still strange.
Anyway, that got me wondering if the 2 companies were somewhat related.

On my list of restoration projects, I also have this David Issard.
View attachment 337421
Unfortunately, when I was trying to restore the blade geometry (it had uneven wear on the cutting side), I cracked the blade a bit. The only way I can ever make it usable now, it to shorten the bottom of the blade. That adds some challenge as I have not had to work the metal yet like that.

Last edited:
Auguste Bain Frameback in what I believe are ebony scales. Got this during my initial learning to hone phase and could make no progress. Obiwan kindly honed it for me.

Actually the Peroux-Cognet I have did have "Le Talisman" written on the blade originally. It was mostly washed away and covered with some rust so I couldn`t keep it when I restored it. I've also read on some french forums that people think there is a link with Thiers/Le Grelot. To be honest, it shaves just as well as my Le Grelot other than the writing on the tang (and the price paid for it).

I have a few Peroux-Cognet myself, but none are in shaving conditions yet.
Peroux-Cognet had a model called "Le Talisman" that existed first as a frameback and then as what looks like a full hollow (I have not received that one yet, so I am not sure).
What is strange with "Le Talisman" is that I saw once one that also said Le Grelot on it (http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)
It could be that the scales were changed, but that is still strange.
Anyway, that got me wondering if the 2 companies were somewhat related.

Next in Line, a 8/8 Rousselon A Nogent Faux-Frameback:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A 6/8 Manufacture D´Armes & Cycles St. Etienne with Turtle Scales:

A NOS Bourgade 334 in 7/8, just from the Same Blank the Spartacus an L´Espagnolette was made off:

And a 13/16 Double Point made by Ste. Gallia Paris i restored some time ago, new Olive Wood Scales and light polish:

Actually the Peroux-Cognet I have did have "Le Talisman" written on the blade originally. It was mostly washed away and covered with some rust so I couldn`t keep it when I restored it. I've also read on some french forums that people think there is a link with Thiers/Le Grelot. To be honest, it shaves just as well as my Le Grelot other than the writing on the tang (and the price paid for it).

Here's my Peroux-Cognet. The Le Talisman etching is faded, but it is a lovely blade just the same, and shaves great. To me, it looks like a Le Grelot, though I have never had one of those in my hands to compare it with. It was an Ebay find. The pins on the scales were a little rough, so I'm not sure they were original. I'd call it a half hollow.

$IMG_0862.jpg$IMG_0864.jpg$IMG_0865.jpg

Top Bottom