What's new

Post Your Pictures: Japanese Razors

Coral - Whoever bought this from me probably sold it to Henry because it has some of the same spots.
proxy.php

Hoshi Tombo
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

King Pelican
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Manaslu
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

R. Saito / Kikuboshi
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Success No.1
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Suzumasa
proxy.php

proxy.php

Tanifuji - Very highly respected razor smith; pure class
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Kinsyo
proxy.php

My advice -- when Telly writes a PM and asks if you want to buy something, for Pete's sake, say YES first and then, when you get around to it, ask him what it is he's selling!! --Jeff

Haha, great advice Jeff, pretty much how it goes!

I was actually watching the one from the guy in greece :lol:

To be far though I think a thuringian was included in that auction as well

Oh OK. That makes sense. It's funny that these JP razors have become popular because when I offered them here, nobody was interested.

Telly,
Gorgeous blades, as usual :thumbup1:...I love these Iwasakis.

Question to all in the know:
With the asymmetrical grind that these blades carry, do you have to shave with one face of the razor or can you shave with both. I bet honing these has a whole different regime to them (probably complex and asymmetrical)

Traditionally, Japanese razors are used with one specific side against the face at all times. The side with stamps is called the ura. The side without stamps is called the omote. You're supposed to shave with the omote against your face - never with the ura against your face. I use both sides though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBDRP6tSOWo

This thread is PURE Evil :biggrin: and I should stop looking at it. Something told me when I first saw Henry's post/request for pictures that this is not going to end well (not for me, at least).

Henry: if I end up buying blades, I attribute ALL of the blame to you :lol:

Hanasama - For the price, nothing beats this razor.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

New Azuma - Similar to the Hanasama
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Henkotsu - One of Japan's great razor smiths.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ichihara - He was a close associate of Tosuke.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Iwasaki - Swedish steel
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Iwasaki - Tamahagane steel
proxy.php

proxy.php

Shizu Saburo (not the real maker's name) - Tamahagane steel
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Tomoyuki - 8/8 blade, 2.6 ounces of steel
proxy.php

proxy.php

Tosuke
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Tadashi Machida - Damascus steel
proxy.php

:a47::a47::a47::a47::a47::a47:

Oh OK. That makes sense. It's funny that these JP razors have become popular because when I offered them here, nobody was interested.

Traditionally, Japanese razors are used with one specific side against the face at all times. The side with stamps is called the ura. The side without stamps is called the omote. You're supposed to shave with the omote against your face - never with the ura against your face. I use both sides though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBDRP6tSOWo

Telly,
Thanks...that is very interesting :thumbup1:...So, I imagine then that I will use one hand to shave entire face, as opposed to both hands (as I am used to now).

Also, wouldn't that create an unequal wear on the omote side vs. the ura?

I read somewhere that left handers can't use Japanese style straight's, but there was no explanation given as to why. Can someone clarify this for me please?

Telly,
Thanks...that is very interesting :thumbup1:...So, I imagine then that I will use one hand to shave entire face, as opposed to both hands (as I am used to now).

Also, wouldn't that create an unequal wear on the omote side vs. the ura?

The wear isn't supposed to be equal. Traditionally, you're supposed to hone the omote more than the ura. Some people hone both sides equally and haven't had any issues though.

Here's a link to a Japanese man showing his technique to honing Japanese razors. His English isn't perfect but you get the gist of it.
http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~bjb52646.../razhoning.htm

I had my eye on a Kinsyo on the bay and lost it in the last few seconds:blush:

That was my listing.

I read somewhere that left handers can't use Japanese style straight's, but there was no explanation given as to why. Can someone clarify this for me please?

:blink: Please tell me this is NOT true! If so, I'm going to have to get better with my right hand.

That's if you use it in the traditional sense. You're supposed to shave with one side and to hone with predominantly one side.

However, people hone and shave with both sides without issues. It's not the traditional way to do it but people do it all the time.

That's if you use it in the traditional sense. You're supposed to shave with one side and to hone with predominantly one side.

However, people hone and shave with both sides without issues. It's not the traditional way to do it but people do it all the time.

So would I be better off looking for a Western style Japanese blade? or maybe a traditional and have it re honed?

I love the shape and look of the traditional Japanese blades, but would be ok with a Western style that has the same shape if I have to.

So would I be better off looking for a Western style Japanese blade? or maybe a traditional and have it re honed?

I love the shape and look of the traditional Japanese blades, but would be ok with a Western style that has the same shape if I have to.

You can get a traditional JP razor but just make sure that you get it professionally honed by someone who has experience honing JP razors. Just because someone hones Western razors doesn't mean that he can hone traditional JP razors.

Top Bottom