What's new

Post Your Pictures: Japanese Razors

These are great pictures. Are there cheaper japanese straights on the market? I've been interested but whenever I find a japanese striaght anywhere online it's always upwards of at the very least 300+. Are there such things as beginners japanese straights?
Yes they can be had for for $150 or so all day long. Just like western straights some are more desirable than others.

My Tosuke:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's my only J-Blade, and most likely the only one I'll ever buy. :thumbup1:

These are great pictures. Are there cheaper japanese straights on the market? I've been interested but whenever I find a japanese striaght anywhere online it's always upwards of at the very least 300+. Are there such things as beginners japanese straights?

Absolutely, there's plenty of them available -- and $100 - $150 is about the right price for most of them.

The best advice comes from Telly, however. Get one that is new or close to new, and absolutely, positively stay away from the more "used" looking Japanese razors, as there's quite a few out there that have been honed to a point that they will not get sharp anymore, at least not using the sort of normal honing techiques that most people know.

On the other hand, unlike some inexpensive "beginner" or "introductory" level Western razors, the relatively cheap Japanese razors are ridiculously good shavers. I have a very basic Kanetaka, $150, that is my 100% absolute favorite blade right now, and it shaves better than razors I have costing three times as much. All of these Japanese razors are hand crafted, so it means that even the "intro" level razors are pretty carefully made, most of the time. You really can't go wrong with most of them.

And, Tony, great looking Tosuke, man. Now put that fine blade to use!! (Looks a little too "virgin" for my taste!)

:blink:

Wow, great photos of great razrs! I'll add my humble efforts of my one and only Japanese ... oh, I guess I could have included my Feather ... razor.

If anyone knows anything about it, I'm all ears. I plan to clean it up and have a go at honing it eventually.

I picked up a NOS Hanasama (6/8 @ widest) from Telly earlier this year (pics are from his ad). Hard to believe how long this thing keeps an edge... one heck of a great shaver!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Arghhh!! This thread is causing my JRAD to act up! I don't know if it counts, because I just bought this baby and haven't yet received it, but here are the vendor's photos of my newest acquisition:

View attachment 131010

View attachment 131011

View attachment 131012

I love the looks of traditional Japanese straights, especially the asymetrical grind. But I am having a hell of a time getting the hang of shaving with them. I never fail to cut myself with one of the little "terror sticks."

Tokyo Coral, 6/8

proxy.php

Did you get that Coral from me? I remember selling one here.

Man I love seeing that Akamatsu M-55 Manaslu, 6/8 :drool:

Saw one on eBay about a month back that I was totally going to gun for, but the seller unfortunately ended the auction early. Lovely, lovely blade!

You might have been looking at one of my listings. I often end listings early because I sell the razor off of ebay. I sold the M55 to someone in Greece for about $145. He then sold it on eBay for $190. :001_huh:

Hanasama - For the price, nothing beats this razor.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

New Azuma - Similar to the Hanasama
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Henkotsu - One of Japan's great razor smiths.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ichihara - He was a close associate of Tosuke.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Iwasaki - Swedish steel
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Iwasaki - Tamahagane steel
proxy.php

proxy.php

Shizu Saburo (not the real maker's name) - Tamahagane steel
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Tomoyuki - 8/8 blade, 2.6 ounces of steel
proxy.php

proxy.php

Tosuke
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Tadashi Machida - Damascus steel
proxy.php

Did you get that Coral from me? I remember selling one here.

You might have been looking at one of my listings. I often end listings early because I sell the razor off of ebay. I sold the M55 to someone in Greece for about $145. He then sold it on eBay for $190. :001_huh:

I was actually watching the one from the guy in greece :lol:

To be far though I think a thuringian was included in that auction as well

I was going to post some pictures, but after seeing Telly's post I'm too much in awe of his post to post my razors to after his.

Telly, that Coral razor you had was one of the few razors you offered me that I did not buy. What a bone head move!!!

I was going to post some pictures, but after seeing Telly's post I'm too much in awe of his post to post my razors to after his.

Telly, that Coral razor you had was one of the few razors you offered me that I did not buy. What a bone head move!!!

Telly's Japanese razor collection compared to mine is like Godzilla vs. Bambi! There's just no words for it.

My advice -- when Telly writes a PM and asks if you want to buy something, for Pete's sake, say YES first and then, when you get around to it, ask him what it is he's selling!! --Jeff

Hanasama - For the price, nothing beats this razor.

Iwasaki - Swedish steel
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Iwasaki - Tamahagane steel
proxy.php

proxy.php

Telly,
Gorgeous blades, as usual :thumbup1:...I love these Iwasakis.

Question to all in the know:
With the asymmetrical grind that these blades carry, do you have to shave with one face of the razor or can you shave with both. I bet honing these has a whole different regime to them (probably complex and asymmetrical)

Top Bottom