What's new

Post your pictures - Ivory scaled razors

I'm wondering if it was an old repair to a crack on the other side.

It is exactly that. Some craftsman (I'm guessing pre-1900) took a piece of ivory, worked it down to match the rear scale at the pivot, spliced it onto the front (show side) scale and carved it to match.

Sorry, just realized you were hypothesizing on a repair on the back or non-show side of the wedge end. The repair I refer to in my first sentence was done on the pivot end. You can see a parting line just a few mm from the pivot pin.
There is no indication of a repair having been done on the wedge end.

The steel is wonderful. Takes a very keen edge without an inordinate amount of effort and has kept it through quite a few shaves. Even against the wire that sprouts from my face and neck.

Would love to have that steel in a 6/8 with a french point between a cocobolo or similar 3-pin scale.

Last edited:
A Finnigans LTD 18 New Bond St branded straight with clean ivory. Seems the company started in the late 19th century and closed sometime in the 1950's? The address indicates this razor was made in 1900 or later from what I could find. They retailed high end leather goods and associated items. This was a cheap find, purchased for the crack free scales, but...theres no tension left in them and I can see signs that a giant rust monster dwells in the pivot area. She shaves well enough after two trips to the stones, slight smile and something like a half hollow grind, sings pretty loud, but not as tactile as a full hollow imo. This gal is a long term project when I work up the courage to unpin ivory. For now I drenched the pivot area in oil and wiped up the excess.

Shes a bit dirty, just a quick wipe post shave and snapped these pics.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 152
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 145
Something on closer inspection tells me something is suspect with these last two posts. nice,, but something is amiss here. Some things just don't add up. The polish on the last one, where it 's done on the blade. The prior one the style and quality of the "carving" vs. the Pinning.
Something , if you follow historic pieces just doesn't look right. Read Malcolm Gladwell and you'll know what I mean.

Last edited:
Something on closer inspection tells me something is suspect with these last two posts. nice,, but something is amiss here. Some things just don't add up. The polish on the last one, where it 's done on the blade. The prior one the style and quality of the "carving" vs. the Pinning.
Something , if you follow historic pieces just doesn't look right. Read Malcolm Gladwell and you'll know what I mean.

I would appreciate if you would elaborate on what you feel is suspect, if that was in part directed to the post of the Finnigans razor. I am sure you your post was done with the best of intentions, but backing up your opinion by referencing an outside resource especially without a link is a bit of a stretch.

Part of why I enjoy B&B so much is the extensive wealth of knowledge its posters share with everyone. I am always trying to add to my knowledge base in terms of things that interest me and I'm more than willing to do my own homework. Thanks!

I'm just starting out with straight razors. Your post is pretty vague in its tone or meaning. Would you be kind enough to educate me on what you're alluding to?

Outstanding work, congratulations on finishing number 1. I look forward to seeing 6 more masterpieces in the future!

But a wonderful one to follow[emoji2]

The ox is slow but the earth is patient. I look forward to watching this set unfold as well. I think the fact that this process is going to take so long is what's going to make this seven day set so special.

Ok...how does burning ivory help elephants or reduce the demand? It seems like some sort of feel good act that only makes the people in the film feel better. Personally I do not want elephants to go extinct. Could the sale of it been used to provide funds to African game departments?

Some people believe that the more ivory on the market, the bigger the demand for ivory.
By taking a lot of it out of circulation, the theory is that will reduce the 'desire' in the market place.

I don't recall that theory ever working. Burning books, burning weed, etc... all big fails.

The laws have gotten more strict in the last 2 years.
I hear there's a push for the involved agencies to make examples out of people violating the newest battery of laws.
Interstate sale, here in the US, of ivory antiques, or ivory that can be proven to be pre-whatever the year is is legal, but you have to demonstrate proof.
I don't think old ivory that's been worked is legal to sell though. In other words, if you had an antique ivory box, and you could prove it was old enough to be 'legal' - but you cut it up to make something else out of it, your ivory isn't legal anymore.

Complex

Blades are Ali's Blade from France
Scales are mine from Rhode Island
Scrimshaw is Bob Hergert from Oregon

Will be housed and used in Milan

Thank you Doc! The only thing less than perfect I can tell is it should be housed and used at MY house! :tongue_sm

The CVH Mk 30 and 31 have been in here before, but the Mk 32 is new. I thought I'd include her here with all her sisters in a quick family photo. The little Mk 30 still hasn't been cleaned up yet, but its on my to do list, lol.

Top Bottom