What's new

Post Your Catch

Just got back from a 2 day fishing trip. Five carp for me, not huge fish and not a great haul for 2 days but still a nice break.

$carps2.jpg

$carps.jpg

$carps4.jpg

One after dark
$carps3.jpg

And this was the best looking of the bunch, caught it on a floating dog biscuit

$carps5.jpg

Nothing to brag about, but considering all we usually pull out of this lake are bluegill & sunfish, this was a nice catch.

proxy.php

I just came back from a trip to FL. We spent three days fishing in Lake Okeechobee, FL. Below is the last day's catch of catfish.

$catch.jpg

On the first and second day, we caught some bass - but all were below the 18" minimum size and we released them. We also caught some huge bowfin which my brother-in-law said would be a nice eating fish. He lied. They tasted terrible. Much to my surprise we did not catch a single bluegill.

Huge carp, Warren. Do you ever eat these fish?

A few years ago, my brother-in-law and I were fishing for bluegills. I was using a small spinner and worm. On my first cast, I caught - actually snagged - a large carp by the tail. It took me more than 20 minutes to land the fish. I thought I had a large catfish and was surprised when it turned out to be a carp.

Huge carp, Warren. Do you ever eat these fish?

A few years ago, my brother-in-law and I were fishing for bluegills. I was using a small spinner and worm. On my first cast, I caught - actually snagged - a large carp by the tail. It took me more than 20 minutes to land the fish. I thought I had a large catfish and was surprised when it turned out to be a carp.
Nope, we never eat the carp, they are quite a prized asset for the fishery, some of the very large (30lb+) fish can go into £1000's and some special strains can go into the £10,000's and more from what a fishery owner told me, he has spent around £250,000 on fish over the last 12 years!!

Why are they so expensive?

As far as I understand it, we're trying to kill just about every single one we see here in the US since they're invasive...unless this is a different carp (Asian) entirely?

Why are they so expensive?

As far as I understand it, we're trying to kill just about every single one we see here in the US since they're invasive...unless this is a different carp (Asian) entirely?
These are UK bred fish, they can take ages to grow to the huge sizes so I guess that's where a lot of the cost comes from.
They are seen as prized sport fish here and people will go to the same lake for years just trying to catch one special fish, they even have names:laugh:

These are UK bred fish, they can take ages to grow to the huge sizes so I guess that's where a lot of the cost comes from.
They are seen as prized sport fish here and people will go to the same lake for years just trying to catch one special fish, they even have names:laugh:

I had a name for the carp I caught. But if I say what I called it I would be in trouble!

Top Bottom