What's new

Portable Bluetooth speaker

I'm wanting to get a new Bluetooth speaker for around the house, it will mainly be used in the bathroom when my wife and I get ready, and outdoors when we have cookouts and such.

Here's the requirements:

Under $50
At least somewhat weather/water proof/resistant

Whatcha got gents?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've got the Harmon Kardon Esquire 2. I love it. LOUD and sounds great for a bluetooth speaker.

You might want to check out the JBL Clip or Clip 2. Retails around 40 bucks and it's waterproof.

My friends have the Altec Lansing Jacket H2O and it pumps out decent sound and long battery life. Around 40-60 depending on where you get it from. They use it on their boat.

Upping my price a bit, what about the JBL charge 3 ($103 on Amazon warehouse deal) or the JBL Flip 3 ($79 on Amazon)

I recommend the OontZ Angle 3. The price tag falls around $30, it has good sound, good volume, good bass for its size and it is water resistant. I use it for the same things you mentioned, primarily in the bathroom when getting ready for the day.

IMG_4638.JPG
IMG_4641.JPG
Ihome iBT60, walked by a display at Home Depot of all places, $24. Its pretty loud considering the size, compact, pairs super easy with my iPhone. Amazon has them at about the same price Prime.

I have one of the Anker Sport models
Anker | SoundCore Sport XL | Black

Listed as waterproof, so I have no concerns about using in the bathroom, although we use it in our older non blutooth equipped car and truck, as well as outside. It's rubber armored so rough handling is no problem and has been trouble free since I have had it for roughly 18 months.

I have one of the Anker Sport models
Anker | SoundCore Sport XL | Black

Listed as waterproof, so I have no concerns about using in the bathroom, although we use it in our older non blutooth equipped car and truck, as well as outside. It's rubber armored so rough handling is no problem and has been trouble free since I have had it for roughly 18 months.

Just picked one up on Amazon thanks for the recommendation!

I recommend the OontZ Angle 3. The price tag falls around $30, it has good sound, good volume, good bass for its size and it is water resistant. I use it for the same things you mentioned, primarily in the bathroom when getting ready for the day.

I have the Oontz Angle 3 too, l and initially used it for music in the bathroom as well, but now it resides in the Jeep where I like to go out and listen to music or watch YouTube on my phone during lunch. Not terribly worried if it gets stolen or damaged at the price point, which fits your original price criteria. It is durable and works well for the price, but the sound is that of a small speaker. Good sound at reasonable volume, or talk radio, but this isn't the one to rock out with.

Upping my price a bit, what about the JBL charge 3 ($103 on Amazon warehouse deal) or the JBL Flip 3 ($79 on Amazon)

The Flip 3 is what relegated the aforementioned Oontz to Jeep duty. Fantastic speaker well worth the price. It's LOUD and clear. I like it so much I bought a second. They can be wireless linked to each other and pair to my Amazon Echo dot (or any bluetooth device) flawlessly and really fill the house up with sound. These are a fantastic choice for some big sound from a small speaker. They have a long battery life too. 8 hours of so depending on how loud you use them. Perfect for the garage, or doing yard work, cooking in the kitchen, swinging in the hammock, sitting around a campfire, hosting an indoor or outdoor get together, etc. I use them daily. They hang or hide anywhere. They're even loud enough to jam along with a guitar. Very happy with them! Even going as far as packaging and presentation, the Flip 3 is absolutely a fine choice. You know you bought something of quality just as soon as you unbox it.

I absolutely love my Bose Soundlink Mini II, it's well over the questioned price range, but it's an absolutely fantastic speaker!

We have the Anker SoundCore, for the price it is fantastic.

Anker | SoundCore | Black

Just a tip I got a LONG time ago from a university professor who studied audio dynamic ranges, he said never ever play any speaker at full volume, he said about 75%-80% is the highest he'd ever recommend anyone turn up the volume on any audio device. He then said most things sound their best at about 50%.

I am actually listening to this now. I highly recommend it. The only downside I have found is the speakerphone. It is a little quiet.

Top Bottom