What's new

"Poor Man's" Brushes: A Guide to 5 Good Cheap Brushes

I would have to recommend the semogue 1305. I just got it a few weeks ago and let me tell you something I like it more then all my other brushes combined (that includes the b&b eagle)

So far, other great recommendations for inexpensive brushes have been:
-Semogue 1305, 1438 and 610
-New Forest "budget" line
-Vie-Long 13061
-Tweezerman (it does have its place)
-Wilkinson Sword bristle (for our non CONUS members)
-Omega 10029
-Frank Shaving brushes

Been considering this for a while, but based on this thread (and others), I just ordered a Mighty Midget. Been looking for a non-Wee Scot tiny brush.

I'd say the Vie-Long Peleon is a better deal (and a better brush) than the 13061. If you've got to have that handle, the 13061M is a better option.

If you're really into boar, don't ignore the Omega Pros. I just got one of the black and silver handled ones and it led to me selling my Semogue 2011 LE boar - it really was that much better (for me). It does have a very large loft, so it may not be for everyone.

Having used the New Forest 1901 and 2222 brushes, I'd say they're the best badger brush deal out there.

The Frank Shaving synthetic is an amazing brush and it only costs about $11 shipped.

So far, other great recommendations for inexpensive brushes have been:
-Semogue 1305, 1438 and 610
-New Forest "budget" line
-Vie-Long 13061
-Tweezerman (it does have its place)
-Wilkinson Sword bristle (for our non CONUS members)
-Omega 10029
-Frank Shaving brushes

I'd say the Vie-Long Peleon is a better deal (and a better brush) than the 13061. If you've got to have that handle, the 13061M is a better option.

The reason that I prefer the
12601 (had wrong number;
13061) is the knot, I like the firmer feel of the short loft knot over the slightly floppy feel of the larger knot in the Peleon (I own both).

Last edited:
The reason that I prefer the 13061 is the knot, I like the firmer feel of the short loft knot over the slightly floppy feel of the larger knot in the Peleon (I own both).

Strange - the specs are the same on the knots and the dyed 13061 seemed to be much more floppy to me than the Peleon.

From BullGoose Shaving:

13061 (Zurito)

Knot: 23mm

Loft: 57mm

Overall Height: 100mm

12705 (Peleon)

Knot Diameter: 23mm

Overall Height: 103mm

Also, the 13061 has a 50/50 mix of mane to tail hair, while the Peleon has a 35:65 mix of mane to tail hair. The Tail hair is supposed to be stiffer - that's certainly how it seems to me.

I've noticed that Vie-Longs specs have minor variations (due to "hands on" manufacturing) similar to Simpsons. A loft size can vary give or take 2mm -/+ and the diameters of the knot can vary as well.

very nice write up, the VdH luxury is my everday brush, it lathers everything I have tried though it does shed a little but for $10, its a great brush. I now have some options for when I want to try a new brush,

Strange - the specs are the same on the knots and the dyed 13061 seemed to be much more floppy to me than the Peleon.

From BullGoose Shaving:

13061 (Zurito)

Knot: 23mm

Overall Height: 100mm

12705 (Peleon)

Knot Diameter: 23mm

Overall Height: 103mm

Also, the 13061 has a 50/50 mix of mane to tail hair, while the Peleon has a 35:65 mix of mane to tail hair. The Tail hair is supposed to be stiffer - that's certainly how it seems to me.

my bad..... I got my model numbers all mixed up, the brush I was plugging is th[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]e 12601 which is a 20mm knot with 50mm loft in unbleached horse 35% mane 65% tail, it shows up on a couple vendors' sites, but mine was from Shavetools.

The 3mm diameter and 7mm loft don't sound like huge differences, but the brush does present a bit less flop than the larger knot and mine is profiled more toward fan, which I like.
[/FONT]​

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but i defintley think the Semogue 1305 should be included in this review. For $19 you cannot beat that brush. I ended up selling my expensive Simpsons Duke 3 and have been using my 1305 almost daily, and once it broke in has been an amazing brush. I bought two more since, keeping one for later on in case they discontinue it, and one as a gift for my brother.

Received the Mighty Midget a while ago, and I've been using it happily since that time. I really like it.

Unlike the Wee Scot, it has a really nice lather carrying capacity and it doesn't shed lather all over the handle. There's a bit of scritch, and some backbone.

Very nice brush!

Received the Mighty Midget a while ago, and I've been using it happily since that time. I really like it.

Unlike the Wee Scot, it has a really nice lather carrying capacity and it doesn't shed lather all over the handle. There's a bit of scritch, and some backbone.

Very nice brush!

Good to hear. After about a week using my Colonel I'm going to go back to the Midge for the day using some RR Chianti.

Shea Moisture badger shaving brush, $8 at Target, must be the cheapest badger available off the shelf at a major retailer.
A bit floppy, but does the job with cream, and even soaps. Some have added O'rings to give it more backbones.
My all time favorite will remain the horse bestshave Turkish No. 6 at $2.45...

linty1

My wallet cries.
I didn't take a good look, and it might be the same Wilkinson talked about above, but I was at the Real Canadian Superstore (here in Canada) and saw a Wilkinson brush for around $5-6, reg price. Wish I had saw that one first, but instead I got a Omega brush from Shoppers for $12 on sale from $15.

The Plastic handle shaving brush no:7 from Best Shave is actually very good for $2.55

I bought one last March for a laugh and I didn't stop using it until I got a Semogue 830 Boar recently. Incredible brush and I love it.
I like stiff bristle. I had an Edwin Jagger pure badger since December but if feels too soft and small now.

Update on the Mighty Midget. After 2 1/2 weeks it's breaking in very nicely. Up until the last two uses, I've had to "paint" more than "scrub" to get my normal amount of lather. Monday and today it has been feeling more like my Rooney Pure Badger 3/1 brush. I like it.

Top Bottom