What's new

Pomade and/or Hair Conditioner Advice

I have been perusing this thread for some time, and would like some advice on a product.

I have light coloured hair that is pretty sparse on top. I had shaved my head for about 20 years, but am growing it in
(at least sides and back :001_rolle).

Previously I had found that my thin hair was sticking out and not looking very neat.

I am in search of a product that will allow me to grow my hair a bit longer and comb/style it so it stays neat.

Looking at the various threads I am thinking of trying one of the following:
Murray's Super Light
Reuzel Green
Black & White
Royal Crown

Or do you think Pinaud Eau de Quinine or Tabac hair cream would be better to start with?

If it's on the thin/limper side I would start with something like maybe brylcream/groom and clean. If it's thicker and stiffer then maybe consider one of the things you mentioned above. Those oil based pomades can be a bit of a commitment haha. There are also some decent water based pomades/clays/pastes that work well on short hair too but it really depends on a few factors:

Do you want to wash it out easily?
Do you want shine?
Do you want Matte?
Do you want to be able to re-style throughout the day?

I too kept my hair cut real short (#1 on the clippers weekly), but have been growing it out for a few months now. Very thin, unmanageable hair, thus the keeping it shaved for years. Originally blonde, now seasoned with lots of white & gray. CPAP mask harness adds to the unruliness. Water based pomades work very well for me, Suavecito and Fisticuffs give almost helmet hair, but darkens the hair color, almost an old greasy dirty look. Dove is a little lighter hold. Old Spice doesn't work too well for me. Brylcreem actually leaves my hair looking most natural and works fairly well if I wash my hair first. Most days I go with the Fisticuffs figuring hair staying in place, while look dingy, is better than fright hair. If needed the water based pomades can be re-combed if you wet you hands and run through the hair first.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, Murray's Super Light and Royal Crown Pomade will be amazing options if you want ease of combing, light hold and excellent shine. Both are very effective and take great care of the hair and the scalp. Also, both are original pomades from the Golden Age. :thumbup:

Thank you for your replies.

If it's on the thin/limper side I would start with something like maybe brylcream/groom and clean. If it's thicker and stiffer then maybe consider one of the things you mentioned above. Those oil based pomades can be a bit of a commitment haha. There are also some decent water based pomades/clays/pastes that work well on short hair too but it really depends on a few factors:

Do you want to wash it out easily?
Do you want shine?
Do you want Matte?
Do you want to be able to re-style throughout the day?

I have read about Marco’s method of using olive oil to help wash it out after a few days. At this point my main concern would be that it helps keep it neat, and that I can comb/brush it back during the day if needed.
I am new to this, so I am curious to try some shine for a finish, but not a high shine.

I too kept my hair cut real short (#1 on the clippers weekly), but have been growing it out for a few months now. Very thin, unmanageable hair, thus the keeping it shaved for years. Originally blonde, now seasoned with lots of white & gray. CPAP mask harness adds to the unruliness. Water based pomades work very well for me, Suavecito and Fisticuffs give almost helmet hair, but darkens the hair color, almost an old greasy dirty look. Dove is a little lighter hold. Old Spice doesn't work too well for me. Brylcreem actually leaves my hair looking most natural and works fairly well if I wash my hair first. Most days I go with the Fisticuffs figuring hair staying in place, while look dingy, is better than fright hair. If needed the water based pomades can be re-combed if you wet you hands and run through the hair first.

How is the shine from the Brylcreem? I had read that is has a high shine finish. My hair sounds similar to yours (probably you have more on top).
Right now it is short as I am growing it out. I am thinking of getting Eau de Quinine now, and then picking up a Golden Age pomade to try a classic product and finish.

Sir, Murray's Super Light and Royal Crown Pomade will be amazing options if you want ease of combing, light hold and excellent shine. Both are very effective and take great care of the hair and the scalp. Also, both are original pomades from the Golden Age. :thumbup:

Would the finish be a low to medium shine on these Golden Age pomades? How would you describe their scents?

I am interested in trying the Golden Age pomades.

I don't notice a sheen to Brylcreem, but like I said it leaves my hair most natural looking. Maybe a little bigger dab-l-doya?

I don't like putting olive oil in my hair what a mess. Now you've maybe replaced one oil with another and have even more oil in your bathtub drain...no thanks. The shine you see from brylcream depends a little on your hair color and how much you apply. It's not expensive, grab a tube and try it. If it doesn't have enough hold try a water based pomade there are hundreds to choose from. You want to see what oil based pomades are like go grab the tub of vaseline out of your medicine chest and put it in your hair. It's basically the same stuff.

Last edited:
My dad was a greaser years ago, I've seen his pictures slicked back pompadour. He turns 75 this month. I asked him what he put in his hair. He told me Vaseline. I tried it years back…I won't do that again.

It's definitely not for everyone thats why I sometimes caution people. I like the stuff but I don't use it all the time I rotate through a lot of products.

My dad was a greaser years ago, I've seen his pictures slicked back pompadour. He turns 75 this month. I asked him what he put in his hair. He told me Vaseline. I tried it years back…I won't do that again.

Vaseline used to actually have a pomade. Petrolatum the main ingredient in Vaseline is in many of the old school pomades.
As for the recommendation I would second Marco's recommendation of Royal Crown. It should be readily accessible in most grocery stores too. You may have to look in the ethnic hair section. To remove your oil based pomade you can use the groom and clean. It will allow you to still style you hair but also allow for the oils in your pomade to break down so that you can wash them out. I follow this method with Murray's superior with good results.

I kinda do that too. I'll use groom and clean the day before I know I'm going to wash it out. That morning I load my hair up with conditioner before I get in the shower, or as soon as I get in and let it sit while I wash. Then I rinse it all out and shampoo as usual.

Vaseline used to actually have a pomade. Petrolatum the main ingredient in Vaseline is in many of the old school pomades.
As for the recommendation I would second Marco's recommendation of Royal Crown. It should be readily accessible in most grocery stores too. You may have to look in the ethnic hair section. To remove your oil based pomade you can use the groom and clean. It will allow you to still style you hair but also allow for the oils in your pomade to break down so that you can wash them out. I follow this method with Murray's superior with good results.

I have been perusing this thread for some time, and would like some advice on a product.

I have light coloured hair that is pretty sparse on top. I had shaved my head for about 20 years, but am growing it in
(at least sides and back :001_rolle).

Previously I had found that my thin hair was sticking out and not looking very neat.

I am in search of a product that will allow me to grow my hair a bit longer and comb/style it so it stays neat.

Looking at the various threads I am thinking of trying one of the following:
Murray's Super Light
Reuzel Green
Black & White
Royal Crown

Or do you think Pinaud Eau de Quinine or Tabac hair cream would be better to start with?

If your hair is thinning, I wouldn't go with any of the pomades you have on your list. I would use Murray's Superior and just a little of it. Murray's seems to work well with guys with thinning hair. The lighter pomades like the ones have on your list will cause your hair to clump up, which will make your thinning hair even more noticeable. I wouldn't use Brylcreem, because the mineral oil in that product causes hair to stick together. Murray's seems to be the best. Some men with thinning hair like to use clays. I wouldn't recommend those products because they make your hair look dirty and fake looking. I'm not a big fan of that type of look.

I have been using Reuzal for the last year or so, the pink worked really well when my I was wearing my pompadour long/high the wax does help with stronger hold.

But I have since had it cut to about 4" and the Reuzal Green (just grease, no wax) is now my go to pomade.

Although not a huge consideration they both smell good too.

I'm a dyed in the wool greaser, and have been using oil based pomades for more years than I care to remember, and have used Black and White, Dax red and blue, Sweet Georgia Brown red and blue and Murrays in the past, and Reuzal wins hands down.

For me Reuzal green works really well, and washes out much easier than many oil based pomades, but it will leave some residue, the olive oil and dishwashing liquid works wonders though.

Last edited:
Reuzel Green contains Beeswax :001_smile It is hands down my favorite. I also LOVE the grooming tonic and it has the same scent as the Green (apple) I've tried the Reuzel Red water based which also remains in my rotation.

I have been using Reuzal for the last year or so, the pink worked really well when my I was wearing my pompadour long/high the wax does help with stronger hold.

But I have since had it cut to about 4" and the Reuzal Green (just grease, no wax) is now my go to pomade.

Although not a huge consideration they both smell good too.

I'm a dyed in the wool greaser, and have been using oil based pomades for more years than I care to remember, and have used Black and White, Dax red and blue, Sweet Georgia Brown red and blue and Murrays in the past, and Reuzal wins hands down.

For me Reuzal green works really well, and washes out much easier than many oil based pomades, but it will leave some residue, the olive oil and dishwashing liquid works wonders though.

Thank you for the replies and advice.

I picked up Murray's Superior from the local Sally's Beauty Supply.

Tried it this morning. My hair is still short, but I wanted to see how it feels.

Wet my hair a bit and put some on,being careful not get too much in.
It was firm, but pliable in the tin. I liked the subtle scent.
I warmed up the tin a little by keeping in the pocket of my bathrobe for a bit while making breakfast.

Rubbed it between my finger a bit and then worked it into my hair. It was still firm and wax-like, and it took some time to get it evenly worked in.

It combed it and will see how it is during the day. It does make my hair feel nice.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thank you for the replies and advice.

I picked up Murray's Superior from the local Sally's Beauty Supply.

Tried it this morning. My hair is still short, but I wanted to see how it feels.

Wet my hair a bit and put some on,being careful not get too much in.
It was firm, but pliable in the tin. I liked the subtle scent.
I warmed up the tin a little by keeping in the pocket of my bathrobe for a bit while making breakfast.

Rubbed it between my finger a bit and then worked it into my hair. It was still firm and wax-like, and it took some time to get it evenly worked in.

It combed it and will see how it is during the day. It does make my hair feel nice.

Excellent choice indeed on Murray's Superior, Sir!

But wetting the hair before applying is pretty much useless because this is an oil based pomade, hence it won't mix with the water. If you want to get an easier way to apply it just heaten the pomade up with a hairdryer and it will soften up!

Excellent choice indeed on Murray's Superior, Sir!

But wetting the hair before applying is pretty much useless because this is an oil based pomade, hence it won't mix with the water. If you want to get an easier way to apply it just heaten the pomade up with a hairdryer and it will soften up!

Thank you. Yes I found that out. I warm up the pomade and then it is easy to spread in my fingers and hands for application.
It still tugs at my hair a bit.
It is interesting that after a short while it does not feel greasy. One thing I have noticed is that my scalp feel better.

How does your hair look with Murray's in it? Does it look better? Murray's is good stuff. It's surprising how inexpensive this high quality pomade is.

It looked nice overall. It did keep the hair from sticking out, and it was remarked that it had a light shine.
I think it was a bit darker in colour.

The point I really liked was that it made my scalp and hair feel better.

I used Marco's suggestion of de-greasing with a bit of olive oil before shampooing; worked great.

Top Bottom