What's new

Polsilver Super Iridium : I and I blade pif results and discussion thread.

Can someone break down the cost of each blade? Thanks.

I paid $39.74 shipped for 100 Polsilver Super Iridium blades from Jopo.

I paid $34 plus shipping for 100 Super Iridium blades from West Coast Shaving before they vanished from the US market. Milo was offering them for $52 per 100 in his last post here.

Popping into this thread because I coincidentally got a pack of Polsilvers to try (not from OP) and had my first shave with one this morning. I really liked the Super Iridiums--for me they were as "sharp" as a Feather blade but much "smoother." I did discover that--for me--best performance from the blade was highly dependent on the razor: a Merkur HD was optimum for me. So I loaded a Polsilver into my HD and gave it a whirl. If the Polsilver blades aren't exactly like SI's, they're damn close. Smooth, effortless BBS.

--Mark

Interesting, Mark.
When they come back around, I'll have to pick up a few dozen.
(Fortunately, I stocked the larder with the old Wizamet SIs some time ago, but it's always nice to have something close in quality to fall back on.)
-- Chet

I'm definitely having a love/hate relationship here. With the Polsilver, I feel like I'm getting a great shave, but the results a not as expected. Usually missed spots and irritation. I expect that with the right razor, it would be golden. My first attempt with a slim was awful...so I switched to a LC new. Better results, but nothing spectacular. I will try out the SI once this Polsilver feels bad during a shave.

So I swapped the Polsilver into a Merkur classic. It's a match! I've had two great shaves with a blade I've already had five shaves in two different razors. It's still sharp and smooth. Should have tried this match from the beginning. I will try the SI in it when the time comes...however my testing will be interrupted by a short trip to the beach next week.

I'm already a huge fan of the regular SI's so I saw the thread for the PSI's I grabbed a pack. I tried them out yesterday in my EJ89 and was rewarded with a great comfortable shave. I only had time for a 2-pass shower shave but the results were impressive nonetheless. I can't wait until I can take a PSI for a full 3 or 4 pass shave.

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one in the room who doesn't get a joke. :001_unsur:confused1 Here are my notes from today's shave with the Polsilver in the Fat Boy on 6.

Overall feel: 7.5 out of 10
Comments: About the same as the Super Iridum, with slightly less sting at the end, but a little less efficient: I can already feel a bit of stubble along my jawline, two hours after my shave. I'm starting to lose patience with both of these blades; what is the big screaming deal about them? The interest in them baffles me, when there are much cheaper blades that work just as well or better for me.

I'm not sure I can classify these as the same blade, since they consistently perform a little differently from each other in both razors I've tried so far. More to the point, I don't much love either blade. I'm wondering if I should forge ahead with a comparison in my Diplomat, or just pack it in. The first shave for each in the Diplomat will be the fifth or sixth pass for each, depending on how you count my shaving technique. Am I going to learn anything I didn't already know from that?

I agree there are cheaper blades but more importantly there are blades that work even better and are a lot easier to obtain. I have been using safety razors for less than a year but have tried just about every Russian and German blade that is available including Polsilver and SI as well as about 20 various soaps/pre shave preps. I have always been fascinated by the SI legacy and I am glad I have got over it. If they come my way then I will purchase again but my beard won't be having any withdrawl symptoms.

anybody used the russian Gillette silver blue, and can compare with the polsilver?

To me the silver blue is a very nice blade. smooth and very sharp

anybody used the russian Gillette silver blue, and can compare with the polsilver?

Yes, I'v e used both. If this answers your question - I bought both in quantity. I love SIs, but there are days I like the Silver Blues just as much. You'll find at least a couple posters around here who have bought very large quantities of Silver Blues.

I have yet to find any blade I prefer over the Gillette Silver Blues. I've tried Feathers, Iridium Supers, Polsilvers, Med Preps, Lab Blues, Kais, Sharks, Gillette Rubies, 7 O'Clock Blacks, Blues & Yellows, Super-Max Super Platinums, Titaniums & Blue Diamonds, Treet Classics, Personna Platinums, Astra SPs, Rapiras, Racers and a few more I can't recall just now.

have any of you tested these blades blindly. give your SWMBO an iridium and this polsilver iridium and have her hold on to the blade. since the blades are pretty much identical, have her throw out the wrapper and give you the blade. Then test out the other without seeing the wrapper. might help out to make better comparisons. I did a blind blade trial and was able to figure out what the iridiums were from my experience with them. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/258125-Blind-Testing-Blades-A-Randomized-Trial

The pols I tested were not the ones you all are looking at here. i'd be interested to see if SI vets could pick out the SI out of a line-up with these new Pols.

I have used both extensively. The polsilver is smoother and as sharp as SB.
I am going to try the Souplex with T&F ultimate comfort with razorock gel as preshave- it should be an interesting shave.

To my surprise so far the most consistent performers have been the Permasharp blades and they are so cheap from the Turkish vendor on the net. If you love the silver blue you will be amazed with these blades but like most wet shavers there is a constant obsession to keep trying different blades all the time. I personally am addicted to this aspect of shaving :innocent:

I have used both extensively. The polsilver is smoother and as sharp as SB.
I am going to try the Souplex with T&F ultimate comfort with razorock gel as preshave- it should be an interesting shave.

To my surprise so far the most consistent performers have been the Permasharp blades and they are so cheap from the Turkish vendor on the net. If you love the silver blue you will be amazed with these blades but like most wet shavers there is a constant obsession to keep trying different blades all the time. I personally am addicted to this aspect of shaving :innocent:

I like the permasharps, coz they are value for money, just a little less sharp than SB. Silver blue have the smoothness edge though

I get about 6 shaves on the SB and only 4 shaves on the permasharps :detective:

I wrote about stains I get from the permasharps

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/285472-Permasharp-super

have any of you tested these blades blindly. give your SWMBO an iridium and this polsilver iridium and have her hold on to the blade. since the blades are pretty much identical, have her throw out the wrapper and give you the blade.

As an owner of several thousand NOS SIs, I decided to do a somewhat similar blind test comparing a Polsilver SI a B&Ber here send me to my NOS SIs. I used two identical looking Fatboys, put one blade in each, did a three card monte shuffle so I couldn't remember which razor had which blade, and then shaved the left half of my face with one FB and the right with another. For the next four days I switched blades between razors, so there wouldn't be "razor bias." You can read the thread, but my ultimate findings what both the Polsiver SI and the NOS SI delivered roughly identical, wonderful shaves. If there was a difference, it seemed that the NOS SI still seemed to be delibering DFS results after six shaves, while the Polsilver SI seemed to get duller after this number.

Top Bottom