What's new

PILS Razor Review: ÜberBling, but does it Sing?

I have been quite happy shaving with vintage Gillette and Schick DEs, going so far as developing a thing for the Schick Krona (I have 11). So when I first saw the Pils razor, I was taken aback, even tho I have a thing for Teutonic technology. But I started hearing good things about the shave quality, so the Pils stuck to my radar—even though I had just purchased a Gillette #16, which gave me the finest shave of any razor to date. Frankly, I was in no mood to drop serious coin on another razor.

So that meant my next logical step was to order a Pils. The razor had grown on me to the point where I felt I had to try it, knowing I could sell it on the BST and get back most of my money if it turned out to be a failrazor.

Package arrives, upon unboxing I find myself impressed by the heft and tight tolerances of the razor, as well as the obvious care that went into producing it. Pils considers their product an artisanal one, and I have heard that they are produced/assembled by hand--whatever that means. And that sounds nice and all, but I only care about one thing—how it shaves.

So this morning I loaded the Pils up with a Super Iridium, lathered ups some T&H Grafton, and went to work. I usually make a 4 pass shave—WTG, WTG neck, ATG neck, then WTG again. I really like the Grafton as it gives me consistent results, as does the Iridius. I could have used a Personna 74, but the Iridiums tend to be a touch smoother and I was not up for taking any chances. Loading the blade into the Pils is easy, and has been described elsewhere, so I'll skip that.

Results:
First pass: Even though the blade has less curvature than your typical DE, being almost flat, the angle of attack is easy to find. Too much or too little of an angle and the razor won’t cut. I found the right angle immediately and went to work. I usually have a little tugging with the Iridium on the first pass (which goes away on subsequent passes) this morning the tugging was not as bad, especially at the base of the neck where I tend to get razor bumps. I checked my work and found that I had removed significantly more beard on my first pass than usual, with nor irritation. Not bad.

Second and third passes went well. I usually have a little irritation and dragging when I go ATG, especially at the jawline, there was none of that today.

My final pass is really nothing more than cleanup, as I have a few problem areas that seem to need repeated attention. This morning they were clean, so I skipped touch up. I'm feeling fancy now.

After washup, I checked my face and it seemed that I had less irritation than usual. My left side felt a bit smoother than my right, but that is typical.

It is 12 hours later, and my face still feels great.

Thoughts:

The Iridium seemed completely different in the Pils—it felt like a different blade, really. I didn’t expect that. I may end up trying some other blades to see if I notice any differences. The handle, once wet, is grippy enough. I still might prefer some knurling tho. The heft is impressive.

I thought the size of the head might make it less maneuverable. It is actually easy to maneuver, esp. under the nose. And no more worries about catching the blade corner on your nose. I need to shave with this razor some more, but so far I’m impressed with the results.

But I'm not the only Pils owner out there. Any other Pils owners like to post up their shave impressions? I'm going to post up my impressions for the next week or so.

Pix:

#16, Pils, Krona/Eversharp
proxy.php

Pils and Krona, compared:
proxy.php

Side Profile:
proxy.php

Loading the blade: there is no play in the blade once it contacts the tabs.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Once you put the cap on, the blade will have a slight curve to it. Not as much as a Gillette, tho.
proxy.php

proxy.php

The machining is impeccable, tolerances are tight.
proxy.php

Another view of the three.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
S

siouxsie

I'll add my impressions when it comes up in the roto.

Your review will do nicely. :001_smile

Some nice photos there, Stubblefield. My first impressions echo what you have put here. It is just a real joy to have with.

That is one of the coolest looking razors ever, I might have to look into getting one, your so lucky to have some Personna 74 blades!

Very nice write up Dex. I do very much like the look of the Pils and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to resist for too much longer.

My left side felt a bit smoother than my right, but that is typical.

Not to hijack this thread, but I notice this as well, no matter what razor I use. Just curious, are you right of left handed, and do you switch hands while shaving, or use the same one through the entire shave? I'm right handed, but am an ambi-shaver.

Great review and really fine photos. Thanks for your thorough explanation and description of this remarkable razor.

So where can I get one of these PILS razors? Seems interesting, I like the tabs for the razor blade. That is one thing I really hate about my Progress you have to perfectly align the blade. I'm also looking at the Feather Stainless DE.

Very nice write up Dex. I do very much like the look of the Pils and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to resist for too much longer.

John, I might be able to cut you a deal IF (and that's a big "if" :lol:) I find out I don't like mine...

So where can I get one of these PILS razors? Seems interesting, I like the tabs for the razor blade. That is one thing I really hate about my Progress you have to perfectly align the blade. I'm also looking at the Feather Stainless DE.

RoyalShave and ........................ have them in stock I believe... check out the vendor corner for updates when they come into stock!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your post. I'm now even more interested in picking up this razor. I've opted against the hexagonal version as I want a stainless steel razor. The 104NE is the one I've decided to purchase. Now, all I need to do is find a vendor that will ship to Canada.

Not to hijack this thread, but I notice this as well, no matter what razor I use. Just curious, are you right of left handed, and do you switch hands while shaving, or use the same one through the entire shave? I'm right handed, but am an ambi-shaver.
I'm a lefty, but not a switch-hitter. It generally takes me about a week of shaving with a new razor before I can get both sides even.

Thanks for your post. I'm now even more interested in picking up this razor. I've opted against the hexagonal version as I want a stainless steel razor. The 104NE is the one I've decided to purchase. Now, all I need to do is find a vendor that will ship to Canada.
I originally planned on getting the 118NN with the polished head, but am rally glad I went with the all stainless model. I still may end up picking up a 118NN at a later date if I like the razor enough. I wonder if you contact the two US vendors directly if they'd be willing to ship to CAN?

The tabs make loading the blade pretty easy, there is just no way for it to become misaligned.

Thanks to all of you for all the kind comments!

Last edited:
I originally planned on getting the 118NN with the polished head, but am rally glad I went with the all stainless model. I still may end up picking up a 118NN at a later date if I like the razor enough. I wonder if you contact the two US vendors directly if they'd be willing to ship to CAN?

I'll see what they say.

Agree completely with your first impressions and your experience with the PILS....they echo mine...what keeps baffling me with the PILS is that unlike most of my other razors...the angle is so easy to find and if you don't have it just right...the razor does nothing...at first I thought it was just too mild...fantastic shave with no irritation at all...

I may have to find a in-stock source for the gold plated in the near future, if it really is as smooth as you guys say, i wanted to try straights first though.

Echoing others, excellent review and great pics.

You guys are seriously chummin' the waters here! I've got my eye on the all-stainless version as well. Must...resist...

S

siouxsie

I plan on starting out with Sharp and 7 AM with this. See if it can turn below average blades into good performers. Or because I need to get rid of 4 singles because I'm a bit >>>> retentive.

Then it's on to a Wilkie LB and a Personna 74. Should be quite the contrast.

If it's bad, I can always toss 'em without feeling bad, since "I tried."

Top Bottom