What's new

*PICS* The difference between Pure, Best and Silvertip Badger.....

Thanks Joel! I was wondering if you could explain the differences between pure badger, best badger, finest badger, and silvertip insofar as where they come from on the badger, how they are made, why one is more expensive than the other, etc.

E

edybarkoczi

Hi Joel,

very good post :thumbup1:, may I ask you what was the knot size of this tree brushes? Thanks.

edy

Hello Joel,

whow, encredible!!! This is very helpful for me purchasing my first Edwin Jagger brush!
Many, many thanks for all the beautifull pics and the detailed describtion!

Kind regards from Germany

Michael!

Hey Joel? What a fantastic review. Pics always help when making a final decision. This has made my decision much easier and hands down the "Best" badger brush seems to be the more ideal choice.
I started googleing and I found this link even though i'm already a member here. Seems like the majority of links pertaining to wetshaving end up here. Good stuff.

Anyhow, I need to get a new brush because the entire inner part of my body shop brush decided to suddenly fall out during my lather session last night. LOL Now there's just an outer rim of bristle.

One question though, how do you know if you're getting the real deal?

I ask because i've seen some outstanding deals on ebay. Between $10 and $20 for Pure and Silvertips. The "Best" ones seem to be the only kind that reflect the same price margin as ones on popular sites.

This is the link for the search I did.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/__Badger-shaving-brush?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A1205&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Last edited:
Hey Joel? What a fantastic review. Pics always help when making a final decision. This has made my decision much easier and hands down the "Best" badger brush seems to be the more ideal choice.
I agree, this thread was very helpful in making my first brush purchase. I ended up buying a Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush from a well known seller on eBay. I feel confident that this was a sound choice, and this thread really helped.

I am getting the Crabtree & Evelyn Edwin Jagger Super Badger brush. Is this considered a Best or Silvertip or something in between? Also which will it perform most similar to?

Great Review!
I'd like to point all the gentlemen interested in an EJ Brush towards the Super Badger. I own both a Best and Super; the Best Badger is a small travel brush. The performance and finishing is superb. For a few Euros more, the Super Badger is a revelation. It combines the luxurious softness of a Silver Tip with the firmness of Best Badger. At 50 Euros it was a steal and has robbed me of an excuse for ever buying another brush...:wink:

proxy.php

M

maugutierrez1

What would you say my brush is?
I bought it online at the Truefitt & Hill website.

proxy.php

Great review Joel.

I would point out that Kent make a "Best" badger brush called a BK2 and it is also inexpensive and has the same qualities you describe for the Edwin Jagger.
Because it is inexpensive it tends to get overlooked. I used one for many happy years.

I also think that when you move up from best badger to silver tip, the brush is usually floppy but it does release the soap onto the face more easily. However, I think floppy brushes are useless for making a lather with soap.

Finally, there are the top grades of badger hair usually distinguished by a black band and a white top. This badger hair does it all. It retains the springyness of best badger (actually it is better) it creates a wonderfull fine dense lather from a soap, it holds lots of lather and it release the lather easily onto the face. Now it's expensive. But having used "best badger" and "black band silver tip badger", I would suggest that best badger is not in the same league. I wouldn't wish to go back to best having changed and I don't think it is a marginal difference.

So does a silvertip badger work for soap in a puck? I face lather and am using a pure badger Vulfix that I like but have a chance to get a used Penchetta silvertip at a reasonable price.

the c&e bbb was my first, and so far only brush 7 months into wetshaving. Its lathers my soaps beautifully, and is just the right level of roughness. Thankd goodnes, cuz i couldn't affor an sbad.

Once i've got a lil more funds, i'm going to grab one of these topquality that are like the bbb as far as springyness, but hold more water, and lather the face more readily.

the c&e bbb was my first, and so far only brush 7 months into wetshaving. Its lathers my soaps beautifully, and is just the right level of roughness. Thankd goodnes, cuz i couldn't affor an sbad.

Once i've got a lil more funds, i'm going to grab one of these topquality that are like the bbb as far as springyness, but hold more water, and lather the face more readily.

Start saving now and make the 2009 LE your second brush! :cool:

Top Bottom