What's new

*PICS* The difference between Pure, Best and Silvertip Badger.....

Damn fine tutorial this, I have the best badger brush, and I didn't really like it at first becuase I couldn't get it to lather properly, and now I'm getting mediocre lather at best. But after looking at your pictures, I understand why. First off, I didn't let it soak for more than maybe half a minute, and I only spinned it long enough on the soap to generate a look like your first pic. Now I'm gonna try duplicating you last pic, and see where it takes me... :)

I was heading for a Kent silvertip until I read this and decided the EJ best badger was a better bet for an everyday brush. Just used it for the first time this evening and the quality of the shave was massively improved by the excellent lather it generated. Worth every bean!

Chris

Wow what a review! Great info.

I started with a Omega synthetic just ordered a Fendrihan version of silvertip but a guess my next one will be a super badger. OMG I'm addicted :biggrin:

Marc

After buying a cheap n' nasty brush from The Body Shop (boar bristle? It was awful, and to think I was using it with a Pumaster straight at the time!), I bought a brass-handled "1903" silver-tip on sale from the GCT J. Peterman store in Manhattan when it was still around, and it's been my standard ever since. (Glad that Peterman eventually got the mail-order part of the operation going again, as their 1903 cologne is the only stuff I bother putting on...a truly "adult" cologne.) I've had it for over eight years, and it feels like it'll go for at least another eight.

proxy.php

(Yes, I need to clean up that handle a bit.)

- Barrett

Last edited:
Thanks for your wonderful review Joel; as a beginner I was a bit confused over all the different types of brush. I'm glad that you think the EJ Best Badger it is a great brush, as I have been eyeing one for a while now.

nice read. I hardly pay attention to stickies and only just noticed this one tonight. glad I decided to get a best badger brush rather than a pure. good job.

Very good review, thank you for that:001_smile

I found the best badger at http://www.theenglishshavingcompany...ger Best badger shaving brushes@b|0|user||35|
.... for $29,42. It seems to be the same...!??? BUT cheaper.

This might just be the one that i buy :thumbup1:

Kind regards Lars Jensen
I know you've already realised it's a different brush, but I'm just quoting you to just say thanks, as I have never heard of that online shop.

It's only 24.50 UK pounds (~au$55) for the medium EJ best badger from that site delivered to australia. That's very cheap for us!
It's au$50 for just a small pure badger brush from most shops here.

Thanks for the review Joel too. I read you review ages ago, and that's what made me want to buy a C&E or EJ BB brush, but I never knew where to get them until now.
Our au$ sucks to the greenback right now, but it's business as usual when compared to UK pounds, so better to buy from the UK for us aussies.

Last edited:
No, that's the Pure Badger travel brush.

The C&E BBB that gets referenced so much on B&B is this one:

http://store.crabtree-evelyn.co.uk/invt/130291&bklist=icat,5,shop,collections,edwinjagger,130291

Its item number is #130291, and unfortunately it hasn't been in stock on the C&E website for over three months. In fact, it appears that it's not even listed on their website anymore. You may be able to find one at a C&E store still, but I'm not sure when they'll be available through C&E online again.

If you do go to a C&E store, make sure you write down that item number. Their staff can be a little... "confused"... when it comes to their various shaving brushes and you don't want to end up buying something that you don't want.

Additionally, you can do what I did and order the medium Edwin Jagger BBB from TESC here:

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany...ger Best badger shaving brushes@b|0|user||38|

It's the same thing as the C&E BBB (Edwin Jagger provides C&E with their brushes) and, even with shipping from the UK, you can usually snag it for ~$35.

Hope this helps!

No, that's the Pure Badger travel brush.

The C&E BBB that gets referenced so much on B&B is this one:

http://store.crabtree-evelyn.co.uk/invt/130291&bklist=icat,5,shop,collections,edwinjagger,130291

Its item number is #130291, and unfortunately it hasn't been in stock on the C&E website for over three months. In fact, it appears that it's not even listed on their website anymore. You may be able to find one at a C&E store still, but I'm not sure when they'll be available through C&E online again.

If you do go to a C&E store, make sure you write down that item number. Their staff can be a little... "confused"... when it comes to their various shaving brushes and you don't want to end up buying something that you don't want.

Additionally, you can do what I did and order the medium Edwin Jagger BBB from TESC here:

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany...ger Best badger shaving brushes@b|0|user||38|

It's the same thing as the C&E BBB (Edwin Jagger provides C&E with their brushes) and, even with shipping from the UK, you can usually snag it for ~$35.

Hope this helps!

It helps tremendously. I am going for the small size as I have a beard and shave only part of my cheeks and under the jaw line. This size helps me control application of the lather. Thanks so much for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Joel. I found this to be very informative. I am relatively new to this and recently bought a $15 Tweezerman badger brush, knowing that I'd be upgrading to a better brush at some point. Your tutorial has gone a long way toward helping me pick my next (perhaps last?) brush.

Mike

Top Bottom