What's new

Picked up a super speed from an antique store

Found this the other day. Came back today to buy it after seeing something similar at another store for 45 bucks. Got this for 9 bucks. I have some before and after pics.

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

All 3 of mine together

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black tip superspeed is a nice one - I picked one up yesterday with box and instructions. And a manufacturing defect!

Thanks I got it from brass armadillo
Nice find and a good price! My wife and I always go to both Brass Armadillos whenever we pass through Phoenix. First time we when there one vendor had an entire display case full of 1940's Aristocrates, Fat Boys, Slims, etc. I didn't pick up anything that first time. Next time passing through Phoenix I was going to buy an Aristocrat, and the vendor was no longer there! You gotta buy 'em when you see 'em otherwise you may not get a second chance. Other than that display case, I found the Brass Armadillo sparse on razors. If you were wondering, that razor is from 1951 and the blade date code indicates the razor was probably last used around 1963.

Nice find and a good price! My wife and I always go to both Brass Armadillos whenever we pass through Phoenix. First time we when there one vendor had an entire display case full of 1940's Aristocrates, Fat Boys, Slims, etc. I didn't pick up anything that first time. Next time passing through Phoenix I was going to buy an Aristocrat, and the vendor was no longer there! You gotta buy 'em when you see 'em otherwise you may not get a second chance. Other than that display case, I found the Brass Armadillo sparse on razors. If you were wondering, that razor is from 1951 and the blade date code indicates the razor was probably last used around 1963.

Yeah that's what I hear... I've only gone to the one off the 17. I didn't see a lot.. maybe 2 safety. The other I saw was 35 bucks or so. Some gold gillette. I went to Zola bells antiques based on a suggestion and they had one Gillette and it was like 45 bucks haha. I'll keep looking around at the other antique places. I'd go to razor emporium but there's no thrill in the hunt.

What's the defect?

It's an interesting one. There's a tiny hole in the aluminum in the bottom ring, just above the black tip. It's clearly a manufacturing flaw due to the size and shape of the hole, and the condition of the rest of the razor.

If you look at the second photo in this post, you'll see the hole. - http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum...ideo-we-love-pics.495902/page-99#post-8857342

There's no deformation around the edges, as you'd see if it was punched through. I suspect the aluminum was cast, rather than extruded, but what do I know :)

It's an interesting one. There's a tiny hole in the aluminum in the bottom ring, just above the black tip. It's clearly a manufacturing flaw due to the size and shape of the hole, and the condition of the rest of the razor.

If you look at the second photo in this post, you'll see the hole. - What are you unpacking/ opening today, show pics or video, we love pics

There's no deformation around the edges, as you'd see if it was punched through. I suspect the aluminum was cast, rather than extruded, but what do I know :)

Yeah I see... so did you get that razor cleaned up?

Yup - last picture is of it with none of the gook on it, but it hasn't been polished yet. The stuff I used, once it soaked for an hour, the ultrasonic cleaner made it all just pop off - even the yellow stuff that was like plastic.

Yup - last picture is of it with none of the gook on it, but it hasn't been polished yet. The stuff I used, once it soaked for an hour, the ultrasonic cleaner made it all just pop off - even the yellow stuff that was like plastic.
So I've seen you refer to the "stuff you use" before. Do you share.....What's the secret recipe or is it a secret? Just curious.

So I've seen you refer to the "stuff you use" before. Do you share.....What's the secret recipe or is it a secret? Just curious.

Not really a secret, but I don't know how to let others use it yet. I haven't found a retail outlet for it. There's a surfactant called SC-1000, made by a company called GemTek. My family used to wholesale the stuff between the manufacturers and companies like Whataburger, hotels, etc. So we still have a couple of gallons of it hanging around.

I found on two or three razors, so far, that if I combine 1-2% SC-1000 with the same amount of Dawn, and start the soak in hot water, after two hours or so, almost everything just falls off. Two hits with the ultrasonic cleaner and all the old scum was history, even before the toothbrush. I just used the toothbrush for a quickie polish (just the bristles, no Flitz yet).

I think the surfactant breaks the bonds, and the detergent breaks things down and keeps everything from sticking again, so once everything is thoroughly saturated, whap.

Not really a secret, but I don't know how to let others use it yet. I haven't found a retail outlet for it. There's a surfactant called SC-1000, made by a company called GemTek. My family used to wholesale the stuff between the manufacturers and companies like Whataburger, hotels, etc. So we still have a couple of gallons of it hanging around.

I found on two or three razors, so far, that if I combine 1-2% SC-1000 with the same amount of Dawn, and start the soak in hot water, after two hours or so, almost everything just falls off. Two hits with the ultrasonic cleaner and all the old scum was history, even before the toothbrush. I just used the toothbrush for a quickie polish (just the bristles, no Flitz yet).

I think the surfactant breaks the bonds, and the detergent breaks things down and keeps everything from sticking again, so once everything is thoroughly saturated, whap.
Cool :thumbup1:

Top Bottom