What's new

Parker Variant Problems!

Just received my Parker Variant Black Handle in the mail from WCS and I found some issues right off the bat and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same.

1. Handle (barrel) crooked. Not pointed at 90 degree angle. The barrel itself is straight but its crooked from where its connected to the head. When I first opened the box, I held the razor in my hand and looked at it from the point of view that looks like a "T" and the barrel was pointed maybe 3 degrees to the right. I know it's only 3 degrees but I could totally tell it was crooked right away.

2. From settings 1.5 to 4.5, top cap is not level. Again when looking at the razor from the "T" view, the side of the head where it doesn't have the alignment marks seems to "lag" when adjusting numbers. So if I'm at setting 1, then start to turn the adjustment knob to the higher settings, the side where it has the alignment marks has moved up way higher than the other side. This is again viewing it from the "T" POV.

Hopefully I explained this well enough so you guys have a good idea of what's wrong with this Variant and maybe others who have had the same issues. I'm thinking of returning it back to WCS for a new one.

Thanks guys.

Return it. WCS is good with that. But be quick, the black handled ones move faster than the gray satin finished ones. Also, a couple of online vendors are sending back the black handled ones of Q/C issues such as yours and of the black plating not being of good quality. I know SSR has requested Parker to reevaluate the finish and quality of the Variant. Good Luck.....:thumbup1:

2. From settings 1.5 to 4.5, top cap is not level. Again when looking at the razor from the "T" view, the side of the head where it doesn't have the alignment marks seems to "lag" when adjusting numbers. So if I'm at setting 1, then start to turn the adjustment knob to the higher settings, the side where it has the alignment marks has moved up way higher than the other side. This is again viewing it from the "T" POV.

Mine is the same so don't expect your replacement to be different. The tilt is so minimal I didn't even notice it for several weeks. I assume it is a design characteristic.

I had finish problems on the black handled one I purchased. Returned it and got the gray satin with no quibbles. Have not noticed a crooked handle, mine seems fine.

I do know that it has become my favorite and is a great shaver

Mine is the same so don't expect your replacement to be different. The tilt is so minimal I didn't even notice it for several weeks. I assume it is a design characteristic.

So I contacted WCS last night via email. Got a response from Kevin this morning and I was asked to "verify" the issue with the razor by sending them photos of it. I sent them photos of the razor with grid paper in the background for quick reference of the tilt and Kevin confirmed my return.
He also added they are completely out of all Variant razors so I have to wait 2-3 weeks. If the next Variant I receive from WCS has the same tilt issue, I think I will notify them of it but keep the razor as I hear too many good things about it.
I'm also going to try to score a Progress for comparison.

I'm going to try to post photos of the original Variant asap.

$razor.jpg$razor1.jpg

The "tilt" I mentioned was in regard to [MENTION=72029]mvillezcas[/MENTION] point #2 in the original post. My handle is straight.

The "tilt" I mentioned was in regard to @mvillezcas point #2 in the original post. My handle is straight.

I spoke to someone else who had a similar issue and said the "tilt" of the cap was cause when he tried to straighten out his handle. So he started off with a straight cap/head when the handle was crooked and then cause a tilted cap when he tried to bend the handle in a straight position.

This is a joke. I was seriously contemplating getting one. I thought Merkurs quality control was spotty. Makes me think the vintages are still the way to go. I'm sure I could drop 50-60 bucks on a pristine Fatboy in a case with no problems, unless it was dropped. Bless you guys, I wouldnt have patience for this kind of crap. 50 bucks to me is alot of money.

Last edited:
Easy there big fellow. Here's a picture of the tilt down to the right about .1mm. that's setting 3.

Pretty sure it's caused by the spring pushing the cap and platen to one side of the handle. I guess Parker could have designed a tighter tolerance but that might result in sticking. I don't think my face notices it at all. Shaves like a dream.

$IMG_0364.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom