What's new

Parker 51 fountain pen praise (redux)

Just did my weekly fillings:

1. Flighter - Legal Lapis
2. Crescent Filler - Noodlers Black
3. Edison 76 - Noodlers Texas Blue Bonnet (thanks Jakespoppy)
4 '49 "51" cursive italic - PR Chocolat

BTW, you mean an Edson, not an Edison, right? What is an Edson 76?

Thought I'd post a few quick and dirty (REALLY dirty, as in poor cell phone pics) of some of my 51s, just to show you can never have enough of them. :biggrin:

Here's quite a few (with some straggler non-51s thrown in, like a couple of "toothbrush" Duofolds, a Big Red and a lapis Duofold, and a Pilot MYU/Murex):

proxy.php

The photos stink, but there are several vacumatic filler as well as aerometric, both double jewel and single jewel, and many with special caps (including lined sterling and a couple with the "window pane" Heritage caps and solid gold trim). There are also a couple of semi-custom jobs that Ernesto Soler did for me, on which he took some scratched or dented sterling lined caps and turned them into either brushed finish or gorgeous mirror-finish caps. I actually have one of the mirror-finish sterling caps on one of my plum aerometric 51s (I still have the original steel lustraloy cap for it as well).

In the group of 4 loose horizontal pens on the right, the middle one is a vacumatic-fill, double jewel in the rare nassau green color. The one on the bottom (in the fold of the pen case) is a gorgeous black double jewel with a perfect, pristine lined sterling cap.

Because the color is so bad in the photo, it's hard to tell the difference, but there is also a flighter pen (all brushed stainless steel), as well as a signet pen and pencil set (all gold-fill caps and barrels).

Here is a close-up of the Heritage cap (gold fill window-pane design). It's the second cap from the left. The clip is 14K solid gold, as is the barrel end tassie.

proxy.php

The middle cap in this photo is like the Heritage cap, except that it only has concentric hoizontal rings and is gold filled (no solid gold clip). It is an English made Parker 51 with a gorgeous, smooth medium nib). BTW, the cap on the right is one of the custom, brushed sterling caps that Ernesto did for me. It's on a demi-size aerometric 51 with a factory original stub nib.

proxy.php

Here's a close-up of the 4 pens I discussed earlier. The nassau green is second from left. To its right is an aerometric in rare plum color.

proxy.php

I'll try to post better photos later.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Group shot:

proxy.php

Some groups in close-up:

proxy.php

proxy.php

From top to bottom: a beautiful double-jewel vacumatic fill 51 in cedar blue; a rare double jewel vac filler in nassau green; a rare aerometric fill in plum (it's plum, not burgundy, believe me. The lighting makes it look a bit lighter than it really is).

proxy.php

A close-up of the same trio:

proxy.php

Cheers,

Andy

What a nice collection, Andy!

Really want to start using fountain pens instead of ballpoint. I think the 51 would be a nice option...

Legion

Staff member
Sweet pen. I have may different fountain pens but the one I write with all day, every day is a Parker 51. They are built like tanks. In this way, it kind of reminds me of my 40s Superspeed. It may be 50-60 years since these were produced, but none of the subsequent "innovations" have improved on the function or durability of either.

Yes, good analogy. I've always thought of the 51 as the 40's SS of the pen world too.

I am, at this very moment, sitting at my desk at work filling in paperwork with a Parker 51. This particular one cost me $5 at a yard sale a year or so ago and has been used almost daily ever since. I have dozens of fountain pens but the 51's are my favorite.

Yes, good analogy. I've always thought of the 51 as the 40's SS of the pen world too.

I am, at this very moment, sitting at my desk at work filling in paperwork with a Parker 51. This particular one cost me $5 at a yard sale a year or so ago and has been used almost daily ever since. I have dozens of fountain pens but the 51's are my favorite.

+1, excellent analogy. :thumbup:

Top Bottom