What's new

Parker 26C

After using the Parker 26C for a month, I'm thinking about branching out and trying something more aggressive. Any suggestions from those that have also used the 26C?

You could try a Gillette NEW vintage razor. It's just slightly more aggressive. Or if you want to take a bigger step up, try a Fatip. But be warned, the Fatip is very aggressive but smooth.
./.

After using the Parker 26C for a month, I'm thinking about branching out and trying something more aggressive. Any suggestions from those that have also used the 26C?
My son had been using the 26c for about a year and thought it was the greatest razor ever. Then, this past week, he used my New Short Comb and fell in love. I had him try my Long Comb for comparison, but he (and I) did not like it quite as much as the SC version.

I agree a NEW would be the next step up but it's not a big jump. I love my 26C; quite surprised at it's overall performance but it is a bit mild. If you want the next step up from the NEW you could try the ATT M2 or the other ATT plates to keep getting aggressive. Pricey but I love mine. I try and use my 26C at least once a week. Oddly enough it has become my Monday morning shaver; tackling 2-days of growth with ease and silky smooth. I'm sure there is something more reasonably priced that's more aggressive than the NEW but I am only familiar with those I mentioned here.

the Cadet/Pearl/Maggard heads are pretty aggressive....you can get a Cadet open comb for about $25 shipped....I recently got one and I can say it is on the aggressive side....I do like it and may try one of their TTO's or another open comb after my self imposed purchase sabbatical for lent

Thanks for the input guys. I've been checking out the AAT razors, seems like they have a good range of mild to aggressive. I'm a reformed straight razor guy, so I think I can handle the aggressive models.

Finally got back to using my 26c today, and thought I'd give it some love here. Tossed in a Lord Platinum (which was horrible in my Merkur 34c btw) and had a wonderful shave. Not only is it a super smooth OC razor, it's also an automatic water dispenser! Even after shaking the razor of the excess water from rinsing, quite a bit is still left and seeps out when you make the first couple strokes. Kinda hard to explain, but may even help increase slickness as I shave.

In any case, still a great, smooth shaver I very much enjoy :001_smile

To all those owners of the Parker 26C or 24C, how's it holding up after a few months (or years) of use? Any quality issues? Where does it sit in comparison to the other razors you own? Are you still using it often, or has it taken a back seat?

I'm a newbie, currently using a Muhle R89, but already thinking about adding another razor to the Den - preferably an OC. Its either going to be the 24C or a Merkur 15C. I'd probably prefer the 24C out of concern that the black plating on the 26C might start wearing off, but I do admit the black handle does look better. The chrome handle on the 24C appears to look a little flashy. IMO, it just seems like the Parker designers are trying too hard to make it look great (also, the double elephant feet looks a little over-done). I do wonder whether its looks might grow on me though. Even though the Merkur 15C looks classier, I'm concerned that it will probably give a more mild shave than my existing Muhle R89 and as a result, it might just end-up sitting in the drawer. So I'm not sure which way to go at this stage.

I have the 26C and have been using it regularly for about 4 months. At this point it's one of my favorite razors, very mild OC and I use it 2-3 times per week. I really feel it's virtually impossible to cut yourself with this razor as I have occasionally ripped through some shaves where I thought for sure I would come out bloody but didn't.

I usually reserve the 26C for days when I have more than one day of growth and it mows it down very well, smooth comfortable shaves. I would highly recommend the 26C and I have had no problems with the black handle.

The 26c remains one of my son's two favorite razors and one of the razors in my regular rotation. This past week, I gave him my Maggard MR8 monster handle to try on his 26c. Bottom line: He fell in love with the combo. If you 26c fans haven't tried using the head on a heavier handle, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

Regarding the durability, he uses his daily and I use mine periodically. Neither one of us has run into any issues and the black handles have remained black.

The 26c is a great razor, like other describe it is incredibly smooth and comfortable but also extremely efficient. My 26c was my first venture into the OC world, and I have no plans on going back to a SB any time soon. After picking up the 26c I also ended up getting a Fatip, and PAA Symmetry, and a Merkur 41c. The Fatip and Symmetry were both too aggressive for me as an every day shaver. I really like the 41c because it is very mild and smooth, but doesn't shave nearly as close as the 26c does, which is pretty much in that sweet spot for me. I actually have a Wolfman WR1-OC being delivered today so I'm planning on selling my 26c, but not because it isn't a great razor.

If you like the 26c but want to try other OC razors, try a vintage Gillette New (either Short Comb or Long Comb, although my son and I both prefer the Short Comb version). Buy a user grade sample without any mechanical defects, such as bent teeth. If you love it, you can get it replated. If you don't, you can sell it for about what you paid for it. If you want to spring for a higher ticket item, try an Above the Tie M2. Also very mild but very efficient.

I've had the 24c for about a year, and it's in perfect shape and is a great razor. The only problem is that I find it a bit too mild for me. My daily razor right now is the 24C handle with a Parker straight bar razor head. Perfect combination for me.

Thanks for the input Fella's,

I pulled the trigger today and have a 24C on the way. I should receive it within a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to shaving with it.

Are there any quality issues I need to be aware of when I examine it once it arrives? I currently have a Muhle R89, which has flawless chrome plating. I'm assuming the plating on the Muhle should probably not be used as a benchmark, otherwise the 24C might fall way short of meeting my expectations.

Should I expect any tooling marks, plating scuffs, minor lumps, etc. Or should the plating be close enough to perfect? I'm just not sure what to expect and whether any little imperfection would be considered normal with a Parker razor (This might be a case of YMMV).

The best shave comes from my 26C - No question so ill give that 10 for shave, 8 build chrome>brass, 10 value =28/30 US$25
ATT-S2 (OC/Slant) 8 shave, 9.5 build as its SS/301, 5 value =22.5/30 US$185
iKon 102 Slant, 7.5 shave, 9 for build /Au, 7 value =23.5/30 US$110
iKon 101 OC/Bar, 7 shave, 9 for build /Au, 7 value =23/30 US$110
R41 OC 8 shave (aggressive), 8 build, 8 value = 24/30 US$50
37C SLANT, 6 shave (aggressive), 6 for build, 6 value =18/30 US$50
Phenix DOC 8 shave (mild), 6 for build, 7.5 value = 21.5/30 US$35

The best shave comes from my 26C - No question so ill give that 10 for shave, 8 build chrome>brass, 10 value =28/30 US$25
ATT-S2 (OC/Slant) 8 shave, 9.5 build as its SS/301, 5 value =22.5/30 US$185
iKon 102 Slant, 7.5 shave, 9 for build /Au, 7 value =23.5/30 US$110
iKon 101 OC/Bar, 7 shave, 9 for build /Au, 7 value =23/30 US$110
R41 OC 8 shave (aggressive), 8 build, 8 value = 24/30 US$50
37C SLANT, 6 shave (aggressive), 6 for build, 6 value =18/30 US$50
Phenix DOC 8 shave (mild), 6 for build, 7.5 value = 21.5/30 US$35
Murker 15C 4 shave (very mild), 6 for build, 5 value=15/30 I paid $25 but they sell RRP for twice that!

Top Bottom