What's new

Owen's accountability thread

The simplest rule to losing weight is you have to burn more calories than you take in. Don't try to over do it burning calories, just try to limit what you take in.

There's the crux of the matter, portion size, how much you take in.

I'll suggest staying away from restaurants unless you have a favourite with thimble size servings, restaurant portion sizes are obscenely oversized. Use a small plate at home so even though the plate is full the amount of food it contains is a good deal less then the old plate. No bowls of food on the table, serve at the stove, eat at the table, what's on the plate is the meal, no second helpings. If there's food in sight i'll eat it.

Good luck Owen! All the best going forward, with you and your wife on the same page with the changes you want to make, the support you can offer each other is invaluable!

dave

Show up, don't compare yourself to others in the gym, leave ego at the door and you'll enjoy the process. Set a performance goal such as a 5K run; this way you'll be able to measure and get real feedback. You made a great decision.

Happy Birthday Owen!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks all. The wife is looking forward to checking it out with me tomorrow

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just did (for me) the hardest mental part- I walked in the door and talked. The place has lots of great equipment, and the hydromassage chairs were the final push. I go tomorrow to talk to someone about designing a starting workout for me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My father had some words of advice and encouragement for me. He started working out again and has lost 70lbs in 7 months. He sent a pic- he has abs. So far, not a 6 pack but a solid 4. It's now on like Donkey Kong. If my 70 year old father can get his groove back, then so can I.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I hope that doesn't sound bad. I look up to my dad, and always will. Just a little friendly competition.

Good on you ... I'm in a similar boat.

I'm 44, was really in what I would call peak fitness a couple years back, but then I moved to a city that wasn't as cycling friendly as where I was living, plus I took a job that put me in the car for two hours a day and it was a northern city so the cycling season was short.

I put on lots of weight, but I'm back fighting through it now. Been back at the bike, on my indoor trainer, for about a month now, and like some have said, I'm using MyFitnessPal to track intake and exercise. Good luck!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good on you ... I'm in a similar boat.

I'm 44, was really in what I would call peak fitness a couple years back, but then I moved to a city that wasn't as cycling friendly as where I was living, plus I took a job that put me in the car for two hours a day and it was a northern city so the cycling season was short.

I put on lots of weight, but I'm back fighting through it now. Been back at the bike, on my indoor trainer, for about a month now, and like some have said, I'm using MyFitnessPal to track intake and exercise. Good luck!
Keep up the good work
Good on you, Owen! I wish you luck!
Thanks Ed
Will you turn over your pipes to the Brown Leaf for safe keeping?
Nah, I don't generally inhale the pipe.

It is now official- we be stopping on the way home from work.

pf.JPG

Hang in there, don't get discouraged if it seems like you're not getting anywhere at first. I've done what you're beginning to do, and it goes on a lot quicker than it comes off. I lost a third of my weight in a couple of years by walking, cycling, and changing my dietary lifestyle. At 5'9" I was probably close to 280 and have averaged 170 for many years now. Just don't give up, and don't overdo it to begin with. Getting hurt is counterproductive. Good luck !

Good luck Owen. I have recently dropped about 47-48 pounds and am close to my initial goal of 50 pounds by the time I turn 54 in May. Same issues. 6 foot, 260lbs. And bloody tired of it. I started on 15 July of 2016 and dropped 40 in four nonths. And no, it was not 'too fast' as some would have me believe. Most people boomerang in their weight for one main reason; they go back to the same habits they had before.

Here's what I do. First, I quit the restaurants for typical meals. Mostly a small Caesar salad or similar. Too tempting to go with regular plates. I also simply made myself cut way back on helpings. Yeah, helpings, not portions. Portions are on one plate. Two heaping plates of spaghetti is not exactly portion conntrol. I eat nothing labeled low fat or diet or whatever. I just eat less. And after a month or two I found I didn't want to eat lots. And if I do overeat I am miserable. So it is now much easier.

Next up is the scales. Just stay off them for the first month or so. You will get hung up on numbers. I kept off for two months til I noticed my trousers getting really loose. Then I hit the scales and was rewarded with a drop of twenty five pounds. And no matter what anyone tells you your body will plateau in weights. I have dropped only five or six pounds in the last 3-4 months but do not eat more than I did. I need to mix it up. Both diet and workout routine. They body needs to re-educate itself at times.

Most importantly just stick to something. The overall diet is the most important. Gyms? Yep, do it daily but it is for health and fitness. The plate and fork effect the weight loss. Also, I treat the diet and gym like a part time job. It is something I need to do. Just like guys who work extra jobs for need of money, I do it for my health. I don't despise it but the gym is work and don't let anyone kid you. Just like the bloke working for extra money, I do it because I need and want to. Not because I am'addicted' to it like some people claim they are. Just trying to say the gym is a regimen you must stick to if you want consistent benefits. Same as the food intake. If I can do it, so can you. Needless to say, if you are diabetic, have heart disease, etc, listen to a doctor and NOT me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hang in there, don't get discouraged if it seems like you're not getting anywhere at first. I've done what you're beginning to do, and it goes on a lot quicker than it comes off. I lost a third of my weight in a couple of years by walking, cycling, and changing my dietary lifestyle. At 5'9" I was probably close to 280 and have averaged 170 for many years now. Just don't give up, and don't overdo it to begin with. Getting hurt is counterproductive. Good luck !
Thanks
Good luck Owen. I have recently dropped about 47-48 pounds and am close to my initial goal of 50 pounds by the time I turn 54 in May. Same issues. 6 foot, 260lbs. And bloody tired of it. I started on 15 July of 2016 and dropped 40 in four nonths. And no, it was not 'too fast' as some would have me believe. Most people boomerang in their weight for one main reason; they go back to the same habits they had before.

Here's what I do. First, I quit the restaurants for typical meals. Mostly a small Caesar salad or similar. Too tempting to go with regular plates. I also simply made myself cut way back on helpings. Yeah, helpings, not portions. Portions are on one plate. Two heaping plates of spaghetti is not exactly portion conntrol. I eat nothing labeled low fat or diet or whatever. I just eat less. And after a month or two I found I didn't want to eat lots. And if I do overeat I am miserable. So it is now much easier.

Next up is the scales. Just stay off them for the first month or so. You will get hung up on numbers. I kept off for two months til I noticed my trousers getting really loose. Then I hit the scales and was rewarded with a drop of twenty five pounds. And no matter what anyone tells you your body will plateau in weights. I have dropped only five or six pounds in the last 3-4 months but do not eat more than I did. I need to mix it up. Both diet and workout routine. They body needs to re-educate itself at times.

Most importantly just stick to something. The overall diet is the most important. Gyms? Yep, do it daily but it is for health and fitness. The plate and fork effect the weight loss. Also, I treat the diet and gym like a part time job. It is something I need to do. Just like guys who work extra jobs for need of money, I do it for my health. I don't despise it but the gym is work and don't let anyone kid you. Just like the bloke working for extra money, I do it because I need and want to. Not because I am'addicted' to it like some people claim they are. Just trying to say the gym is a regimen you must stick to if you want consistent benefits. Same as the food intake. If I can do it, so can you. Needless to say, if you are diabetic, have heart disease, etc, listen to a doctor and NOT me.
Thanks. My father said pretty much what you did. He has been at it most of his life, but the last 5 or 6 years he slacked off. Oh, and I read your story not long ago, and it played a part in getting my mind heading in the right direction.

Top Bottom