What's new

Open Comb Techs

The recent threads about the Tech had me looking at the Techs in my possession .I have two open comb Techs one Gillette and one Nacet ,the handles are the same size and both are aluminium ,the top caps are branded but otherwise very similar .The baseplates have corner cutouts and have combs but that is where the similarities end , the Nacet has 13 teeth and has a longer combs and the Gillette has 11 teeth and short combs .Might be an incorrect way to classify the razors but the Nacet looks like a long comb and the Gillette a short comb . From reading other threads I believe that there are other OC Techs but I'm not sure if they are all produced by Gillette and branded with other names and if the combs are different with each brand ?

$Techs.jpg

Nacet on the left Gillette on the right

$Tech Gillette 2.jpg$Tech Gillette.jpg

The Gillette

$Tech Nacet 2.jpg$Tech Nacet.jpg

The Nacet

Glenn

Nice comparison photos. I believe all of the versions were made by Gillette and stamped with different branding. Nacet and Minora were Gillette owned brands. I've seen three different comb variations and two different cap styles all with various brand stamps on the caps.

The thread below shows two different Nacet versions:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/320895-Open-comb-Nacet-razor

This thread shows another Gillette stamped version similar to the Nacet shown in the thread above:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/312371

I've also seen one with the Lion Minora stamp on the cap.

Here is one with the Minora brand stamped on the cap.

Here are my comparison photos of my Gillette stamped version.

Side by side with aluminum handle tech of the same vintage.
$compare.jpg $compare2.2.jpg

With British LC New.
$comareTN.jpg

$octc1.jpg

$oct2.jpg

Last edited:
They are really light at only 32 g . It has been a while since I shaved with them but as memory serves they were a similar shave to the 1950s Made in England Tech with an Aluminium handle and oval slots,pretty mild and you can get a decent shave if you take your time .When it comes to the Brit Techs the Hybrid / NEW Tech is my favourite and the flat bottom Tech is also a good shave.

Glenn

The version I have is a bit different. The corner teeth are shaped differently, the base plate has slots and the top cap has the ridges for the slots. The top cap also doesn't have the facets, so I don't think it's Zamak. It's pretty mild, but I still get a nice shave from it.

$20160601_214709.jpg $20160601_214647.jpg

Edit:

I think this is actually the correct top cap for it:

$20160601_215322.jpg $20160601_215333.jpg

Last edited:
I am skeptical. I have never seen or heard of an open combed Gillette Tech.

I submit we may be looking at "Frankenstein" razors, cobbled by private individuals from miscellaneous parts and not designed, made, or authorized by Gillette.

Last edited:
Is there anything on the back of this case to indicate model No. or set No.? I really doubt it but if ya don't ask....

attachment.php

Top Bottom